At the movies

Brie Larson is a great and subtle actor. Why would you expect her to be cringey?

1 Like

The trailer. For some reason, I imagine her voice to be cringey as Captain Marvel. A bit ā€˜valley girl-ishā€™.

Ah right the Californian accent thingā€¦

I saw it already and Iā€™d say it was good without being great. All the casting and performances are great. If thereā€™s any weaknesses itā€™s plot based. Itā€™s a bit slow at the start, although it builds up the pace as it goes until the end is almost frenetic and I could have done with some more relationship building with a few people.

Overall though itā€™s good fun ,with plenty of action and it doesnā€™t follow the usual origin story narrative.

2 Likes

I just saw it and loved it. Great plot, actors were well cast and the soundtrack was fantastic - love a bit of 90ā€™s nostalgia.

Also builds up to the last Avengerā€™s movie. Surely ā€œEnd gameā€ is set to break a whole bunch of box office records?

Look out for the Stan Lee Apearance!

Heā€™s reading the script for Kevin Smithā€™s MallRats movie on the bus. Because he was in the movie which was released 1995 and Captain Marvel was set in 1995.

It seemed like they were trying to make it an action thrillerā€¦ but the ā€˜thrillerā€™ aspected didnā€™t really come off. It worked totally fine as a straight up action movie tho.

Itā€™s just that the twists in the story arch werenā€™t really that hard to believeā€¦ or even that shocking. Unlike the Winter Soldier, when the reveal that Bucky was the Winter Soldier and SHIELD was infiltrated by HYDRAā€¦ they were very big twists in the story.

The nod from Carol when she saw him was a good moment. As was the ā€œthank you Stanā€ at the beginning. Itā€™s easy to forget the impact heā€™s had until you see the marvel universe he created

Whatever itā€™s about - thank you guys for using the spoiler function.

3 Likes

I reckon they re-filmed that part. Ie. her reaction.
I imagine the original take was her walking through and ignoring him, but they added that bit in the re-shoot.

1 Like

Stan Lee should continue the movie appearancesā€¦ā€˜Weekend At Berniesā€™-styleā€¦

1 Like

Separation is a great movie.

1 Like

Hear hear!

Itā€™s a genuine good movie, about a man and his wife teaching and educating their family without societies afflictionsā€¦and then things change.
Consider education in real life, education in strict systems or home school.
@Deckham Good movie for thought. Spot on with analysis.
:sunglasses:

Sweet any Veruca Salt or No Doubt and Iā€™m there.
:metal::guitar::man_singer:

I donā€™t remember there being any Veruca Saltā€¦ there could be, I just canā€™t remember.

There is definitely No Doubt.

1 Like

Nice :sunglasses:. Definately wanna see.
Reminds me of Charlieā€™s Angels soundrack.
Rock on!

Just saw captain marvel. Thought it sucked. Easily the worst marvel movie they have made. The krulls were the best part and even they werenā€™t that great. My biggest gripe is it just wasnā€™t funny, which has been a staple of marvel films

I thought it was ā€¦ competent. A relatively by-the-numbers origin story, in the same way that Dr Strange or Black Panther was. I think it could have been better if theyā€™d been willing to be more adventurous. The best Marvel movies break the formula a bit - Civil War, Ragnarok, Winter Soldier, Infinity War even.

I would have liked them to go full-on with the whole ā€˜X-files episodeā€™ vibe they had going in the middle. Or be more willing to have BOTH the Kree and the Skrulls be equally bad guys in the end, rather that honing in one unambiguous baddie who gets kicked at the end. I know that the necessity to have her vanish into the void for in-universe 25 years before Endgame made things difficult for them a bit I guess, but still, I think it could have been done more ā€¦ interestingly.

Maybe a bit of a wait for Guardians of the Galaxy vol.3

I canā€™t think of an MCU film thatā€™s split the audience reaction like Captain Marvel. Even to the extent that thereā€™s no pretty much no consistency about the elements within the movie that people liked and disliked.

And thatā€™s ignoring the whole misogynistic alt right troll controversy thatā€™s surrounded this movie.