Australian Politics, Mark II

Wow, your about 35 years younger than I thought you were.

4 Likes

Actually, I think it was that UNESCO want to put the barrier reef onto the endangered list of world heritage sites, and that this was supposed to be a seen as them trying to save the reef. Imagine it goes on the endangered list, tourism will probably suffer, and they’d actually have to stop some of the other things impacting it such as agriculture and run off.

1 Like

The Foundation did not seek the money and did not have the capacity to spend it, as it clarified - it would need to disburse it to research and other bodies. It is more a coordinating agency. Plibersek said the ALP would make the grants direct.
You may be right about the UNESCO link. As I understand, there is not a UNESCO endangered list as such , but declarations that something on the UNESCO World Heritage List is ‘in danger’.
All those efforts by Australia to get it World Heritage listed now consume senior people at our Embassy to the OECD and UNESCO in Paris in frantically negotiating wording with UNESCO to please their political masters in Canberra. ( last time I checked they have little to no involvement in the UNESCO doping treaty).
UNESCO still has the GBR on the watch list and IIRC will review whether it should be declared in danger in 2 years or so. After all, getting it World Heritage listed means that it belongs to the world and we have a treaty obligation to preserve it.

2 Likes

Good ol’ Clive blackmailing his unpaid workers now… don’t know how anyone could vote for the fat sea hunt, and I don’t know how this can be legal:

Given the preference arrangement I feel like the Libs letting him slide on that 70 mill may be seen as a decent investment on tax payer money to buy them preference votes

When someone asked bill directly about Adani on q&a he said he couldn’t guarantee he will stop it if elected.

Bill would lose votes if he came out strongly either way, he is simply playing a straight bat.

2 Likes

The numbers are favourable for Labor at the moment…

They are pushing for votes in Queensland, and I doubt that they will put that in jeopardy by saying they will stop Adani, before an election.

Hopefully this is also the case for increasing Newstart allowance.

On Q&A Plibersek said that Adani needed to meet all the legal procedural steps. As I understand it, those tests are now with the Queensland Government - something about an endangered bird species - could take a long time.
ALP would be pulling out the stops to save Herbert - only won it by 35 votes last time. Big army presence in Townsville, but if O’Toole performed well in the Townsville floods, she might survive.

2 Likes

Aha ! It’s Dicky Christmas !

1 Like

Haha Dutton complains that what drove him to the Libs was the Keating Government nearly ruining his father’s small busines ( whatever it was).
This, from a a bloke who has spent spent nearly all his working life on the public purse, first as a Queensland cop ( until the going got too tough for him) and then as an MP, enjoyining a generous Ministerial salary. All the while, the family is into wealth generation with family trusts, multiple properties and the wife running a child care business indirectly benefitting from government subsidies.
Next thing he will be complaining how negatiive gearing is a necessary part of his income to avoid him going on welfate.

4 Likes

He called him heartless too, Keating.

Peter Dutton calling anyone heartless is the most hypocritical thing I’ve ever seen

2 Likes

Peter Dutton says: “Hold my beer”

For a government that continually sets new records in hypocrisy, this one really does take the cake:

The Australian government has resettled as humanitarian migrants two Rwandan men who had been charged with the brutal murder of eight tourists, hacking them to death.

"At the same time the Australian government was arguing against proposed legislation for evacuating sick refugees and asylum seekers from Manus Island and Nauru to Australia, claiming it would strip the government of the power to prevent murderers and other criminals coming into Australia".

It has got beyond the stage of saying “You just cannot make shitte like this up”. They must work full time at what outrageous piece of shitte policy they will come up with next.

And all this from the people who brought you the “Children Overboard” hoax.

TBF he was so kind to the French and Italian au pairs.

@bigallan

VOTE 1 PETER DUTTON

You know you want to.

smh.com.au

Australia can be ‘superpower of post carbon world’, says Ross Garnaut

Peter Hartcher

5-6 minutes

Australia has the opportunity to surpass other rich countries to become more prosperous than ever before in a post-carbon world, according to the eminent economist Ross Garnaut.

