At the movies

black panther is the langford of 2018 movies.

Sorry mate Rotten Tomatoes is not a good measure for whether a movie is good or not.
Anyone can write those reviews.
I agree with Killer Mike on this 1.

I havenā€™t seen it so Iā€™m not saying anything one way or the other.

I just get annoyed when people downplay widely popular movies as not being good enough to win.

Especially when half the time it seems like the winner is just a bunch of pretentious wank

2 Likes

i can get behind this, did not understand any of the buzz over birdman.

3 Likes

Itā€™s really not very good. Good kids film, especially for kids of African descent, but bog average fantasy action. Joke

1 Like

Thatā€™s where I think @Killer_Mike is coming from.
Previous winners are
The Shape of ā– ā– ā– ā– 
Moon ā– ā– ā– ā– 
Spot ā– ā– ā– ā– 
Bird ā– ā– ā– ā– 

Not what people go see that inspires when watching the cinemas for the actual picture.

2 Likes

Me neither hence birdshit

Probably just a sad commentary on the state of cinema more than anything.

1 Like

American Sniper was awesome!

Do you think it has broken new ground for the superhero genre?

The Dark Knight would be a worthy nominee as it changed the game in so many ways.

I know that the Oscars unfortunately are a popularity contest rather than recognition for truly great films but I thought they took it too far last year with Get Out but now this is insulting to all the great filmmakers out there making films that will stand the test of time.

I believe in the past they have had opportunities to recognise great films like Goodfellas for example or Fightclub or any number of other great films but they have been conservative and chosen films to appease the masses. This in my opinion is such a film unfortunately.

1 Like

Not only sends political messages of their own
The shape of water, Moonlight, spotlight, birdman. I mean Cā€™mon seriously using the Oscars to project as much political human interest as possibleā€¦it worked. :thinking:

1 Like

Spotlight was a brilliant movie

Birdmanā€¦I lasted about 15 minutes before I turned it off

2 Likes

spotlight is a favourite.

love how a line from it is a running gag in the rewatchables podcast.

the mark ruffalo ā€˜THEY KNEWā€™ award.

Yeah but for best picture. The best movie for audiences to see in that year to watch on the big screen.
Mad Max Fury Road should have won.

Loved Birdman.
Donā€™t need to see it twice, but very much enjoyed it, and I have watched the critic in the bar scene over many times.

3 Likes

I donā€™t mind if a film has a message whether it is racial, political or any other type of message, as long as it is original in its artistic intent.

12 years a slave for mine was a worthy winner.

Each frame was a piece of art and the story although heavy handed at times had depth.

There are great filmmakers out there that are doing incredible things but arenā€™t getting recognition and then you get a film like Black Panther thatā€™s not going to stand the test of time.

If you put together a list of the greatest 100 films ever made I guarantee not even 20 of them were nominated for an Oscar.

I know the Oscars arenā€™t everything but they are still held in very high regard for acting but most other awards are generally politically motivated.

1 Like

And further to that the academy are snobs.

Why couldnā€™t a film like The Exorsict or Jaws win a prize like that?

Both redefined not only their own genres but changed the way films were made thereafter.

There are lots of examples of great films that get beaten out by films that no one ever watches.

I do. It coerces the mindless population to change laws. What if best picture nominated was documentary to save the planet? What if a different film was to promote Mary Jo legal?
What if the was a movie that depicted a message to kill all pedoes?
I bet laws would be done before end financial year.

All this fuss and itā€™s only received a nominationā€¦blitz meltdown mode will ensue if it manages to win

2 Likes

If they donā€™t stand up artistically then they shouldnā€™t be nominated.