At the movies

This one is my to watch list - want to catch it on the big screen though and so I wait. Was hoping maybe the Astor would show it as part of their horror movie marathon.

I donā€™t want to disparage Demons, either.
Quality bad.

In the cinema, only George and Cheryl remain uninfected. Using a display motorcycle and sword props from the foyer, they ride through the auditorium, slicing down many demons. George kills nearly all of them when suddenly, a helicopter crashes through the roof.

1 Like

I reckon horror is pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– , just jump scares mostly.

thriller is my ā– ā– ā– ā–  tho.

2 Likes

The Omen was pretty Scarry in its time. But they arenā€™t really ā€˜horrorā€™, are they?

1 Like

Yesā€¦The Omen had a number of very scary momentsā€¦I went to see it with my then girlfriend and her best friend.

One sat either side of me during the movieā€¦both had long nailsā€¦both of them used those nails to gouge holes in my arms whenever one of the scary moments happenedā€¦they drew bloodā€¦I was lucky to survive :wink:

2 Likes

Yes they count.

So does Donā€™t look Now

The Devilā€™s Backbone is a very good modern horror film. Iā€™ve enjoyed some modern takes, It Follows was particularly well made for a smallish budget, but most of it is utter ā– ā– ā– ā– , torture ā– ā– ā– ā–  tedium. Cabin in the Woods was a pretty enjoyable take on horror from the last few decades. This will get fire but Wolf Creek can eat a bag. Exploitative and not at all entertaining.

1 Like

For someone that actually suffered for her art thatā€™s as good as it gets.

Exorcist. Poltergeist. Children of the Corn Amityville Horror.

Havenā€™t really watched horror/ghost flicks since the 80ā€™s/90ā€™s.

That is about as close as l get to horror, slightly surprised no one has mentioned the original Alien movie yet. That was scary.

3 Likes

She suffered for her art, and then it was my turn.

1 Like

Really good movie that one.

Not big on horror movies especially the ones with torture, and lots of blood and gore.

I do like thrillers and scary movies like The Ring, Omen, The Shining, Alien etc. Have only seen the first Alien was terrifying.

I watched the Paranormal Activity series of movies a few years ago, and while nothing really happens til about the last 10 minutes of the movie, found them pretty scary too.

Edit: remember watching The Exorcist, didnā€™t sleep well for a week.

3 Likes

I loved Donā€™t Look Now.

Anything with Donald Sutherland is good.

And Venice is the perfect location for a film like that. Itā€™s almost a character in itself.

2 Likes

That was scary, but a thriller, not horror.

I jumped about three feet. Julie Christie went OK, but could have done with a feed.

1 Like

I like Sutherland too, he is excellent at his craft.

1 Like

I think itā€™s horror but you could easily define it as thriller.

Any supernatural themes and I generally think horror.

Was it really supernatural though, or was the dwarf just dressed like his daughter?

I saw it at the cinema and itā€™s one of those many films iā€™d never watch again. And itā€™s 30+ years ago.

1 Like

Yeah, it was the dwarf at the end.

But the whole set-up of the film was the visions of their daughter as well as those strange blind women.

It was of course all a red herring but a very cleverly disguised one.

In that regard you could say itā€™s a drama about two parents dealing with the loss of a child.

As with most great films it is a mixture of genres.

1 Like

Where you in Ishtar

The Exorcist is the greatest horror movie of all time IMO.

I thought the performance of Jason Miller (Father Damien Karras) was under-rated.
How powerful was that exorcism scene when the priests are simultaneously repeating the same line at the beastā€¦
ā€œThe power of Christ compels youā€ whilst flicking holy water ?

70ā€™s was such a great decade for horror !

1 Like