Australian Politics, Mark II

Kelly even followed Trump’s double backpedal technique:

Mr Kelly’s suggestion angered the families of MH17 victims and drew condemnation from across the political spectrum.

This morning the backbencher did a series of media interviews to deal with the political fallout.

He said he “unreservedly apologised” for any distress he caused to the families of those who died.

“I have the greatest sympathy for everyone who had family and friends aboard that flight,” Mr Kelly told Radio National Breakfast.

But he insisted in all the interviews that his original comments had been taken out of context and twisted by his political opponents.

“I’d also say it’s very disappointing that some people have taken political advantage by taking those comments out of context, and have also caused additional harm to those families,” he said.

He also said he’d shirtfront Putin. FFS.

“Out of context” lol.

2 Likes

Van BadTake at it again.

I abhor everything this government stands for. They will do anything and throw anyone under a bus to get elected. ■■■■ them. Absolute vile pieces of trash.

4 Likes

The end of that tells you all you need to know about Prissy Chrissie Pine as well.

1 Like

Yep, the abrupt change of tone when he realises he’d forgotten about the ‘party line’ is both hilarious and telling. What a bunch of evil squirms they are.

2 Likes

Glad to see that commercial television is at least occasionally capable of discussing that story without being mindblowingly racist.

1 Like

Thankfully CBS was able to out fox Gina for the 10 Network, despite the Government trying desperately to help her get her evil pudgy mitts on it.

1 Like

There is a campaign to persuade companies to withdraw advertising from racist type programs - such as the recent C7 show on gangs - and Bolt in particular.
One company, Winning Appliances, advised that it was cancelling advertising on certain shows.

2 Likes

’Desperate cash splash’: Tasmanian council did not apply for grant awarded by Dutton
Announcement of $134,000 for CCTV cameras before Braddon byelection raises issues of ‘due process’

Christopher Knaus

Peter Dutton will award $134,000 to the Waratah-Wynyard council through the federal government’s Safer Communities Fund. Photograph: Mike Bowers for the Guardian
A Tasmanian council that has been promised a $134,000 federal grant for CCTV cameras had not even applied for the money, prompting allegations of pork-barrelling before next week’s Braddon byelection.

The home affairs minister, Peter Dutton, announced this week he would award the money to the Waratah-Wynyard council through the federal government’s Safer Communities Fund, a grants scheme designed to “address crime and anti-social behaviour”.

The grants scheme requires councils and other groups to make a formal application for funds, which is then assessed and scored against merit criteria.

Applicants are typically required to demonstrate the extent to which the proposed project would improve community safety, how much it would benefit from grant funding, and their “capacity, capability, and resources” to deliver the project.

Waratah-Wynyard council has never made a formal application for the grant. It is understood the council had planned to apply for the next round of funding in the grants scheme, but will no longer need to.

“Council did not make a formal application for this funding,” a spokesman said.

Dutton also promised $60,000 for CCTV cameras to Burnie City council, also in the Braddon electorate.

That council would not confirm whether it had made a formal application for funds.

“Council is continually seeking funding to expand CCTV coverage in the Burnie CBD,” a spokeswoman said. “In the case of this announcement please refer your questions to the relevant Commonwealth department.”

Braddon is one of five electorates going to the polls next Saturday.

There is no suggestion that the councils did anything wrong in accepting the promised money. Both had been interested in applying for the grants scheme, or its precursor, at various points.

A 2015 audit into the last CCTV grants scheme, the Safer Streets program, was damning of the way the government announced the awarding of grants before they had been assessed on their merits by the department.

The auditor-general found the early announcements risked improperly influencing the department’s considerations of whether the grant was merited.

“Against this background, there is a risk that early announcements by ministers and/or other parliamentarians about whether project proposals will receive funding has the potential to influence, or be seen to influence, the assessment work and subsequent advice as to whether funding should be approved,” the audit found.

It found the first round of grants had disproportionately been promised to councils in Coalition seats. Only one of the promised grants was later found to be unsuitable by the department. It also found “the merit assessment process … was handled particularly poorly by the department” and criticised a lack of transparency over the selection criteria.

Robert Carr, a University of Western Sydney research fellow, has researched the use of CCTV grants under the Safer Streets program.

He said the early announcement of the grants in Braddon clearly raised issues of “due process”.

Describing it as pork-barrelling would depend on whether the grants were used as a transaction intended to achieve a political outcome, he said.

“If Peter Dutton has promised funding, or has given funding, on the basis that in his belief that a political benefit will be achieved, then it is pork-barrelling,” Carr told Guardian Australia.

“The evidence of this was clear during the Safer Streets funding first round when politicians were directly telling voters they had to vote for the Coalition in order to get the funding.”

Carr said there would be an exception if Dutton had some special power to hand out the money outside the normal grants process.

Otherwise, he said, “I can’t see how this wouldn’t be pork-barrelling if a political outcome was the goal.”

Neither the home affairs minister’s office, his assistant minister, Alex Hawke, nor the attorney-general’s department would explain why the money was promised before the council had applied through the normal grant process. The attorney general’s department said questions were best directed to Hawke. Hawke’s office did not respond to questions.

Labor’s candidate for Braddon, Justine Keay, criticised Dutton’s announcement as a “desperate cash splash” before the byelection.

“This just shows that Peter Dutton’s visit to Braddon was nothing more than a desperate cash splash,” she said. “No amount of CCTV cameras will make up for the fact that the Liberals have gutted TAFE in Braddon, cut 700 apprentices and cut $1m from the north-west regional hospital.”

The Greens justice spokesman, Nick McKim, went further: “This is blatant pork barrelling from the Liberal party and it shows they have nothing to offer the people of Tasmania except fear and division,” he said.

