Australian Politics, Mark II

The Judicial System is this country if beyond a joke. Judges and Magistrates are totally out of touch with what the community expects and what is fair and reasonable. The do gooders have won over the day.

Is this way of sentencing so the Government of the day can bring in very strict laws? The voters will be asking, begging them to do it because they feel unsafe and in doing so, will give away their own power.

We ought to have rehabilitation Live in Centres for Drug and Alcohol related crimes. This would free up space in prisons for more violent and serious crimes. Put funds into an adequate Mental Health System rather than putting people with Mental Health issues in jail. Problem solved.

Antony Green is saying the Check count was out by 300 votes to Phelps.
Very handy couple of votes.

1 Like

The fund raising events don’t show up in the political donations register. Also, I thought that donations below a certain limit are not required to be disclosed. There could also be non-cash donations, such a special printing, Tshirts etc. That’s why the donations register does not reveal the full picture
On Insiders Phelps said she and her wife put in a bucket of money, the rest was largely through fund raising. She is so well known in the electorate, it would not have required a lot of organisation to harness fund raising at grass roots level.

My take is that the electorate is crying for some good old anti-establishment populist progressive leader. Bill, as good as he might be behind the scenes doesn’t cut through the establishment perceptions the public has of him and therefore Labor hasn’t fully capitalised on the clusterf*ck that is the Liberal Party. A leader like Hawke would annihilate the Coalition.

Was that in the 2 suss seats of Bondi & Bellvue Hill by any chance?

Or Pliba, …but * sigh*, it;s way too late for that.

1 Like

You guessed it

1 Like

Labor ran dead in this seat. They were actively not canvasing votes, because if they overtook Phelps on the primary (after Green redistribution), the libs would have easily won it.
I wouldn’t read anything at all into the labor vote here.

1 Like

I haven’t directed my first preference to Labor since 2007, but in a two party contest there is absolutely no choice as far as I’m concerned. They are currently lightyears apart by any meaningful measure.

1 Like
1 Like

Happens often. Howard’s govt was adrift at the end. The worst Federal govt in my time was that of Billy McMahon. But that has to be revised because ScuMo’s is probably worse than that.

I was thinking / hoping this result might finally break the stranglehold the RWNJ’s in the Murfuch coven had over moderate Libs, … and this was the sort of thing I was hoping to see …

More please. Kick them in the Nuts, and tell them to just Fk Off.

smh.com.au

Liberal MP condemns conservative media hosts and issues warning to colleagues who listen to them

David Wroe. 4-5 minutes

Liberal MP Craig Laundy says too many of his own colleagues are listening to right-wing commentators, warning they risk ending up out of step with mainstream Australia.

The high-profile moderate backbencher said the party had been pushed into toppling Malcolm Turnbull by conservative media voices and this trend could become cemented in Liberal Party policies unless MPs started ignoring what he said were fringe views.

He specifically pointed to commentators “dominating The Australian newspaper and Sky [News] after 6pm”.

Speaking in the wash-up of the massive swing against the Liberal Party in Wentworth, Mr Laundy urged his colleagues not to overemphasise the influence commentators have with voters “and therefore not be scared to stand up for policy positions which they agree with”.

“[MPs in Canberra] sit in their offices with Sky News on the TV 24/7 watching and listening to what everyone’s saying and listening to what these commentators are saying,” Mr Laundy said.

“The reality is if you’re going to set policy and govern as a result in response to that … and you’re listening just to right-wing commentators, I would argue that you are potentially signing up in marginal seat land to a policy position that 80 percent of your electorate would disagree with.

“My fear is that that was a major factor behind the leadership coup and, if off the back of that … you use that as your guidebook, we risk becoming out of step with … potentially 80 to 85 percent of that marginal seat.”

Mr Laundy snatched the seat of Reid in western Sydney in 2013 in what has otherwise for decades been Labor heartland. He was minister for small business under Mr Turnbull and remains a strong supporter of the former prime minister.

Asked how his colleagues should respond to such commentators, he said: “Ignore them.”

“You can’t have these guys and gals front and centre of mind when you’re having serious discussions about policy in the best interests of the whole country.”

Separately, he told Sky News on Saturday night that “if you bow and kowtow and set policy off the back of what they dictate … you’re going to end up in a political mess”.

Mr Laundy said there could be “a real hate in the commentary - a personal hatred”.

Former Turnbull government minister Craig Laundy says he’s angry his colleagues take too much notice of right-wing media commentators. Video: Sky News.

“They hated [Mr Turnbull] for the fact he had money. ‘Mr Harbourside mansion.’ The absolute irony [is] they stand up in one breath and abuse [Opposition Leader Bill] Shorten for having a class war and then conduct the class war themselves.”

Mr Laundy has also become one of the first Coalition MPs to openly disagree with Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s controversial announcement days ahead of the Wentworth byelection to review Australia’s position on recognising Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

“I’m not inside the decision-making tent. If I was, I probably would have argued against it. It won’t play well in a seat like mine or in a seat like Banks or a seat like Parramatta which we need to win. That’s the political reality,” he said.

“But it’s a decision the Prime Minister has made and, as part of a team, the captain sometimes makes decisions you don’t like but you put your head down and your backside up.”

3 Likes

They’ve been giving us the browneye since they got in, phrasing Craig, phrasing. Or perhaps appropriate positioning for the coming erec…election

3 Likes
1 Like

F*cking huge!

#BondiRescue

Wonder how so many votes went astray for Phelps??

That’s a thousand between 2 booths, which is virtually a whole bluddy percentage point.

Hmmm, … :thinking: Very suss indeed.

I’m hoping a few of these “Monash Forum” wankers drop off the perch soon. Probably too much to hope for Barnaby, Tony amd Kevin Andrews to get rolled considering their big majorities but Christensen, Dutton, Kelly and Goodenough could be vulnerable of the known lower house members.

1 Like

Surely Abbott’s was the worst government.

2 Likes

Looking at the crossbenchers in the House, they all seem to have been closely involved in the communities within their electorates, as compared to party hacks parachuted in. That also applies to Oakeshott and Windsor in the Gillard years, where their conservative voters could not stomach the candidates selected by the LNP.
If Jed Kearney did not have such a high local profile, the Greens would have won that by-election.
The local branches need to be given a greater role in candidate selection.

It’s be so great if the Dutton stuff came up again this year and he got referred.