Australian Politics, Mark II

An uninformed public is the result of a biased or ineffective media, one of the main reasons young people are more informed is because they don’t rely on old media, Tabloids, talk back etc, which has a distinct Conservative bias.

2 Likes

Reading the online news:

“THE INDIANS ARE COMING, THE INDIANS ARE COMING”

Idiots.

The good guys always win in the end.

When I was in Houston last week, I got a big white Stetson.

Claiming credit

Kaye Lee

It’s one thing for the Coalition to blame Labor and the Greens for everything – that’s just politics, as ProMo would say – but it’s quite another to claim credit for things you were dragged to, kicking and screaming and resisting all the way, by the persistent and growing voice of the people.

Tony Abbott is claiming credit for marriage equality.

“When all is said and done, I helped to make the thing happen,” the former prime minister told The Sydney Morning Herald . “I set up the process which opened up the possibility and even the likelihood of change. Now that it has happened, I absolutely accept the outcome. It’s the law of the land and that’s the way it is.”

He certainly set up a process which ripped families apart and saw some horrible exchanges and advertising. Apparently we are supposed to forget that, on the day the postal vote began, he urged everyone to vote no.

“I say to you if you don’t like same-sex marriage, vote no. If you’re worried about religious freedom and freedom of speech, vote no, and if you don’t like political correctness, vote no because voting no will help to stop political correctness in its tracks,” Abbott said in a televised doorstop.

He wrote in the Fairfax papers that “This debate is about changing marriage, not extending it. And if you change marriage, you change society; because marriage is the basis of family; and family is the foundation of community.”

Then, despite 75% of his electorate voting yes, he ignored their wishes and abstained. He couldn’t bring himself to actually represent the community. He chose his opinion over theirs, and has ever since been fighting to find ways to legislate to allow discrimination to continue.

Not to be outdone, Scott Morrison is claiming credit for setting up the banking royal commission. Not that he intends to act on any of its findings. He’s busy. Not sitting.

As so often is the progression, the Greens were the first to listen to the whistleblowers and the victims and to call for action. Labor eventually came on board as they realised the anger in the community and how widespread the problem was. And then a few backbench Nationals finally grasped that the government’s resistance was putting their re-election at risk.

We also have the Liberal Party talking points claiming credit for getting people off Manus and Nauru.

They left them languishing there for five years. They attacked anyone who reported on the worsening health crisis and the physical danger. They colluded to block any scrutiny. They lied about the circumstances of refugee deaths and the cause of unrest. They fought tooth and nail in the courts to block medical transfers. They rejected New Zealand’s offer to resettle people.

Refugee advocates have been tireless. The Greens have been resolute. The crossbench has stood up. Labor has been given the courage of a majority.

In all these cases, it has been the people who have demanded change. As it will be in taking action on climate change.

For the Coalition to claim credit for what we forced them to do is insulting our intelligence and misrepresenting theirs.

3 Likes

They were already here and they beat us 2-1

5 Likes

What a gutless, lying ■■■■.

4 Likes

When Michaela Cash appears at the AWU court case, she will be under oath. I doubt the judge will allow her to prevaricate about what she knew.
De Garis ( who has been granted protection) said he doesn’t think he told her about the AFP raid.
And now Keenan is under the pump for his statement that no-one in his office was aware. De Garis told the court that he told Keenan’s chief of staff, who tipped off the TV media.
Wong is asking Cash and Keenan to correct their statements to Parliament for the Hansard records.

1 Like

She will just lie.
People do it every day.

2 Likes

Similar to people’s hope of how McLachlan and Demetriou would tell the truth under oath.

EFA

1 Like

People coming on boats is a diversion - The Government would ban plane travel if they are fair dinkum as this cohort continue to be the largest group who make refugee claims on arrival in Australia.

1 Like

Yeah! And ban hot air balloons too. I’ve seen plenty of them landing in Albert Park. Where did they come from and why are they carrying foreign looking people? Doesn’t the Government realise this is another way in which these people are getting into the country? Disgraceful I say!

2 Likes

and Jet-Ski and Wind-Surfers !!

You only have to look around St Kilda most day and all types are landing in the Bay.

1 Like

Let’s get down to brass tacks. Land bridges from SE Asia. The real refugee problem.

2 Likes

ScoMo stopped the boats. Except the ones that “don’t arrive”

10 Likes

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

LEWIS CARROLL (Charles L. Dodgson), Through the Looking-Glass, chapter 6, p. 205 (1934). First published in 1872.

4 Likes

Wow, called out on Sky News? The tide is turning.

Unfortunately for the LNP, as they ramp up their campaign, no one is listening. Most voters tuned out months ago.

4 Likes
2 Likes

^The resemblances uncanny, but where is Reboot?

1 Like