Australian Politics, Mark II

Why would you need to go to NZ? Or buy a new phone even? Surely you can do exactly that on your existing phone.

I don’t mind if there is some de encryption available, but it should be kept well under wraps if one exists for that exact reason, … and then only accessed via high level warrants/court orders.

But it really has to be in fkn secret… Seems only common sense you’d really rather the bad guys didn’t know about it in the 1st place, because if they do, it’s virtually pointless to have it, other than for busting really dumb ones.

The interface is going to have to be specced by Govt, probably by a subcontractor. Hence by the cheapest bidder.

It’ll probably be fine, like every other tech project run by govt…

1 Like

Because to have de-encryption the software needs to be corrupted and completely different than it is now?

1 Like

When I went back to uni.

1 Like

I chuckled at the hyperbole. But then thought “fk they might actually do that”

This is industry-killing sht.

Any feel for whether Apple would remove the relevant products from local use rather than break them for everyone?

EDIT: damnit, Simmo.

Heard someone on the radio earlier saying the ALP and Greens shouldn’t have run against female Liberals, because if they didn’t there would be more women in parliament.

Was bizarre.

5 Likes

And it was a coalition MP saying it haha

1 Like

These principles are very desirable, but unfortunately impossible.

There is no such thing as ‘some de encryption’. Your data can be securely encrypted, or it can be not securely encrypted. There is no middle ground.

What you (and the parliament) is asking is ordering every locksmith to build an nonlockable door into every house so the cops can get in more easily. And they’re trusting everyone involved to keep secret where that door is, so that crooks don’t learn about it.

Edit: and a huge number of govt agencies are going to be told where this secret door is. Including (and I know I’m rubbing this in) the RSPCA, local councils, and the Taxi Directorate (I’m sure NOBODY dodgy ever worked in the taxi industry or in local government!) And I know we’re being told that this capability will be exercised sparingly and under strict judicial supervision. Bullshit. We were promised the same about telco metadata, and now over 300k metadata requests are made annually, and if you believe that every single one of these requests is being individually reviewed in a sober and critical manner, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

Existing police wiretap powers are routinely abused and there’s almost no consequences. And the police have much BETTER processes than the half-arsed agencies that this bill is giving total surveillance powers to.

2 Likes

RSPCA

What the actual ■■■■

1 Like

This should tell you everything you need to know about the intent of the bill

4 Likes

RSPCA are responsible for bringing animal cruelty/neglect charges. They are, nominally, a law enforcement body. Local councils do all sorts of enforcement re parking, local bylaws etc.

But yeah, can’t have those pesky anti-corruption commissions using these powers…

4 Likes

Wait, are the Corruption tribunals being excluded from using these powers, or are the powers being excluded from being used on them?

They are not being allowed access

While you are often prone to overstatement, “I work for Apple, so I know what I am talking about” is your best yet !

I work for the Government and I am here to help you.
I work for ASADA and we are your friend

Etc, etc, etc

Seriously beni, Apple have a vested interest in keeping everything on their terms.

And anything that stops any terrorist activity is OK by me.

I bet in 2000 you were calling the end of the modern world, because of a farking clock in a computer.

That ‘anything’ is doing a hell of a lot of work there, especially in conjunction with the ‘any’. Torture? Indefinite detention without trial? Summary execution of suspected terrorists and their families? Nuke the entire middle east to glass just to be on the safe side?

You’re not a psychopath, so I suspect your answer is ‘no’ to at least some of these. So we’ve established that you have limits.

Now, the consequences of this bill is that there are no secure it systems in Australia any more. There’s no secure internet banking, no secure online credit card transactions, no secure systems ANYWHERE in any company or government department. If you compromise encryption, you compromise it all the ■■■■■■■ way, everywhere.

This bill creates an absolute paradise for hackers, spies, identity fraud, stalkers, scam artists, corrupt cops, and tyrants. Do you seriously believe, for instance, that the Libs won’t have the AFP tapping every communication in the union movement within half an hour of these bills becoming law?

There have been what, three fatalities in Australian terrorism-related attacks in the past years? Encrypted communication apps have been round for a long time. The problem does not seem to be THAT urgent that it necessitates the staggeringly draconian and destructive measures being proposed.

Get stuffed. This whole lazy ‘y2k bug was a flop lol so never believe experts ever again’ cliche thoroughly ■■■■■■ me off, because I work in IT and I KNOW how much brutally hard and complex and long-running work went into fixing the Y2K bug in thousands upon thousands of systems across thousands and thousands of companies. The Y2K bug didn’t cause major disasters BECAUSE A BUNCH OF HARDWORKING PEOPLE KNEW IT WAS COMING AND FIXED IT AHEAD OF TIME, and now their reward for that is a bunch of lazy know-nothing bozos use that very unsung success to claim it was never real and was all hysteria or a scare campaign. And the advice of the experts who averted the y2k bug are now being thoroughly ignored on encryption. FFS educate yourself before sounding off on this stuff.

13 Likes

ITT (and also in parliament) baby boomers completely misunderstand IT.

1 Like

“These laws are in place to prevent women being murdered by their partners” is a harder sell

2 Likes

Next bill on the agenda… all locks in Australia are to be replaced with locks that are able to be opened with either keys or flathead screwdrivers.

2 Likes

Aren’t the most realistic terrorist threats the ‘lonewolf-type’ crazies? How will this legislation do anything to stop them?

It seems that in order to protect the people of Australia from domestic threats, they are allowing Australians to be exposed to another threat, one that could potentially affect every single Aussie.

If they are so sure that this won’t expose the community to cyber attack, perhaps they should put their money where their mouth is and offer compensation to any people who do get stung.