Australian Politics, Mark II

It would be an annual event

1 Like

this is the part i can’t get my head around. these plonkers have been in for 6 years to date. the first three they just rubbished their predecessors, which is cool, you get a little time for that, then spent the next three barely even agreeing with themselves on policy and who the fark was going to lead them.

“we” voted them back in after a not so great track record. labor must be bad, real, real bad in the eyes of many for that to happen.

1 Like

You need a progressive execution system with a set of execution brackets based on income. So, say, anything below $50k is execution free pay but one once you’re up at $200 you’re liable for the 35% execution rate, minus any deductibles.

lol oh man. The greatest fk-you move Abbott pulled in his career and everyone still eats it up.

Remember that Turnbull was given that portfolio after his original leadership challenge, and after the LNP’s NBN policy was already drawn up.

Making Turnbull try and sell that, and thereby taking the blame for it, was punishment for daring to challenge the almighty Tony.

And it totally worked.

4 Likes

Personally I dont find Labor all that progressive bar the gender make-up in their front bench.

But in policy? I didnt think they offered anything that remarkable. Schools and Hospitals? :sleeping:

Childcare spending perhaps might help.

If the Libs go infrastructure and maintain their tax relief. I think they will steam roll it in 3 years time. Moreso if they can reconcile mining with the mainstream city voters.

Ballarat and Bendigo are now part of the Melbourne commuter belt; Melbourne is closer to Brisbane than are Cairns and Townsville; Townsville has huge unemployment, virtually sustained by an army presence; there is a higher proportion of seats outside the capital in Queensland than in Victoria

Being a resident Qlder, I can tell you they are a strange breed up here, especially in the North. They will keep voting Bob Katter in my electorate, even when he is in a coffin. And I can tell you now, Innisfail where he hails from, has businesses closing down left right & centre, it is a huge ‘stuggletown’.

You would think with Bob having some sort of balance of power in the past would mean it’s pork barrel central & the streets would be paved in gold, but Innisfail is skint, but what do they do to change it? Give him a bigger majority, even the LNP guy’s votes went up. Labor barely managed 15%.

Shorten’s mistake was to come clean & give out details of his new policies in advance eg franking credits, negative gearing etc. He should have done what Rudd in 2007 & Abbott in 2013 did & say nothing, clam up & don’t give anyone a clue, be a policy free zone - then you have no target on your back. Then all the swing voters up here would have said, ok we will give a Labor a go this time, as they aren’t much different from the other mob.

Watch Albo or whoever make Labor a policy free zone before 2022.

6 Likes

Daily commutes from those towns to Melbourne would be a tiny percentage of the population.
Distance, sure. I’ll buy that.

(And it was Bundy, not Cairns, but point taken).

Yes, there was an overwhelming tidal wave of disgruntled Australians that wanted to oust an incompetent government who were in a mess and the shambles. The result? A 2% swing in Victoria. Woah!

I’m not saying there was a groundswell to labor. I’m saying there isn’t a strong underlying support for the libs in the surburban centres. If the libs have pretty much 100% of rural seats then labor must have a majority of surburban seats. Yet the narrative is that the liberals are the preferred party in the burbs. It’s not true.

Or rather, labor has some interesting decisions to make.

Target nth tassie and qld, where the seats aren’t natural labor seats, where they never hold them for more than one election, where they vote for one nation at 20%.

Or realise there are 20 seats in cities under 5% margin where demographics are changing becoming more diverse and more progressive. There are a heap of seats with 10-20% greens vote that liberals hold.

Labor should pivot to being the metro party. Economical conservative but socially progressive. If they pick off more city seats they can hold them for a generation and the coalition doesn’t have a route to power.

The Jo / Flo incumbency explains a lot about Queensland that people from the deep south will never understand.

PS. Cameron Clayton mentions Bob Katter. Basically the same thing 40 years on.

Fast forward 3 years to the news headlines of the day…

Labors wins election and outlines vision for Australia.

Albanese: “Australia is a great and diverse nation we are proud to serve”

Labor%20Aus%20Map

3 Likes

I’d suggest this doesn’t work now but in a couple more decades it will, as the population growth (of whatever age/demographic) will be overwhelmingly there.

Isn’t that what they’re doing already?

Actually now that I think about it, did they have a strategy beyond a policy-based campaign?

Better cut WA off that map too.:joy:

They did but they cooked it by going after negative gearing, pensions etc etc.

They should campaign on not going after people’s money(they can crimp at the margins through means testing).

But they will reflect the values of the cities. Climate change, Same sex, tolerance etc. With still retaining its blue collar roots.

Shout largely and often that we aren’t building a vision of Australia that reflects nth QLD like the coalition doo. But rather the current silent majority of the cities.

1 Like

Lol.
I lived in Bundy for a time.
I think you’re overstating the ‘just hates Labor’ a tad.

The liberal party is a metro party, the Nationals are the country party. The coalition is a traditional agreement between 2 disparate political forces. Even so, they struggle to get even 50% of the 2PP vote. The ALP has a tacit coalition with the Greens, getting them to around 50% 2pp. The problem is, the Greens are too similar to the ALP, and are city based. Thats the balance today. The green vote has been a refuge for protest voters that is in reality simply a vote for the ALP.
We are dealing with a knife edge. 1% either way is a good working majority, 2% either way is a landslide.

1 Like

Weeeell, the removed section is practically a one party state.