Australian Politics, Mark II

Faster youtube, as long as you’re in the right spots?

I’m thinking about Telstra & the other Telcos here.
They’ll roll it out, as sparsely as they posisbly can stretch it, to the most profitable spots, and forget the rest. In 10 years time we’ll have solid 5G coverage to 99% of the population, just in time to be obsolete. Keep in mind the tech requires a lot more towers for seamless coverage. $$$. It’s not magic.

NBN was (originally)an infrastructure project, not a product.

2 Likes

Ok. One example.

At present nearly all decision making in say autononous vehicles occurs in basically computer built locally into each vehicle.

With wide 5G Internet, information gathered from vehicles can be centralised in near real time to facilita te and support better decisions. That is just one current example.

Augmented reality at near real time.

Smarter package/supply chain tracking.

The faster YouTube argument has nothing to do with latency.

The technology is also being developed to be low energy. This means Internet on everything.

Nek minnit, … SkyNet and the machines take over.

2 Likes

The thought of a safety critical device relying on an “Australian” telco network is terrifying.

1 Like

You say all these things like they’re a) actually going to happen and b) that it will be a good thing for anyone (except obviously big data).

Decision support.

I know a couple of people working in the area.

5G will be a big game changer in tech. Its basically ubiquitous, high speed, low latency, low energy WiFi.

Solves existing engineering problems.

And as a replacement for FTTP. I think as a technology there is a good chance it will.

The world is fast moving post “cable”. Because physical cable is expensive and creates engineering problems. It Solves some. (ie as a backbone)

Its not that I think the NBN is junk. Far from it. But I can certainly see better ways to spend money.

Wireless isn’t magic.
It’s just picking your poison.
Cable to here, or cable to there.
There’s different energy considerations, reliability considerations, cost considerations to everything. Cable is (in most situations) going to be much much more reliable, and cheaper (in energy) to run. Wireless cheaper to “install” (obviously not the towers), but you’re paying someone else the for the overhead bandwidth. It generally doesn’t work as an enterprise level solution.

I generally bristle the more people trot out wankwords - “internet of things”, “game changer”. That’s not on you. The actual business case is what matters.

1 Like

I had lunch with my Sister yesterday who has been a Liberal Member for 35 years. She lives in seat of Kooyong and related to me the major issues inside the Liberal Party with the extreme right-wing takeover in Victoria led by Michael Sukkar who holds the seat of Deakin. She says that there is a ever growing group of hardline religious types, Mormons and Anglicans who openly within the party push their hate agenda. She is a campaign manager for seat on the Peninsular and says trying to find volunteers is harder that she has ever seen.

She says that people like Meralyn Klein who was removed as a liberal candidate in the State election for her anti islam hate outbursts, should have been expelled from the Party, but has been given a spot on the State Committee.

My Sister suggests that the progressive liberals will be nearly all gone after the next election and those running the place, will take it further to the right.

While this may be good news for Labor, it is not really great news for our democracy as we need to have a sane and rational opposition.

3 Likes

It will be good for Democracy if the moderates/centrists leave, & they split into 2 parties, leaving the Libs as a hard right hot mess that gets less and less votes, while the mods gain seats.

Not what you said last night!

Well some would argue that is what Don Chip did when he left the Libs and formed the Australian Democrats. Fell over in the longer term.

Fark it. Let’s make Australia great!

3 Likes

Well use a synonym that doesnt sound so ■■■■■.

We have Internet practically as fast as the NBN for over a decade. It just hasnt been ubiquitous. (contained mainly to univerisities, government and some institutions).

What we or anywhere in the world hasnt had is wireless Internet with latency solved and as I understand it energy costs that are tiny.

I think it will create significant change, and quite possibly make much of the NBN redundant.

It(the NBN) is a white elephant on a gigantic scale.

Here is what 5G is may mean for end consumers. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/15/how-5g-will-change-home-internet-and-tv.html

No reason Optus, Voda or Telstra wont have similar offerings in direct competition to the NBN.

Especially if they have their own network and dont want to pay NBNCo network fees.

My latest phone plan I have 160gb. Seriously thinking about ditching my internet just on that(4g). Haven’t tested streaming via the phone yet…

Haha . Libs running anti Shorten EV ads on Facebook featuring Toyota Hilux. Toyota responds to the effect that it was not consulted on the ads and that its plans to fully electrify its entire fleet by 2025 are on track.
Tell that to the tradies

10 Likes

Apparently Labor wants to ruin weekends and tax utes. fmd. Red herrings and straw man arguments are Scummo’s stock in trade.

3 Likes

But the US telecomms market is not our market.
Take the NBN off the table, and Telstra’s shareholders would still be pocketing the money Telstra should have been putting into maintenance.

https://www.laborsnbnplan.org.au/

Seems like a reasonable approach to me.

What on earth does this mean?

The Digital Inclusion Drive will be led by NBNCo and conducted over stages. The first stage will develop deep insights in collaboration with stakeholders, and the second stage will develop affordability measures and digital literacy initiatives to boost digital participation.

1 Like