Australian Politics, Mark II

Morrison is trying to have it both ways. He’s trying to keep the Queensland yobs and Nats on side (and the Murdoch press) by giving Adani the green light.

In Victoria, Lib candidates will be trying to make it Shorten’s problem, now the issues is with the Qld ALP. “Why won’t Labor spell out a clear policy on Adani”?

1 Like

Queensland has Australia’s largest coal deposits and it has been important to the Queensland economy, particularly given the dispersed population there. I’d say support for Adani is not confined to Queensland rednecks and that there might be more bipartisanship within Queensland.
As to NSW, the opposition to Adani might not be confined to the inner city. Alan Jones even spoke against it and the NSW Nats have taken a nuanced position - there are a few rural farming votes on climate change and the Lock the Gate movement against fracking has strong support

1 Like

Max’s post has max power!

1 Like

Considering that a number of rural townships were without drinking water after the Darling river was polluted… no wonder Farmers in NSW are against Adani.

My read is that climate change is a second order issue in Queensland in regard to Adani. The coal would be exported to India. The environmental impact within Queensland is a raging issue and there are also questions about the contribution that Adani would make to the economy. The original estimates of mining contributing to a permanent employment boost of 10k have been downgraded to around 1.5k, but there would be a lot of rail and port infrastructure work to get the mine operational .As for Julia Banks and her Stop Adani earrings, she’ll need to do more that to beat Greg Hunt in Flinders. He will wheel out the picture of her smiling at Scomo’d coal stunt in the House.

Labor pikes it massively on the NBN, will throw out the Rudd/Gillard FTTP principle and adopt the Coalition’s frankenstein’s monster of the multi-tech mix. The Libs are saying (with a significant degree of truth) that the ALP have embraced their (disastrous) policy.

5 Likes

Gutless and terrible decision. FTTP was visionary, this is a big mistake by the ALP. We have the money to get this done. ■■■■ like this is why I wish we had a legitimate third party ffs.

3 Likes

What’s the alternative?
I wanted proper internet, too, but…
Are we talking about ripping things out and starting again here, or…

3 Likes

Waiting for Tampa Mark II. A few Rohynga boat people making it to Malaysia from Bangladesh camps and more on the way. At least they can stay in UNHCR camps there and get better treatment by fellow Muslims.

Stuff Turnbull on his Dastyari / Dutton comparisons. He was happy to hang Dastyari out to to dry when he was PM - possible double agent, close to treason…
Like the opposition, Coalition was briefed by ASIO on Huang. Notwithstanding ASIO briefings in 2O16, Labor and Coalition both courted Huang donations.
And stuff Turnbull who forced the revised NBN arrangements on us.
And stuff Turnbull for walking into Howard’s trap on the terms for the referendum on the Republic .
Some legacy. He is trying to do a Malcolm Fraser redemption, but it’s not working with me.

4 Likes

Except 5G is just about here and the NBN is turning into the biggest public infrastructure lemon of all time.

For the cost of the NBN we could be looking at Bullet trains solving housing costs or a national Electric car charging grid to support cheap Electric cars which will come or even say a number of new hospitals.

As far as I am concerned the NBN has been a massive waste of taxes.

1 Like

^And that was exactly Abbot’s intention.

Labor saying they will stay with the NBN is depriving the Tories of a stick to beat them with during the election campaign.

2 Likes

That’s certainly a reply to my question.
Not so much an answer…

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what actually happens on this front after the election should they take office, and take it big.

5G?

I can’t get 3G on telstra at my house.

3 Likes

You wont get 5G? I think you will find coverage will be over most metropolitan áreas at the very least.

It will be a game changer.

5g is great but it won’t scale up nationwide. Its performance is only good now because most traffic goes by fibre - you up the data load on it (whether that’s by replacing cables connections or just naturally growing bandwidth use over time) and you’ll hit a capacity limit.

FTTP and a pure fibre network is going to have to happen eventually anyway. I’ve got some sympathy for the ALP on this cos Turnbull & Abbott conspired to put them in a tough spot, but if you’ve got any credibility on tech or communications you know that this is a bullet we’ll have to bite eventually.

It’d just be nice to hear that reality recognised. But I’m probably asking for too much. Pre-election mode for the alp tends to be ‘don’t do or say or commit to anything meaningful enough to be controversial’, and given the howling and frothing in the Murdoch press over a relatively staid and unambitious electric car policy in the last couple of days, I can understand the impulse.

3 Likes

It won’t.

Mobile fast Internet with 1ms latency?

If your not thinking laterally about the potential applications, think a little deeper.

Just small target strategy.

They have heaps of big policies already and will be a pretty big agenda getting them implemented.

This just takes one issue of the table.