Australian Politics, Mark II

Starting salary of $140K? Wow!

I reckon train drivers deserve every $.

You’re responsible for thousands of life’s every day you work. Really unfortunately it’s highly likely you’re going to witness someone taking their own life.

A job I could not do.

12 Likes

Beat me to it. This happens a lot more frequently than the public realise.

1 Like

Worth moving to Melbourne for.

I would replace “progressives” with Neo-liberal “leftists” - Clinton certainly wasn’t a progressive candidate. Sanders, the grandpapy of modern progressivism, is well and truly used to the general public not sharing his worldview and he has spent most of his political career trying to reach out to those outside the inner-city bubble.

2 Likes

The inland rail between Melbourne + Brisbane started july last year… as a train driver with 20 years experience yes many have to go through the trauma of suicide …some handle it fine others do not return to the job…i had plenty of close calls near misses but thankfully no fatalities…

over the years i had friends mates come onto the job but not many last due to many different reasons…this being one of them

4 Likes

One of the benefits of a coalition-styled party is that they have the ability to cater for many different and diverse markets.

Labor can only really have 1 platform and 1 message, whereas the coalition has the Liberals catering to economically conservative urbanites, the Nationals catering to rural folk, the LNP catering to QLDers and then they have the emerging Uber-conservative microparties cutting out their own little niches around the country which funnel their votes toward the Coalition.

3 Likes

Terrible result. At least for us in Victoria though nothing much will change, given Andrews will stop the EW Link (thank god, it is the worst project in the history of projects)

3 Likes

Labor should be doing everything within their power to convince Shaun Micallef to become their faceman, hell, even a hologram of Bob Hawk would be more popular than Shorten.

The last thing Labor needs is to rush their leadership decision.

They’re already starting to position themselves. You’d think it would be Albanese or Plibersek but they’ll probably pick some uninspiring mope like Bowen.

I’d like them to go for Burke personally, but I don’t think they’ll do that.

I agree, for what it’s worth.

When you look at it with a longer perspective, what Labor was saying was this. There will be heaps, huge amounts, of money for all the right things: people with disabilities or disadvantages, schools, infrastructure, water, tax cuts for the low paid, climate change, penalty rates — on and on the list went. And bigger budget surpluses than the Liberals promised. And it would all be paid for by the nasty people — multinationals, rich tax dodgers; certainly not you or anyone you know — and it wouldn’t affect the economy at all except to make it better.

I think to a lot of people it all sounded a bit magic-pudding-ish — you’ll be able to eat as much cake as you want and the cake will still be there! Especially when the person selling it was Bill Shorten, who sounded less and less sincere as the campaign went on.

Scott Morrison did a great job. He saw the weak spot and he hammered it non-stop. As a contrast to the huge agenda Labor was offering, he made “more of the same” seem not so bad as all that. Plus, he looks as if he means what he says.

I really hope that he can use this victory to start to make some real, even if only modest, changes. He has earned absolute authority within his party now: people like Abbott will snipe from the sidelines but no-one will care, especially not Morrison. He has the opportunity to lead and be confident that the necessary people will follow. I just hope he decides to use that opportunity to do some sensible things that need to be done.

6 Likes

And yet they have voted in a Labor state government the last two state elections.

They need someone from NSW or QLD who can pretend to be “one of the people” and pulls off a nice baseball cap. Plibersek would be the “Victorian choice”, but I doubt she resonates with those outside the city.

Labor needs to embrace the dirty nature of politics and the media and act accordingly

1 Like

Ummm she’s the member for Sydney…

Could you tell more about these changes as I didn’t hear anything about policy from them during the election?

She looks too capable though. She wouldn’t pass the “would I have a beer with her test”.

She’d also come across as a Smug Elitist to the Red Necks who have inferiority complexes

Did the coalition follow Labor’s lead regarding a RC into Aged Care?

That’s probably because Campbell Newman nuked the joint.

1 Like

Tell me this bloke couldn’t sell himself as a man of the people.

1 Like

I think Chalmers.