BBFFL#2 2019 Discussion

Coaching Announcement Change for 2019
It is with great pleasure that I announce we have found a replacement coach for @westozziebomber. I would like to warmly and formally welcome @Maxx to the BBFFL#2. He has big shoes to fill, but I am sure his fantasy footy pedigree will give him a sound footing. All the very best on taking on a team in the process of rebuilding.

Losing @westozziebomber will no doubt alter the dynamics of our league. I don’t think we have had another coach who clearly backed his strategy to the hilt and was rewarded with two BBFFL#2 premierships. We will fondly remember his aggressive and concise trade offers for anyone nearing or over the age of 30.

WOB was successful in our inaugural season, 2012, and after falling as low as 11th in 2014 he rebounded to win the 2014 premiership. Unfortunately, the winning strategy also meant that the team came to somewhat of a cliff and over the past 2 seasons WOB only managed to 4 wins with back to back 17th place finishes. However the core of a young team is there and ready to be moulded back into a contending position.

In 144 BBFFL#2 games coached, WOB managed to chalk up a total of 75 wins to accompany 69 losses. From 2012 to 2016 his record was 73 wins and 35 losses. His longest winning streak of 13 wins came from Round 13 2012 until Round 3 2013, while his longest losing streak of 17 matches was from Round 2 to Round 18 2018 - before he returned to the winners’ circle for one last time as a BBFFL#2 coach. In finals WOB has the inevitable record of 9 wins from 11 games, with his only losses coming in the 2013 Preliminary Final and the 2015 Semi Final.

5 Likes

So my list of keepers at this stage looks like this:

Jack Macrae C
Elliot Yeo C
Bryce Gibbs C
Joel Selwood C
Liam Shiels C
Jarryd Lyons C
Tom Cutler C
Kade Simpson B
Zach Tuohy B
Jarrod Harbrow B
Wayne Milera B
Hayden Crozier B
Callum Sinclair R
Matthew Kreuzer R
Jack Martin FC
Luke Breust F
Alex Neal-Bullen F

I am willing to consider any trades for my keepers - but clearly some of these players are basically priceless, ie Macrae and Yeo, so remember that when offering up Liam Jones for Yeo.

The remaining 3 keeper spots will be raffled between the following:
Anthony Miles C
Josh Jenkins F
Scott Selwood C
Sam Lloyd FC
Jordan Gallucci F
Grant Birchall B

Again all these players are up for trade. Given his age Gallucci will demand the most in return.

My final pot of players are my certain delistees in:
Shaun Burgoyne C
Billy Gowers F
Lin Jong FC
Brayden Crossley F

So make me an offer that I can’t refuse and any of these fine players can be yours.

Trade wise I am keen to add to my forward depth and would also be looking to improve my draft position. Given I don’t have any early picks, my players are my number one currency.

Gee, not only is Burgoyne old and starting to get injuries but is also now a C only!?

I wonder what CD watch sometimes. The bloke plays everywhere.

1 Like

And welcome to Maxx. Good luck for the season.

I think Wob made a good first step in restarting the list last year. There’s actually some younger talent there now, and in a way it’s a shame he won’t continue that through. Great fantasy coach.

I remember the outrage when Pazza selected Burgoyne with the second pick in the 2013 draft. I doubt many players taken in that draft have outscored Burgoyne in the 6 seasons since.

2 Likes

That was before my time I think, but certainly an inspired pick.

I DO remember the outrage a few years later when he took a total bust at 2 or 3. Can’t recall who that was.

Paz certainly had his own ideas.

There was definitely Sam Dwyer at some point VERY early…

I’ve probably settled on 16 or so keepers.

The JLT will be interesting.

Someone like George Horlin Smith is giving me headaches. He can certainly find the ball, and surely GC need to play him. But will it be key midfield minutes or out wide?

I’ve a couple of decisions to make.

That’s the one!

speaking of old drafts, i got an email saying they’re getting rid of our original wiki page.
@redbull you scrape all that data out of there before shutting it down?

Yep I have all the data but I also reaccessed the wiki so it should be right for another 12 months!

2 Likes

@redbull i have the link but I need a league code to join.

Also do I make trade offers here? PM or is there another thread?

Awesome mate. I will PM you the joining code.

Trades offers are made through PMs. Then once a deal is completed it is posted in this thread:

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/t/bbffl-2-2019-completed-trades/14909/3

Geez my team is awful, need to nail the draft…

a draft full of new players and discarded hacks.

Tough to make up ground quickly.

True but you can find gold in amongst the discards. Luke Breust as a pick in the 20s last year turned out to be a gem of a forward.

Here’s last years draft for reference

Obviously the cream is the first round, but there’s definitely value later in the draft.

1 Like

I’m pretty good at maths so can someone tell me how this works.

1. Backs x 5
  2. Centres x 6
  3. Forwards x 5
  4. Ruck x 1
  5. Utility x 1
  6. Emergencies x 4
  7. Bench Players x 10

Equals 32 players right? I thought we had 30 player squads?

Also in the Utility spot on the ground can you place a player from any position?

2 Likes

Good questions.

The reason we have 10 on the bench is too allow for two Long term injury list positions. So unless you have a player eligible for the LTI list you would only have 8 on the bench giving you a squad of 30.

Re the utility- yes you can play anyone from your squad in this position.

1 Like

And to expand on Reds point re LTI -

Preseason (before draft) -

• A player with an existing injury that will equal or exceed 8 weeks duration can be named in your keepers and put straight onto the LTI. You will be given a pick at the end of the draft to access a replacement.
  • Existing injuries only apply to keepers. If you draft an injured player, you will not get LTI consideration.
  • Maximum of two LTI’s on a list at any given time. LTI candidates need to be submitted the night before draft commences.
  • Keeper List LTI’s or if your player gets injured after drafting but prior to round 1, will be eligible to return after Round 7 rather than Round 8 as we will include the prior weekend in the “missed weeks” count.

During season (post round 1 opening night)

• LTI players must have been injured in Round 1 or beyond and be forecast on an official AFL injury list to miss at least 8 rounds of footy (or we sometimes accept “unknown”, “indefinite” etc as clubs are not always upfront, mental health issues Yada yada).
  • An approval or decline of LTI status is final, but whoever is running the LTI list is usually open to discussion and viewing various sources if the AFL list seems incomplete.
  • Once listed, you cannot name that player in your team for 8 rounds even if they return to the game early.
  • Once listed , you may select a replacement player from the FA pool. That player stays on your list and can be selected in your side at your discretion.
  • once the injured player returns to play at any level (assuming 8 weeks have elapsed) you must cut a player from your list again. This player need not be the original replacement. If applicable, you can transfer another player onto LTI instead of cutting one.

Hope this is reasonably clear.

3 Likes