At the movies

Is it set in a retirement village?

It was… illuminating!

Hopefully the script is as good as the cast otherwise it’s going to be a very big disappointment

Another one l am looking forward to catching up with.

Saw a preview last night…with Cruz, Bardem and Darín, they’re pulling out the big guns.

Being released as Everybody Knows. Spanish Film Festival starts at the end of next month. Surprised they’re not starting there.

So Terry Gilliam’s Don Quixote movie is finally getting cinema distribution… for one night only, in the US…

1 Like

Saw The Favourite tonight.

Performances were very good, sets and costumes were fabulous, story line don’t know wether I liked it or not.

The preview for Hotel Mumbai looked good.

Watching it now.
By the way Missus really like The Green Book.
:wink:

1 Like

Yeah it was a good movie.
They tease us with the war that happened previously and what that floating world looks like.

1 Like

That’s one of the stranger positive movie reviews I’ve seen

Pre-emptive :wink:

Well, he’s talked me into not wasting my time on it.

1 Like

I saw The Mule the other night. The story of a 90-year-old, played by Clint Eastwood, who becomes a mule for the Sinaloa cartel.

He’s totally separated from his wife, daughter, granddaughter because he’s always preferred his job as a nurseryman to his job as a father.

It’s just a story…nothing really to recommend it. His daughter is played by his real daughter, Alison, and Dianne Weist plays his wife.

I was already talked out of it, by lovers of movies of all types

side by side BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY MOVIE and LIVE AID

1 Like

Watched Captain Fantastic yesterday.

Hmmm. Well, Mortensen is pretty good - he’s usually at least serviceable. The film itself was poignant and entertaining in areas. To my mind, obviously massaged for the audience in others to its detriment. Has a touch of the ‘dumbing down’ that is common with so many American movies these days. Overall - passable, not great.

5.5/10

I hadn’t heard of this movie before and thought for a moment that you had a vivid dream where you combined Captain Marvel and Green Book onto one movie

2 Likes

I seen Captain Marvel last night.

As far a origin stories go, this was one of the better ones imo.

The first act was abit hard to navigate, but the final 2 acts were very good when we got Fury and Ben Mendelson’s characters.

Loved the soundtrack. Was a throw back to women’s grunge in the mid 90’s with Hole and Garbage.

2 Likes

My hesitation in seeing this is the lead role - how does she do? Not cringey?

In town for a few days, primarily for my nephew’s wedding, secondly, to avoid the annual folkie bedlam, so have taken the opportunity to see Everybody Knows, made in Spain but written and directed by the Iranian director of A Separation. Farhad Asgahar? Penelope Cruz has returned from BA for a family wedding, but on the wedding night, her daughter is kidnapped.

How to pay the €300k ransom is a major issue. Family issues and enmities galore until Paco(Javier Bardem), who bought his vineyard from the family 30 years ago, sells his share to pay the ransom. PC’s husband comes from BA late and he’s useless…monstrous god-botherer who thinks God will set everything right.

Not like the American versions of the same genre which want everything tied up in a nice, neat knot…but then, Yanks are inherently soft. And those Spanish women are so gorgeous. Cruz is better every year. Bea, Paco’s wife is quite guapa too, as is Inma Cuesta, the bride. She’s had practice at that, starring in Three Weddings Many a couple of years back when she kept getting invited to exes’ weddings. But that was pure comedy.

1 Like