Australian Politics, Mark II

At least I enjoyed the Eurovision brand of populist politics (especially since I accepted we were never a chance, despite clearly being top three for charisma/presentation).

Well, yes, Victoria was irrelevant, and calls for Victoria to have swung more to the ALP are…silly.
What is it in Queensland 24-6? Something like that?
If that’s even 19-11 then the ALP win.

And I’m tired of people saying, ‘oh boo-hoo, don’t call them racists or stupid.’
They’ve given us Hanson, Palmer, Anning, Katter, Malcolm Roberts looks like returning…
At some point you’re judged by your choices.

5 Likes

That was a pie in the sky policy. They ran it because they knew it would never happen yet could get millage out of it and seem progressive. The state government would need to front up 2 billion to get the cash offered by the libs. The actual fast trains weren’t included in the price, thats just for the rail upgrade. They knew the state government wouldn’t match that sort of money.

Studies also showed that you could only run one train on the line at a time as the short distance with the number of stations, a second train would have to slow and stop behind the first train when it is at a station. The main problem on this line is not speed, but overcrowding. a fast train would have made that worse.

The libs may as well have promised a rocket ship to melbourne.

2 Likes

Yeah there’s zero chance of a 35min Geelong-Melbourne trip, unless you’re tunneling from Little River to the CBD, or making a fleet of helicopters that work the same way those blue bikes do.

It would need it’s own dedicated line through the western suburbs. In addition to the one that was JUST built.

I dont think Labour made the case for comminity well being very well IMO.

They should have run ads of young people looking at auctions and saying even if I work for 40 years can I pay this off.

I know so many immigrant blue collar families who got ahead by negative gearing. Very risky to change the playing field.

It came off like Howard said. ALP want to spend up and let things get out of contol (Shorten failed to articulate what his policies would cost which was very damaging IMO ) and they are coming after your lifetime savings.

3 Likes

Neoliberalism-lite defeated by neoliberalism; internet stunned at outcome. More at 11.

I’ve been harping on this for years, Labor have too much faith in the electorate. Humans are trash. Self-interest always wins.

Doesn’t matter anyway. The only way to achieve meaningful socio-political change would be to kill the rich and redistribute their resources.

Fun fact: take the most recent BRW rich list, implement above policy, and every working Australian will get $20k. Tell me people wouldn’t get on board with that.

4 Likes

20k I’m in.

1 Like

See?

1 Like

I wonder whether the inaccurate polling contributed to this outcome.

Because I think some of the more swinging voters don’t like the idea that one party will have a dominant majority…

…now in this election they kept being told that the ALP will romp it in…so they go into the voting booth, and go “I’ll just vote for someone other than ALP, to balance things up again”…and then wake up to find that they’ve all run to the same side of the boat!

1 Like

What a silly question.

The answer is depressing though.

1 Like

sigh
I’m shattered that this result means exactly what you say, and even the ALP can’t ignore last night’s lesson.
Politics is going to be dumbed down, vision free, and nasty for the next three years.
Queensland has shown that’s the only way to win.
The rest of the nation has to cater to these friggin’ morons, and that means stupid, mean, and relentless.

1 Like

I thought those ads of young and not so young people talking about job insecurities was very powerful. Put faces on a very real issue. The ALP need to hire the agency behind that ad for next time.

I don’t think it’s silly to say that underperforming in Vic is a problem that needs looking at. They needed and expected to win 3-4 seats. Didn’t happen. That’s not irrelevant. They must work out why. I could give them some hints.

Anyway, I voted Labor. 1st time since Gillard iirc. They lost. I’ll move on.

What has the world come to? Bacchus is now thinking like a Tory.

3 Likes

Of course it’s irrelevant.
If we cut off Queensland and let them drift out to sea, which has always been my preferred option, then the ALP wins 60-50.

It’s not just Victoria that’s irrelevant, it’s everywhere other than Queensland.
People can go on about ‘the quiet voices’ all they like.
It’s Queensland.
And that matters, I would suggest more than anything else going forward.

1 Like

Are you referring to ScuMo there?

This is the most corrupt Australian government in history - scandals after scandals from Paladin to Joyces jobs for mistress. Basically the public has rubberstamped this behaviour for the next three years - Libs can get away with anything now.

3 Likes

What a friggin disaster.

Negativity & fear-mongering win out over policy & fairness.
The uber-wealthy are rewarded at the expense of everyone else.
And the dysfunctional rabble who crippled the NBN, ABC, CSIRO & NDIS have been told to keep at it.

The ‘fair go’ is long dead.
God bless Australia.

5 Likes

For you @Crazy_Bomber

Cool, I’ll tell the family we’re moving to Melbourne tommorow.

2 Likes