Australian Politics, Mark II

Tony eating the onion raw was the highlight of his tenure. Just superb.

2 Likes
4 Likes

He was out out my street this morning, no doubt trying to repair the damage. He’s long had his team working out and about, but never himself in my observations in my area.

1 Like

Morrison decides not to raise pension age to 70. ■■■ they’re so nice!

O M G can’t get through? Is this swear filter designed in Bible Belt America?

3 Likes

WTF

1 Like

Senate investigation into the au pair thing.

Eric Abetz: “I think we should be celebrating the fact that the dept can make quick decisions rather than keeping people in unnecessary detention”

You can just tell this prick thoroughly enjoys taking the ■■■■.

7 Likes

Yes

Ok then. Lol

Scott Morrison And Other Ugly Things

Rossleigh

Well, ScoMo – as we’re all encouraged to call him – saw something ugly. Not just ugly, but “one of the ugliest things I’ve ever seen”!

What was it?

The testimony of those abused by that Royal Commission we didn’t need? No, not the one into the banks. The one into sexual abuse of children at the hands of institutions. Remember the Liberals were dragged kicking and screaming into that one, too.

Or was it the sight of children in detention? No, that’s a deliberate policy. It’s a deterrent. I mean, if you have children self-harming and suicidal that should put people off coming to Australia without their au pair papers in order.

Was it animals dying in the drought? Of course not.

It was, of course, a union official who photographed his kids. Yes, John Setka. tweeted photos of his kids holding a sign telling the Liberals to fu#k off and catch real criminals. He acknowledged that it was a mistake and took it down.

So, if that was one of the “ugliest things” Scottie’s ever seen, I would suggest that he doesn’t get out much…

Although the Liberal bloodbath of the past month should be enough to make Mr Morrison aware that life is not as sweet as we’d like it to be.

I heard on the news that the government was close to reaching a deal over Gonski with the Catholic system. Of course, they don’t have to reach a deal with the public system because nobody who counts sends their kids to a public school.

Scott himself, for example, sends his kids to an independent Baptist school. I know this because I read a little article about how he doesn’t want anyone imposing their values on his children… Apart from him, of course.

Why don’t Baptists have sex standing up?

They’re afraid it might lead to dancing.

And, in that way we’ve come to expect from public apologies, if any Baptists were offended by that, I’m sorry. Anyway, Scottie is sending his kids to a Baptist independent school so that they won’t have values imposed on them!

Which is all very well. I mean he’s suggesting that public schools shouldn’t be imposing values on children. And that sounds fine.

Except for two things:

1. John Howard suggested that it was the lack of teaching values in public education that was reason for parents choosing a private school. He fixed this by giving every school a poster with a list of Australian values and a photo of Simpson and his donkey. Simpson, ironically, was an “illegal immigrant”. As, if one thinks about it, were all the ANZACS invading at Gallipoli.
  2. It’ impossible to run a school without the teaching of some values. For example, when a teacher chooses to intervene and stop a child being bullied, he or she is making a values decision. “Harden up, princess,” isn’t something that a teacher would get a lot of support for… Front bench of the Liberal Party is another story. Similarly, when one tells people that everyone needs a turn, one is telling people that fairness is important. One could say that we’re basing it all on merit and the white males should get all the turns, but outside Parliament, this is considered politically incorrect and gets lots of criticism.

Oh My Genitalia!

1 Like

It has been interesting to see Labor going after the Gov for trying to put it up from 67 to 70 (which was never going to get through anyway, no one agreed with it, including a lot in their own party). Interesting because they were the ones to lift it from 65 to 67. So to see then change their minds and say it is bad for blue collar workers is a little amusing.

Still prefer Labor to LNP though.

1 Like

Yes. Increasing it to begin with isn’t great but also doesn’t mean increasing it again should happen because it has already happened.

Who the fark can afford to retire anyway ?

It is not as bad for old prikks like me, who are setup with a property etc, but anyone over 50 these days has no real job security, even if you work for the Government and probably a big mortgage, a feeling of obligation for their kids never being able to get into the property market, and the prospect of a pension that is not enough to live on.

My Dad retired at 62 back in 1986, after working for years as a tradie at SECV with little or no super… He and Mum owned their humble small weatherboard house in Pascoe Vale, he owned his Commodore, and they both got War Service Pensions that allowed them to live OK and go on a holiday to Qld for a month each winter. And he didnt have to worry about my sister or me, because we both had jobs as soon as we left school, houses were cheap and wages OK.

Today a bloke of 62 who works as a tradie with Government would retire on more super, but probably still has a large mortgage, a car on hire purchase and will never get a pension, and even if he did it would not allow him to holiday, or maybe at the Rosebud Foreshore. And his kids who are probably in their thirties could be struggling.

I feel depressed today.

1 Like

Depends if that tradie is/has been working under Union conditions. Then they’d be doing alright, especially if that union is the CFMEU

I’m at peace with it because my extended family’s health history suggests that I’ll never have to worry about retirement.

4 Likes

A lot depends on the trade you choose too. I did my trade as a mechanic and bailed a couple of years after completion as the money was absolutely rubbish and still is. Compare that to my son who is a qualified chippy and earning money I could only dream about at his age. With the money he squirrels away each week whilst living rent free it’s little wonder he is in no hurry to move out lol.
My goal is still to retire at 55 but with the constant holidays it’s probably going to push out to 60+. Mind you I have next to no super so hopefully the property market doesn’t crash majorly or my dreams will evaporate

Many people will never escape the cycle low paying jobs. No education, no skills and even if they work hard, wages are still crap.

I have a good mate who is a plasterer, and at 47, his body is farked, shoulders rooted, hips screwed. No Union protection for him.

Too right. I did a printing apprenticeship in the mid 80s, right before computers and related tech came along and ripped the ■■■■ out of the industry. One mob folded without notice and left me short of 10k in super. Personally, I would have moved on anyway, but that’s beside the point

Very true. And it isn’t getting better, at least not any time soon.

Was pointing out the effectiveness and importance of unions, and why constant attacks on them are dangerous.

Also shows the huge gap even within industries, when a 22yo chippie can earn more than one with 22yo experience.

And I have plenty of mates earning mining boom sorts of money as labourers here in Melbourne, good jobs if you can get them.