Australia could become “the superpower of the post-carbon world economy”, said the former economic adviser to prime minister Bob Hawke and author of the Hawke government’s strategy for economic engagement with Asia.

The Australian political debate has been preoccupied with the cost of moving to a lower-carbon economy, but new work by Professor Garnaut finds that the economic costs would be far outweighed by economic gains.

“Embrace the post-carbon economy, and Australia will greatly expand new minerals processing and chemical manufactures, way beyond the limits of coal, gas and the industries they supported in the past,” he said in a Melbourne University lecture on Wednesday night.

New developments in renewable energy and Australian advantages have made it clearer than ever that the country could “prosper exceptionally in the post-carbon world”.

Intelligent climate policy would mean that wholesale electricity prices would fall “substantially”, he said, a source of competitive advantage.

The Melbourne University economics professor and climate economics authority said this could be achieved without any need to return to a politically fraught carbon price, a policy he acknowledged had become a “poisoned well”.

Australia could reverse the long decline of its metals manufacturing industries and become the most competitive place in the world to smelt aluminium and make steel, among other opportunities.

“In a zero carbon world economy, there would be no economic sense in any aluminium or iron smelting in Japan or Korea, not much in Indonesia, and enough to cover only a modest part of domestic demand in China and India,” he said.

Australia would have the opportunity to step in to become the world’s main source of imports for steel and aluminium as a result, he said, instead of just exporting the raw ores.

Processing iron ore and bauxite onshore would add twice as much value and double the number of jobs that Australia currently generates through its coal and oil sectors, he said.

“With globally competitive power, Australia becomes the natural locus for supply of the world’s immense increases in demand for pure silicon,” a vital component of computers and every type of electronic device.

“The processing of many minerals required in increasing proportions by the post carbon world economy fits naturally here—lithium, titanium, vanadium, nickel, cobalt, copper,” Professor Garnaut said.

Professor Garnaut was commissioned by the Rudd government and the states to lead two major reviews of Australian climate policy. His lecture on Wednesday night was the last in a series of six to update those reviews.

He said that the “immediate costs” of moving towards a zero-emissions economy were today “much lower” than he had anticipated in his reviews in 2008 and 2011, largely because of improvements in renewable technology.

He said that Australia could plausibly achieve zero net carbon emissions by 2040, making its contribution to the global effort to limit global warming to 1.5 per cent, if it embraced the Labor party’s emissions target. The Labor policy is to cut emissions by 45 per cent from 2005 levels by 2030.

However, he said that it was “implausible” to reach net zero in that time if Australia continued with its existing Paris commitment under the Coalition to cut emissions by 26 to 28 per cent.

Moving to cut emissions further “would nurture the three great assets for Australian industrial leadership in the post carbon world economy: globally competitive renewable power; an abundance of biomass for the chemical manufacturing industries; and low cost biological and geological sequestration of carbon wastes.”

Peter Hartcher

Peter Hartcher is Political Editor and International Editor of The Sydney Morning Herald.

2 Likes

Trump : OK, good. Can Australia give me a guarantee that if we have any problems – you know that is what they said about the Boston bombers. They said they were wonderful young men.

Turnbull : They were Russians. They were not from any of these countries.

Trump : They were from wherever they were.

Turnbull : Please, if we can agree to stick to the deal, you have complete discretion in terms of a security assessment. The numbers are not 2,000 but 1,250 to start. Basically, we are taking people from the previous administration that they were very keen on getting out of the United States. We will take more. We will take anyone that you want us to take. The only people that we do not take are people who come by boat. So we would rather take a not-very-attractive guy that help you out then to take a Nobel peace prize winner that comes by boat. That is the point.

1 Like

The absolute height of Hypocrisy, … but that is just par for the course for fkn Lieberals.

I expect nothing less. It’s just what they do.

Tell 'im he’s dreaming.

2 Likes

If I was Bill, then I would be more forthright and just say that Adani sucks and there is no farking way that this Indian ■■■■■ stain is getting my approval.

But then telling what I really thought is why I lost my last election.

1 Like