BB Rules of Modern Etiquette for the 21st Century

I mow mine to the drain.
Technically about a metre into their side, but it just seems a nice friendly border.

I mow to my neighbours driveway because itā€™s about 2 metres from my property boundry and they have a long driveway. Plus, theyā€™re really nice old folks and itā€™s bugger-all cost to me to be neighbourly. They brought my bins in whilst I was away, so it all works out.

Ok. I've recently moved into a house with a nature strip. So I need a rundown of nature strip etiquiette.

I find it infinitely annoying when I see someone has mowed theirs to the line of their property only to leave a square metre to the curb, unmown - coz itā€™s not their responsiblity etc. Just to be clear, this isnā€™t the case with my house, Iā€™m talking about when I see it anywhere. Just mow the rest you miserable ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  miser.

At the same time, there has to be a line. My neighbourā€™s strip extending from mine is 3 times the size of mine. Do I do the extra nice thing and do it if it happens to need doing? If I do that, do I go around the corner and do the rest - less than Iā€™ve already mown - that is not even on my street?

Where do you draw the line?

Have you met them? are they nice?

If they are nice im sure they would appreciate you helping them out. If they are not then screw them

Ok. I've recently moved into a house with a nature strip. So I need a rundown of nature strip etiquiette.

I find it infinitely annoying when I see someone has mowed theirs to the line of their property only to leave a square metre to the curb, unmown - coz itā€™s not their responsiblity etc. Just to be clear, this isnā€™t the case with my house, Iā€™m talking about when I see it anywhere. Just mow the rest you miserable ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  miser.

At the same time, there has to be a line. My neighbourā€™s strip extending from mine is 3 times the size of mine. Do I do the extra nice thing and do it if it happens to need doing? If I do that, do I go around the corner and do the rest - less than Iā€™ve already mown - that is not even on my street?

If they are nice im sure they would appreciate you helping them out. If they are not then screw them

Iā€™ve only met the woman - seemed nice. For the record, I mowed up to the corner, but didnā€™t go around the corner. Feels like a bit of a Larry David moment.

Iā€™ve only met the woman - seemed nice. For the record, I mowed up to the corner, but didnā€™t go around the corner. Feels like a bit of a Larry David moment.

Oh man, not going around the corner is like double dipping!!! Just kidding. I do a bit of next doors on one side and they sometimes do a bit of mine. I also do the other side because it works for me - if not it gets done less often. It takes a few minutes. I seldom see the people and thereā€™s no point getting a angsty. As well sometimes ours go a bit too long between cuts, too, so I hate to be a hypocrite and whinge about others. Some people pay a gym to let them go in and do similar exercise.

Oh man, not going around the corner is like double dipping!!! Just kidding. I do a bit of next doors on one side and they sometimes do a bit of mine. I also do the other side because it works for me - if not it gets done less often. It takes a few minutes. I seldom see the people and thereā€™s no point getting a angsty. As well sometimes ours go a bit too long between cuts, too, so I hate to be a hypocrite and whinge about others. Some people pay a gym to let them go in and do similar exercise.

I know. Iā€™m still conflicted. But I also wonder if Iā€™m overthinking it/worrying about it too much - I have a habit of this.

Yes you are.
Just do what you need to do to have it look like you want it to look.

Iā€™d rather councils just get rid of nature strips, if I canā€™t park in it you fkg mow it ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– .

1 Like

I know. Iā€™m still conflicted. But I also wonder if Iā€™m overthinking it/worrying about it too much - I have a habit of this.

My lawn guy will do the neighbourā€™s lawn, if they pay him :smiley:

Please stop talking about mowing you big dags

Please stop talking about mowing you big dags

For lawn chance!

Blitz thoughts pleaseā€¦

Iā€™m invited to a wedding next Friday night. Itā€™s not a formal sit down thing, that already happened overseas last year. This one is a drinks/canapĆ©s thing at a bar.

Anyway, one of my friends is coming to stay with me next weekend and I asked if she could come along, I even offered to pay. I was told no as they only want people they know there. I know another friend of ours is coming from interstate and his girlfriend who has never met the couple is invited.

Am I being discriminated against as a single person?

Blitz thoughts please...

Iā€™m invited to a wedding next Friday night. Itā€™s not a formal sit down thing, that already happened overseas last year. This one is a drinks/canapĆ©s thing at a bar.

Anyway, one of my friends is coming to stay with me next weekend and I asked if she could come along, I even offered to pay. I was told no as they only want people they know there. I know another friend of ours is coming from interstate and his girlfriend who has never met the couple is invited.

Nope. Their wedding (or wedding related event), their rules.

I remember someone calling us before our wedding and asking if someone else could come (similar scenario), I thought it was innappropriate

Blitz thoughts please...

Iffy

Blitz thoughts please...

No. They are bringing their partner, you wish to bring a random friend. Quite different things.

Blitz thoughts please...

If you go wear a bow tie

My friendships including this one have and will outlast most relationships.

You should always be allowed a plus 1. People think itā€™s ok to invite their partners to my events when I donā€™t have one and I donā€™t care. I would never let a guest come to a function on their own without giving them the option not to. Itā€™s not fun.

People in relationships forget what itā€™s like to be single.

Definitely their wedding and their rules but yeah.

Whatā€™s Jobeā€™s status these days ?

If other strangers are rocking up, and you offered to pay, it sounds like theyā€™re being quite the R soles,ā€¦ but it may have to do with numbers, catering, and timing. eg when they knew the strange new GF would come.

If you were always going solo, then late in the day want to bring an extra, then thatā€™s a different ball game.

The question is, did they invite you and a plus one? The debate would then be, if not why not?

And should invites always offer anyone/everyone (singles) a plus one?

I think next time to avoid any issues further down the track Iā€™ll just RSVP no to these things.