Australian Politics, Mark II

2 Likes

He feels like the first distinctly Australian Prime Minister, one that wasnā€™t simply an Antipodean replica of British class politics.

4 Likes

Does anyone get the feeling that whatever steam the LNP had left just got snuffed out? Sportsbet started paying out on Labor at $1.16 today. Now this.

What?
Theyā€™re paying out already?

Just googled.
Gosh.

Yup. This morning.

LNP are going to get absolutely reamed down here in Victoria. There arenā€™t enough Qld seats to pick up to offset it. They history dude

1 Like

Morrison was gracious, but I felt Shorten was in personal shock - and probably had to reject his spin doctors urging to highlight the Hawke Governmentā€™s success as economic managers and as transformers of the Australian economy.
As Barrie Cassidy, Bob Brown, Susan Ryan and Wendy McCarthy have emphasised, the wider transformative policies in Australian society under his government are a big legacy ( which Howard and his successors have tried to wind back).
From my own experience, also how his government transformed Australiaā€™s international standing for the benefit of Australians - the enlightened self interest policy. Testing, but great times to be a public servant working for the common good and occasionally being courted in international forums - as previously being seen as the lackey of the Brits or the US.

1 Like

Bob Hawke was a truly great man. Heā€™s up there with Curtin and Chiffley as the greatest PMs this country has ever had. Requiescat in pace.

3 Likes

Two thirds of the electorate have prepolled in the marginal seat of Deakin. If this is a pattern in other marginal urban seats, we could be waiting a week or more for the outcome. And, if there is a minority government, wait longer for the crossbenchers to show their hand.

There are big swings in safe seats. It might end up being mainly Victoria that does it but you canā€™t deny rich betting agencies going 2 days early at $1.16. LNP are cooked. One and only thing I can think of that will swing it back is if tomorrow the US declare war on Iran and Iran do something truly awful straight away.

Politics is a sport now? I donā€™t even ā€¦

I canā€™t see a way for the coalition to win back as many seats anywhere else to offset what theyā€™re likely to lose in Victoria, but I suspect itā€™s going to be a lot closer than many expect (or than it should be, given the relative competence of the two major parties imhoā€¦)

I think the impact of the minor parties will be one of the most important things to come out of the poll. Almost certainly thereā€™ll (again) be a record primary vote for people other than the two majors. If the greens win a couple melb seats like Higgins off the libs itā€™ll be a very big deal (even though I donā€™t think theyā€™ll hold the lower house balance of power). I suspect a lot of the disgruntled Lib vote will go to Hanson or Palmer (especially given the stuff that broke yesterday about the Rwandan possible-murderers that Turnbull traded a bunch of boat people to the US for) rather than the ALP, whatā€™ll the senate representation of thge looney right look like? How many conservative independents will take seats off coalition types - Steggall, Oakeshott, the dude in Gilmore? And a lot of what the coalition do to respond to that will depend on who they lose - if Dutton and Abbott hang on but Frydenburg goes the Lib party into the 2020s will look a lot different than if would if the opposite was the case.

This is the least certain Iā€™ve been about an election in a long long time.

Sense we are a bit Victorian in our assessments arising from Andrews big win. . Labor could lose McNamara to the Greens, might regain Corangamite, plus Dunkley.
In NSW Labor could lose Lindsey, Reid touch and go, Gilmoure a possibility. In Queensland, Labor could lose Herbert. The traditional sugar swinging seats in Queensland often turn on the local candidate, I reckon Ensch is a shoe in.
In the big swing seats, the Nats could suffer badly to independents.
Tasmania is a bit of a mystery, canā€™t see Labor gains in SA. ACT should not have an effect.
Now Albert and Diggers, what about those two seats in WA - hardly any mention in the East, but could mean a change in government.

Itā€™s sad that kids these days only know him as the ā€˜old blokeā€™ that sculled a beer at the cricket.

He was a true Union and Labor man, who truely cared about the Australian people.

5 Likes

If you have a daughter, thank the Hawke Government ( including Susan Ryan) remind them about the rights they acquired under the Sex Discrimination Act to their education, employment and where they were allowed to be.

3 Likes

If Dutton loses itā€™s a double victory for me. No Duddon in my electorate (as put by 7yo jnr), and no LNP (telling marginal seat in QLD). Iā€™m no rusted-on Labor voter, but the choice is easy. Hereā€™s hoping.
And RIP Bob!

2 Likes

If Labor lose you can kiss goodbye future policy driven elections. It will all be disinformation and lies and attacks with zero policy substance.

4 Likes

ALP wonā€™t lose.

Itā€™ll be a landslide.

2 Likes

Hawkie passing just highlights what a rubbish lot we have to choose from now.

7 Likes

I have always said never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.

That goes double for WA. People here are dumb AND very conservative. They do not have any access to unbiased media (except for ABC) so are also misinformed.

I am betting the only paper in the state will come out tomorrow with some scare mongering headlines. The Murdoch media will too in other states, but at least there are the former Fairfax papers in Vic and NSW for a semblance of balance.

One person here told me he couldnā€™t vote for the ALP because Bill Shorten would spend money like a drunken sailor. WTAF?!?

1 Like