Australian Politics, Mark II

I blame you.

But he added that there were still about 4,000 postal votes to count and that “may be enough to turn the result around”.

I would seriously lol if the Libs ended up winning. They way the media and others carried on over this before the result was finalised has been ridiculous.

That said, i hope they don’t.

1 Like

This needs to be a wake up call that their current practices are not in the ideals of the broader country.

You could not get a more obvious message to that than the election of Phelps

1 Like

Others including the Liberal Party?

I gather the bit about two outlying booths comes from this:

Ignore the two at the bottom left, they’re tiny booths. The other two stragglers (where Phelps got an average primary vote but 25% less preferences) are the concern.

1 Like

No, not the Libs.

Good word…psephology.

Independents in Wentworth, Indi and Mayo. These are blue ribbon safe seats that are supposed to produce cabinet members for the coalition. Wentorth and Indi have both given PM’s and Mayo gave Downer.

Im sure the usual nut jobs will say they need to move further right. But it’s the middle moderate seats they are losing.

Not sure how the Liberal party can fight both the right and middle in an election.

1 Like

Kenny is known as The Dog Botherer on a blog I read (Loon Pond) because he was lampooned as such by oops I forget the name of the ABC comedy news program a few years ago. He sued and I think got an apology of sorts. He is a Murdoch lickspittle that also fronts a so called think tank that gets money for nothing from the Feds. He is constantly banging on about the biased ABC. I am sure he has a s c r o t u m breath.

2 Likes

On Wentworth.

Not really reported much(because of the Conservative independent candidate getting 29% or the primary vote) however the ALP has suffered 6% swing against on primary vote vs 2016.

And the Greens a 6 percent swing against them as well.

It’s definetly disattisfication with the major parties which is the general theme of this by election.
(as well as disgruntled Malcolm fans)

Phelps would have also got previous Green and Labor votes

All of those Labor and Greens votes would have gone to the Independant Candidate who has the best shot at beating the Liberal candidate

3 Likes

That’s primary vote. Not after preferences…

It’s obvious all the ALP and Green vote has gone to Phelps in 2 party preferred.

For a party aiming to win the next election, Labor would be disappointed not to maintain its primary vote. Even in a blue ribbon conservative seat.

A candidate who is a doctor, and states that her policies are based on scientific evidence and research.

What are f*cking unhinged political platform!

I can’t believe someone would let scientific evidence stand in the way of hysterical, dramatic and knee-jerk policies.

:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Yep. Both Lab & the Greens wanted Phelps to win or get 2nd place so to win on preferences.

Labor ran completely dead and the word went out for members and rustys to Vote for Phelps. Likely the same happened within the Greens.

1 Like

Labor hardly has enough money to fund itself. In my electorate we spend about $150k for a Federal Election. Party HQ gives us nothing, we raise about $70k and the MP coughs up the rest. She gets nothing back except a job for 3 years. Party HQ gets the $2 per vote in election funding.

And it is against the Law not to disclose election donations and against Party Policy to fund opposition. Some Unions fund the Greens and some Independents

1 Like

Why would they do that? , sorry I don’t follow.

I would get the Kerryn Phelps has the preferences from Labor and the greens, but why would that explain the 6% drop in each of their primary vote?

Maybe I’m misreading the numbers but to me it looks like votes to minor/independents and a big exodus from all the majors. Most keenly felt in the government.

I think that’s why both Labor and the Greens party have been relatively quiet. It’s no great win there. Perhaps just the less ‘terrible’ option.

Ok, The thing is, Phelps directed her prefs to the Libs to avoid alienting Lib voters she wanted to win over (albeit at about 10th), but before Labor, so if Labor came in higher than her, her prefs flow to Sharma, & the Libs hold the seat, no if’s no buts, … so they ran “dead”, and directed their members, and thereby many outside the m/ship, to vote directly for Phelps to ensure she got into at least 2nd position, thereby being able to benefit from the prefs from both LAB and Greens to get her above Sharma. It was expected.

And it’s pretty clear the Greens would have the same agenda and plan.

3 Likes

Not sure the ALP or Greens should ever cheer an indie, not a good look, but more to the point why waste your energy when you’ve got old mate Scummy out there jabbering on the Hustings? Sells itself.

1 Like

I think the Labor party would benefit indirectly from the bad press and concern in the liberal party that this result will have caused. Irrespective of their loss of votes or morals.

No turning back now. It just feels, and it has for 6-12 months already, but it just feels like this government is lame. I don’t know if the older crew in here have experienced anything similar?

It just seems the country is at a standstill.

If a Rudd Mk2 (the popular bits) were to arrive now, I think they’d do well.

I cannot understand how anyone could vote for a LNP candidate, particularly given the performance of the current incompetent rabble in office atm.

That said, the ALP have nearly as many useless cork soakers.

Realistically imo the choice between voting LNP or ALP is the same a deciding whether to use your left hand or right hand to wipe after taking an extremely messy and nasty dump and finding there’s no toilet paper.