Australian Politics, Mark II

The only way I got to University was with a Teaching Studentship. It was $23 per fortnight back in 1971, and I managed to support myself living in a student house in Carlton, paying rent, eating sometimes, drinking often and generally enjoying myself.

Free University happened in 1974, after I had finished, but only lasted until 1989 when HECS started.

I would make all education free of any fees, and fund it partly by not proving any Government money to non-Government institutions

We are as United as a political party will ever be.

and

So you reckon someone who got a diploma from a course they chose, dodgy or not, having to pay it back at a rate of 1% of gross income if they are earning 45k is too harsh, but someone with a centrelink debt having to pay at a rate of 15% of an 18k income (which incidentally has interest compounding daily if they don’t, or miss a payment etc) is ok.

Nice one.

1 Like

No I think both are ■■■■, I don’t play top trumps with poor people.

Students, Elderly, Disabled, unemployed

All ■■■■■■ on by this government

But ya know, back in Bill, etc, etc

Clever Things That Tony Abbott Has Said!

June 26, 2018 Rossleigh

2 Likes

You seem to have pressed Save too quickly. I can’t see anything listed there.

Funny about that.

But that was the entire article.

1 Like

Labor voting with the libs on these dodgy espionage laws is just the sort of ■■■■ that stops me going back to them.

2 Likes

Hmmm, what is actually dodgy about them ?

Look like good far left ideology to me, most Leftwing thing Liberals have ever done. Then again far left and far right are close on some things.

From the ACF today.

Recieved similar citing alarming concerns over these laws from Get Up as well as others over the past month or two …

Never in Australia’s history has our right to speak out for people and our planet been so under threat.

Egged on by the Big Coal lobby, the Turnbull Government is trying to silence criticism and severely restrict charities like us from speaking out for what really matters. They’re trying to pass a draconian package of laws that directly attacks the heart of democracy in Australia.

Like this: Last week, we sent a letter to UNESCO asking it to investigate the Turnbull Government’s failure to protect the Great Barrier Reef from the impacts of land clearing. Under a new espionage law the Senate is likely to pass any minute, we could go to jail for doing this.

We are a conservation foundation, not an international spy racket. Our work advocating for nature is vital.

We’re really concerned that having rushed this bill through Parliament, the Turnbull Government will now try to ramp up their attacks and pass even more restrictive laws.

This is a critical time for our courageous and generous community to come together and stand up for our right to make this country a better place.

Over the last few months, we’ve come a long way. The ACF community and broader alliance have done incredible work to inject reason into the debate.

But we need to keep running emergency briefings in Canberra so all MPs and the mainstream media understand the real impact of these laws. We need to coordinate the alliance of groups from across civil society. We need to stop these attacks from stifling advocacy in Australia.

1 Like

What? Come on man, read between the lines, they are all about being able to jail protestors

“For example, a person who intentionally blockaded the entry to a coalmine … with the ultimate intention of ending the sale of coal by Australia to another country … could be charged with an offence of this kind,” it said.

Up to 15 years jail.

This is more of pissweak Bill pandering to coal companies

1 Like

Exactly

So what is it? Are labor being stupid, or ■■■■■?

I’ll go with option 2.

1 Like

Good policy to jail people, when they break the law.

And since when is the ACF a charity ? In my experience, they are a bunch of inner city dwellers in league with big business like the wind farm industry.

Seriously not sure your problem with this is.

Turnbull donates his $500k PM salary to a charity, the Turnbull charity that is. He gets a tax rebate for so doing.
He also donated $1m to the Liberal Party, presumably that is also tax deductible.
How much of Turnbull’s other income is derived from foreign investments, including the investments parked in the Cayman Islands?
He and Lucy worked hard to acquire their wealth, but how much did they inherit?

It is so ironic, the Boot and Benny show.

On one hand you are bagging Labor for not being populist and sacking Bill as Leader, and then on the other you are attacking Labor for supporting this popular espionage legislation.

Both of you have no farking idea.

Given my tiny little wildlife nonprofit has been known to write letters to politicians about habitat preservation but also recieved donations from an international conservation group after Black Saturday, I have a big ■■■■■■■ problem with it because if that happens again, we all could go to jail for 20 years. Our budget is a few grand a year, most of which comes straight from our own pockets, but now we’re going to have to spend a big chunk of it on legal fees just to cover our own butts.

And once more, it’s worth noting, that these laws apply to me, but not to (for example) Adani or its bought-and-paid-for Australian lickspittles and lobbyists, because foreign companies are completely exempt from these laws.

Seriously, ■■■■ the libs and ■■■■ the ALP and ■■■■ Hanson or anyone else who voted for this dystopian piece of ■■■■ legislation.

(And if you have a problem with the ACF being a charity, I think you’ll find the ACF is a charity under the law you claim to respect so highly. You can’t have it both ways. )

3 Likes

Too much grief about Shorten as ALP leader - The way politics is you don’t have to be the most charismatic person in the country to get be elected - As long as you have solid policies that’s enough - Since when has an opposition leader ever won a poll for the preferred PM.

2 Likes

That @Bacchusfox Jesus man open your eyes

Bacchus seems to have gone into full Trip mode for his side.

2 Likes