“The people of Braddon would be far better off if Dutton had announced extra investment into social housing, or raising Newstart.”

I don’t want to tarnish the Maddie Riewoldt match but could the 1million the government tipped in at half time have anything to do Super Saturday coming up? Naaaah. Gotta hand it to them, it’s an untouchable premise. Had they quietly done it as an orderly contribution then it would’ve been laudable but they had Lil Greggy Hunt out there spruiking it up. Call me cynical, but Shirley not.

2 Likes

These are stats from Crime Statistics Victoria.

You’ll find the baxkground and nationality of people who have committed crimes in Melbourne.

It’s fair to say, LNP are trying their hardest to scare the living daylights out of the elderly and the ignorant. Then show they are coming down hard on a small portion of the community.

Its simply racism, there is no way else to explain it.

3 Likes

I thought the ‘massive’ announcement at half time was going the changing the My Health Record system from opt-out to opt-in.

Having just had my details reaped by hackers into the local council electoral office I’m inclined to opt out of anything related to government and IT. Fly first class, employ your mate’s son to install the locks on the back gate, all on my coin.

Of course it was. While it’s a good cause, last nights effort was all about appearances and the $1 million is tokenistic and absolute peanuts as far as federal government funding is concerned. Free advertising for the Liberal party using public funds.

3 Likes

Spot on.

$1 million dollars pays for sweet f*ck all when your talking about science & research.

With Mendozza on this one. As soon as the insurance companies say they want in you know you don’t want to have anything to do with it. His reasons is good for you, but the reasons the insurance company wants in is complete BS.

’We desperately need this data’: NIB boss wants members’ digital health records

By Nassim Khadem
Updated21 July 2018 — 8:36am first published at 12:01am

NIB chief executive Mark Fitzgibbon is hoping the private health insurance fund can get permission from its 1.5 million customers to access their digital health record, despite mounting privacy and security concerns.

In an interview with Fairfax Media, Mr Fitzgibbon said Australians opting out of the federal government’s digital My Health Record system were preventing health providers from accessing vital information that could be helpful in a medical emergency.

“If I get a hit by a bus tomorrow, I want the hospital to have my [digital] record,” Mr Fitzgibbon said.

The system creates a shared digital medical record for every Australian unless they opt out in a three-month period that started on Monday.

Almost 6 million people already have a My Health Record, which has been in operation for six years, but since Monday’s opt-out period began, more than 20,000 people have left.

Mr Fitzgibbon is hoping the fund can get permission from its 1.5 million customers to access their individual My Health Record data before 2020.

Private health insurers say this data could be a way to manage higher health insurance claims being made by an ageing population and associated rising premiums, while critics warn the data may result in more exclusions and less access.

“We are moving to this world in which we’re able to, like never before, predict, prevent and better manage or better treat diseases based on knowledge we have of your individual health profile,” Mr Fitzgibbon said.

We desperately need this data to make the world a better place.

NIB chief executive Mark Fitzgibbon
“We cannot do that without information about who you are … We desperately need this data to make the world a better place.”

But former federal privacy commissioner Malcolm Crompton, now founder and lead adviser at privacy consultancy Information Integrity Solutions, said that while that may be the aim, a trustworthy governance model needs to underpin the system.

There currently wasn’t one for My Health Record, and without it, things could go bad, he said.

Australia’s former federal privacy commissioner Malcolm Crompton is concerned about security of the digital health records.

“It is a fact that extra information is being used in the United States to price discriminate against people especially on insurance,” Mr Crompton said.

You need a credible assurance model that says, ‘what’s the evidence that promises are kept, and what happens when things do go wrong’.

“You need a credible assurance model that says, ‘what’s the evidence that promises are kept, and what happens when things do go wrong’,” he said.

Despite Health Minister Greg Hunt saying My Health Record is “arguably the world’s leading and most secure medical information system at any national level”, people remain worried about cyber-security threats and privacy breaches.

The former head of Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s Digital Transformation Agency, Paul Shetler, has said he would “probably” opt out if he were an Australian citizen.

Mr Fitzgibbon said the benefits of My Health Record - which allows records to be accessed by 12,860 health organisations and up to 900,000 health professionals - outweighed the risks.

“I don’t want a hacker [to access information] but I also don’t want my plane to crash and don’t want to be bitten by a shark in the ocean,” Mr Fitzgibbon said.

“We don’t stop flying in planes because of the [security] risks associated with flying.”

He understood the public was more sensitive about personal information being accessed and potentially misused by third parties since the Cambridge Analytica scandal, in which the firm used Facebook profiles to amass data on the US electorate during the Trump election campaign.

But having health information online would help people in emergency situations and in disease prevention, Mr Fitzgibbon said.

"In 10 years’ time, we will wonder how the health system can function without this technology,” he said.

1 Like

This also from our PM.

“When you take out insurance you’ve got an obligation to deal in absolute good faith, and you have an obligation now under insurance law as it’s stood for centuries to make full disclosure,” Mr Turnbull told Tasmanian radio station LAFM.

“If you’re seeking life insurance, for example, you’ve got to provide, answer questions honestly that they ask you about your health, and that’s why very often life insurance companies will have one of their own doctors to give you a medical check-up.”

Yes, it’s true that life insurance products need to get this access but the difference is that you give them permission to do so. All life insurers already write to your doctors and stuff to access that information when accessing whether to accept your policy or not. Don’t fall for this line.

It’s also true the same will happen when making a claim. Having this system only makes it easier for them to dig through records that may not have anything to do with the claim to find a reason for declining (in my opinion).

2 Likes

But … but … something something african gangs!