At the movies

Yes

But they were always corny, and I thought that was half the charm of them, they were corny and cliched but also incredibly heartfelt.

1 Like

Itā€™s Sam Raimi for crying out loud.

You only have to watch the Evil Dead series to see his style.

I still think his Spider-Manā€™s are the best.

Tobey Maguire as Spiderman acts like a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  ā– ā– ā– ā– ! Garfield is better. Better actor.

Garfield is no doubt the better actor but Tobey Maguire was a fine actor in his time but he just had no range.

Acting is just one element that goes into making a film.

1 Like

Thatā€™s funny because they both have the lead title. Spiderman. Donā€™t get me wrong they both did a ā– ā– ā– ā–  job of Spiderman itā€™s that only Tobey Mcguire has this cry baby, Iā€™m gonna lose it when I blow my load, glowing ā– ā– ā–  fantasy look in his eye, that 14 yo girls wet themselves over everytime he speaks on screen, sells tickets so he gets a gig. That sickly for ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  up sweet crap ruined what could of been a great 3rd movie. And it hangs around in all his movies Gatsby, Seabicuit, Wonderboys, Cider house rulesā€¦all ā– ā– ā– ā– !

1 Like

About the only thing I agree with you. Toby Spider-Man is a dumpster fire of a series.

Remains one of my favourite films of the last 20 years. Glimpses of the very near future, if not the present, in the West.

Speaking of great films I just did Chinatown and The Long Goodbye back to back. Thatā€™s some good hours spent in a couple of very different versions of LAā€™s underbelly.

2 Likes

Chinatown is obviously a classic but The Long Goodbye is one of Altmanā€™s least discussed but hugely underrated films.

1 Like

Itā€™s so out there and natural at the same time. Even the theme song is self referential. Elliot Gould is a great melancholy and flip Marlowe.

1 Like

Well I canā€™t agree about Children of Men, but I 100% agree about Chinatown and The Long Goodbye. Different films but both brilliant.

4 Likes

Well gee whiz arenā€™t you being nice.

If you have any interest in dystopia done well, and in particularly British (Cuaron I know) flavoured ā€˜speculativeā€™ fiction and film I think COM is a deeply rich and thrilling film. But it just pressed the right buttons for me, very much my opinion. Havenā€™t read the book but my memory is that it was apparently only a very superficial adaptation plot wise.

Upside down kisses are great but it would have been more interesting if he slipped about 900 ml further.

1 Like

Children of Menā€¦watched it onceā€¦didnā€™t enjoy it.

Firstly, it had Clive Owen, who I never like.

Secondly, I seem to recall it was about the population being unable to create new babiesā€¦which didnā€™t really trouble me (I guess I have a dim view of humanity)ā€¦anyway, that took away all the stakes for me.

PS. I just went and read the plot description on Wikipediaā€¦what a mess!

Just a movie for mine.
I donā€™t get the devotion.

Other than Y Tu Mama Tambien has Cuaron ever crafted a linear story or one that didnā€™t have plot holes? Heā€™s not known for it and itā€™s not what he should be judged on. He is a visionary and makes films that make you think and are extremely well crafted.

Storytelling is for the Spielbergā€™s of the world.

I personally get far more out of a Cuaron film.

Personally I think CuarĆ³n is vastly overrated. He won the Oscar for Gravity, but really itā€™s only about the first 20 minutes of that film thatā€™s any good at all. Those 20 minutes are spectacular and enthralling; but once the debris hits the film becomes a complete mess with a stock-standard Hollywood happy ending and a grossly excessive dose of Hollywood schmaltz.

Roma was better but again it was the visuals that made it.

2 Likes

Heā€™s a visual director.

Very few directors throughout history are the whole package and not many are currently working.

Villenueve, Polanski, Fincher and maybe one or two more?

Donā€™t underplay the cinematographer.

For example prisoners, siccaro and blade runner was all done by Roger Deakin. Easy to give all the credit to Villenuive but thatā€™s massively downplaying how good a cinematographer Deakin is. He did Fargo, Shawshank Redemption, No country for old men and many more. Without him the Cohen Brothers, Sam Mendes and Villenuive would be half the directors they are.

Have a browse of his filmography, itā€™s a damn impressive list.

2 Likes