At the movies

Later works? Inglorious Basterds and Django are later works!
l am not a Tarantino fan, but l will be interested to see his version of the Charlie Manson/Sharon Tate murders.

Yep. Right now I donā€™t remember a lot of what I saw, but jeez I remember how I felt.

Only three movies have ever made my heart justā€¦ fkn drop. The original Saw (the reveal), Children of Men (driving through the forest) and Dunkirk. Difference being in Dunkirk that it happened like 6 or 7 times.

1 Like

I did my level best to watch Reservoir Dogs but about Ā¾ of the way through I just couldnā€™t take any more of men shouting ā– ā– ā– ā–  at each other.

I do like Pulp Fiction and my favourite is Jackie Brown. I havenā€™t watched any of the others.

I loved the tension building in scenes from Inglorious Basterds

I saw Dunkirk at Imax. Awesome experience. One thing Iā€™ll say is that the sound effects were very realistic.

I saw Dunkirk at the cinema and bought the UHD version. Pretty damn good, I thought. It didnā€™t mess itself up with silly interactions.

Saw an ad for American Animals last night, and couldnā€™t remember who one of the young blokes was. Then (after IMDB), realised it was the young boy, George, from Dunkirk. Mark Rylance is a superstar.

The different timelines throughout the movie confused a lot of people who didnā€™t pick up on the sub-headings at the beginning. Basically it reflected that the soldiers were there for a week, the sailors were there for a day, and the pilots for an hour. Thatā€™s why Tom Hardy sees the sailboat setting out from England at the start of his storyline, but the guys in the boat donā€™t see the Spitfires fly over until they are well into their storyline.

1 Like

Nah Iā€™m splitting his career into halves, hateful 8, death proof, kill Bill all garbage if you ask me. Inglorious Basterds and Django are outliers

The opening scene in Inglorious Basterds is among my favourite ever. The strudel eating scene is another highlight. Oh and the bar scene when they are playing celebrity heads. A lot of high notes in that film.

Pulp fiction is garbage

1 Like

Death Proof would easily be top 5 for worst film i have ever seen at the cinema. Probably higher actually

1 Like

Just got home from seeing the new Predator. The original is one of my favourite films of all time.

This one, the first half was pretty decent, 2nd half not so much. Way too much CGI, and not good CGI. I canā€™t take Olivia Munn seriously at all as an actor. The story started off good then just went to rubbish.

Felt like they went away from what made the first predator so awesome imo

Looks cool - her voice is a little off-puttingā€¦

1 Like

oh fuuuuarrrrrrrk

1 Like

Went and saw Ladies in Black today and enjoyed it immensely.

Set in a Sydney department store ladies wear department at the close of 1959, itā€™s a decent reminder of white suburban Australian life in the years pre-Gough, but with added boat people from the likes of Hungary and Slovenia.

Stars Angourie Rice as a very smart young girl, who has just done her final school exams and wants to go to Sydney Uni against the wishes of her father played by Shane Jacobsonā€¦girls donā€™t go to uniā€¦heā€™s a typesetter at the SMH and Susie Porter his wife.

The other ladies in black are Rachael Taylor as Fay, whoā€™s a bit disenchanted with Aussie blokes, Alison McGirr whoā€™s a bit disenchanted with her Aussie bloke and Slovenian refugee, Magda, played by Julia Ormond (Miss Smillaā€™s Feeling For Snow) whoā€™s in charge of the haute couture section. Noni Hazelhurst heads the department.

Magda and her Hungarian husband have a friend, Rudi, whoā€™s escaped the Communists in the 1956 uprising, but wants to find an Aussie girlfriend with a view to marriage.

This isnā€™t for everybodyā€¦no mention of aboriginals, but lots of mentions of the conditions encountered by reffoā€™s from Europeā€¦and itā€™s in English, but I loved it. To think that Australia changed dramatically in the 1960ā€™s is probably silly, but Dec 2, 1972 was the day that everything really started to change. Tony Abbott and his troglodyte cronies think for the worse.

No robots, no space creatures, no superheroes.

It was a great job of location setting. Iā€™d pretty much forgotten about Sydneyā€™s trams (not that I ever saw anyā€¦I never went there till 1977 and the trams were long gone. But now theyā€™re digging up George St to put them back in again. They did set up a light rail from Central Station to the inner west which conveniently has a stop about 200m from my mateā€™s placeā€¦and next to the new development, The Tramsheds, on the site of the old Harold Park Paceway.

2 Likes

Maybe for someā€¦

2 Likes

I went with madam to Ladies in Black last night after Noonanā€™s recommendation. It was only on in Gold Class so Gold Class we did. It really is a rip-off: two drinks, a tray of dips and two pizzas came to $90, and the pizzas werenā€™t up to much.

Anyway I liked the movie. Thereā€™s nothing to it but itā€™s likeable. Noonan didnā€™t mention that Bruce Beresford directed it. Heā€™s a very competent, old-fashioned story-telling director. You can hear and understand all the dialogue clearly, the pace is good, the plot clear. There was a bit of artistic licence here and there: the ocker Aussie Shane Jacobsen took very easily to such exotic things as salami, olives and red wine, and Magda the reffo kept using French expressions when she was supposed to be Hungarian, but none of that mattered. I walked out smiling and so did everyone else.

1 Like

I havenā€™t heard this before. It took about 3 bars before I was like ah, Zimmer. I love him but the is a certain sameness to some of his ā€œepicā€ theme which he has slowly been refining over 20 or 30 years. Thatā€™s not to say there isnā€™t breadth to his catalogue though.

I thought she said sheā€™d been in Parisā€¦and anyway she was Slovenian, not Hungarian.

I remember sitting next to an Italian kid at school and he definitely did not smell pleasantā€¦not like Anglo kids. I assumed he was farting all day, but I now assume it was the garlic. We were just totally unfamiliar with the aroma. Spaghetti Bolognaise came out of a can and was served on toast.

I used to say that when I was at school, your name probably either started with an O or ended with one. Either Irish or Italian. More Central Europeans in later years as they got away from Bacchusfoxā€™s lads.