At the movies

Evil Dead, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Blood Sucking Freaks, etc are right up there as well (in terms of scare factor, as opposed to production values).

The exorcist

4 Likes

It has one of the great opening scenes of any sort of movie.
And I like Carpenter.
And Pleasance is very good.
Itā€™s almost a cliche these days to say Halloween is misjudged as a gorefest with buckets of blood. Itā€™s not.

Personally Iā€™d have The Shining a long way ahead of it, although I hope we donā€™t get bogged down in thriller/horror labeling.

Again down to personal taste, but I think Evil Dead is a better film.
B Grade, but No-oneā€™s going to call Halloween high art either.

Scream and Cabin are good, too, but both areā€¦a bit self-aware.

I think youā€™d have to rate Psycho better, too.

Ju-on (The Grudge) made me ā– ā– ā– ā–  my pants the first time I watched it.

I think TCM is a terrible film in every possible way, except for one scene.

And Bloodsucking Freaks is just exploitative filth. I donā€™t want to get on my high horse about horror films, but it really is just that one for me.
I assume the Saw sequels are similar.

The Exorcist, The Shining & Psycho are excellent films. Higher production values than Halloween, but the latter is the movie that scared the crap out of me as a kid. Michael Myers = the Boggie Man. Years later, when Mr. Cruel was terrorising Melbourne, I had flashbacks of Michael Myers. Hardly slept a wink. Nightmare on Elm Street was quite scary & The Ring freaked me out a bit.

1 Like

Gosh Iā€™ve seen some terrible (but memorable) films, now that youā€™ve reminded me.
Pieces, Basket Case, Motherā€™s Dayā€¦

LMW is a Grudge and Ring fan.
She really wants to see Grudge vs Ring but itā€™s very difficult to find in Australia.

Biel is smokinā€™ hot in the modern remake.

Agreed re: Freaks being a trash film. An exploitation classic from the Troma crew who made plenty of trashy films. It was scary AF watching it back in the day.

Thought it was Troma.
I didnā€™t find it the least bit scary, but plenty repulsive, which Iā€™m sure theyā€™d be quite proud of (no, really).

Having seen a few horror films in the 70s and 80s, I just donā€™t bother any more.

I actually donā€™t watch the genre anymore, but as a kid, my brother & I would walk into a video shop, head straight for the horror section & work our way through all the trashy movies out there. #badparenting

1 Like

It Follows from a few years ago was very good.

But yeah, most modern horror is rubbish.

I saw Hereditary this year.
That was pretty good.
I still want to see A Quiet Place.

Oh, and also saw Get Out, but thatā€™s not really a horror, is it.

1 Like

Dario Argento is not everyoneā€™s taste in films but I enjoyed Deep Red and Susperia and a few of his other films.

1 Like

Throw in Silent Night, Deadly Night, Friday the 13th (series), Street Trash, The Stuff, & that one in New Yorkā€¦The Bronx Warriors, with the main character called Trash.

1 Like

He co-wrote Demons 2, which is one of my favourite ever bad films.

1 Like

OK, have bookmarked a few of the films mentioned by Wim & KM & may give them a shot. Cheers. I still havenā€™t seen ā€˜Itā€™ as yet, even though I loved the book.

1 Like

Hmmm thought you would be more of a demons 1 fan myself

1 Like

its awesome, but i wouldnā€™t classify it as a horror. More of a tense thriller