Australian Politics, Mark II

Nice idea, the environmentally minded left will like the Anti-Adani position but the right-wing QLD rednecks will respect the bigotry.

3 Likes

RIP Bob. One of our greatest PMs.

11 Likes

Right to the end, doing the right thing by the party. Morrison just lost any opportunity to spring a last-day gotcha.

Plus this on his second-last day:

6 Likes

:beer:

7 Likes

Told you Shorten was extremely politically savvy and would have something up his sleeve to spring in the last few days!! :smirk:

Vale Hawkey, hopefully your spirit will be revived through a forward thinking fair go Gov after Saturday

4 Likes

I can’t take anyone voting Liberal seriously this Election.

6 Likes

I’m a Liberal voter but Hawke was a truly great PM, made Australia a better place

3 Likes

Look, it’s not fair to make rich retirees live off their assets and potentially claim the leech pension like everyone else. It’s going to effect us all! End of life as we know it as Kerri Anne so well put and then called her audience leeches.

Bob. You were the first PM I remember. It seemed like you were PM forever when I was growing up.

3 Likes

Tony Abbott releases a statement on Bob Hawke talking a hell of a lot how terrible Labor is and how all the good stuff Hawke did was with the help of the coalition and how Hawke was really a Liberal when you think about it.

There really is something seriously wrong with that man. Who the ■■■■ does that?

10 Likes

A ■■■■.

That’s who

6 Likes

What a graceless wanker.

4 Likes

Appalling. I couldn’t believe what I was reading. Warringah needs to rid us of this disease.

5 Likes

Bob Hawke was a titan of Austrlian politics. Union leader, Rhodes Scholar, man of the people, larrikin and a bit of a ■■■■■■■ as well. Bob, with Keating changed Australia for the better. First politician I ever voted for being in his electorate. ‘‘I’ll tell you what … any boss who sacks anyone today (tomorrow) for not turning up is a bum.’’

6 Likes

In addition to all the accomplishments you mentioned, he also once held the world record for drinking a yard of beer.

(Maybe young people don’t even know what that is).

4 Likes

Remember speaking about it to an Apprentice a while back, …

“How many Eskies were in the Yard though”? , … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

From Wiki:

His academic achievements were complemented by setting a new world record for beer drinking; he downed 2 1⁄2 imperial pints (1.4 l)—equivalent to a yard of ale—from a sconce pot in 11 seconds as part of a college penalty.[19][20] In his memoirs, Hawke suggested that this single feat may have contributed to his political success more than any other, by endearing him to an electorate with a strong beer culture.

2 Likes

Im wasnt going to drink tonight but I might have a quiet little beer to toast Bobs memory

2 Likes

Astute readers of this forum may have come to suspect that I am not the world’s greatest admirer of ScuMo.

However, his speech tonight in response to the death of Bob Hawke was about 100 times better than Shorten’s. He appeared more sincere and spoke without having to refer constantly to notes like Shorten did.

Credit where it is due.

4 Likes

He seemed, perhaps, a little too prepared