Ben Cousins Goes Ape (again)

Is gaol the only word in the English language where ga is pronounced with a soft g, rather than a hard one?

G is like the letter c, where, if followed by e or i and another vowel, has a j sound (c has an s sound).
Otherwise it has the hard g sound. The hard c sound is the same as the k sound.

I think most people accept that jail cannot be spelt gaol and it’s just a ridiculous pom affectation.

But I’m fond of this particular pom affectation.
Looks like he's heading to a rotting in jail type of future
Speaking of gaol (that's how we spell it in AUSTRALIA by the way) a guy I know used to play for Coolbelup in the Sunday league and one of the teams they came up against were the Woorooloo prison side. They were a crack outfit made even better by a one A Krakauer. Vito (his real name) was on the waiting list for a high bomb from a team mate when he got screamered by A Krakauer. Vito stands at 6" 2' and he says that Krakauer stood upright on his head, took the mark, hit the ground running, took at least two bounces and slotted one from outside 50. Woorooloo went on to kick 60+ majors for the afternoon.

Is that a slightly covert racist comment? Especially as in modern Australia it is referred to as Jail.

Didn’t expect that from you.

Slightly racist? What are you kidding? It's totally racist.
Is gaol the only word in the English language where ga is pronounced with a soft g, rather than a hard one?

G is like the letter c, where, if followed by e or i and another vowel, has a j sound (c has an s sound).

I think most people accept that jail cannot be spelt gaol and it’s just a ridiculous pom affectation.

English is not consistent, nor is it phonetic, i.e. I’d argue it’s not a matter of how things can and can’t be spelt. I did fail linguistics at uni though.

English is not consistent, nor is it phonetic, i.e. I’d argue it’s not a matter of how things can and can’t be spelt. I did fail linguistics at uni though.

There are conventions though…and gaol breaks them.

I realise the other day that I’d always pronounced purgative with a soft g, and was surprised when a mate pronounced it with a hard g. According to the OED, he is right.

More purgatory than purge innit

Seriously, I told you guys to read Chasing The Scream. Did you?

Arrested yet again

Still alive then. Everytime this thread lights up I imagine the worst. Him being arrested is just proof of life at this stage

Still alive then. Everytime this thread lights up I imagine the worst. Him being arrested is just proof of life at this stage

Ditto, every time I open this thread I expect to read the news that he is dead

This is sadly fairly normal. In fact if he had’ve been any other pleb, he would’ve probably served 15 prison sentences by the time he was about 28.

Ironically, Cousins is something of an argument against the belief that drug addiction can be addressed by decriminalisation.

Guy faced absolutely no legal consequences for his drug use for years. For him, it WASN’T illegal, in any meaningful way. Still it turned him into … Whatever he is now.

Ironically, Cousins is something of an argument against the belief that drug addiction can be addressed by decriminalisation.

Guy faced absolutely no legal consequences for his drug use for years. For him, it WASN’T illegal, in any meaningful way. Still it turned him into … Whatever he is now.

That strand is thinner than WADAs argument.

Don’t think you can make that connection.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one if the LOCK UP ALL TEH ADDICTZ crowd & I think drug laws for stuff like usage should be loosened. But as cousins demonstrates, simply being free of legal consequences for your drug use doesn’t mean it won’t ■■■■ you up.

Decriminalisation aint a magic bullet.

Taking the drugs out of it

He has busted AVOs 2 or 3 times now and has yet to be sent to jail

So much for all that fight against Domestic Violence BS campaign that is running at the moment

that’s quite a over-simplification of the arguments for decriminalisation.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one if the LOCK UP ALL TEH ADDICTZ crowd & I think drug laws for stuff like usage should be loosened. But as cousins demonstrates, simply being free of legal consequences for your drug use doesn’t mean it won’t ■■■■ your up.

This is already very well demonstrated in the case of alcohol. I don’t think advocates for decriminalisation are arguing that it will address addiction per se. Rather, they argue that the ‘war on drugs’ is a massive failure and a waste of resources.

Good points made. We’re seemingly getting a bit better and not jailing people purely for possession. I think society is learning that not all addicts are necessarily scum. If they physically don’t harm anyone else but themselves, then they should have free will to inject whatever they ■■■■■■ like. However, it’s not as though decriminilisation will lead to “free” drugs, they will still have to financially support their habit. Chances are they will still do this via burglaries, armed robberies etc. I don’t see how we’ll ever stop this. It’s not something where a perfect solution will ever be found.

Cos it wasn’t addressing all of the arguments for decriminalisation, only the argument that it’d benefit addicts.

There are a whole bunch of other arguments - financial, for example - which still hold.

Cos it wasn’t addressing all of the arguments for decriminalisation, only the argument that it’d benefit addicts.

There are a whole bunch of other arguments - financial, for example - which still hold.

Sure, but using a sole celebrity as the reason that ’ an argument against the belief that drug addiction can be addressed by decriminalisation’ doesn’t even really hold up either.

Dont agree with any of that HM of Bomber Girl. Look at Switzerland. They have free heroin sponsored by their NHS. You go to a clinic, tell them how much you want, inject safely and in peace. After that you sit and talk to a counsellor and are constantly offered to check into the adjacent rehab centre. What that allows is for the addict to spend the rest of their day living a functional and potentially prosperous life rather than planning to beg borrow and steal for their next hit. What may surprise you is that 80% of addicts, after visiting these clinics for a year, (and usually after choosing to increase their dosage each time), voluntarily choose to reduce their dosage and slowly wean off the drugs.

What decriminalisation would allow the govt. to do with Ben is it lets us more freely accept that he is an addict, stop spending money trying to put him away and provide him with free, uncut substances of known purity (big deal that one) and then spend the other 95% of the time trying to offer a guy like him the help he needs which go to the root of why he’s an addict (pro tip: it’s not just cos da drugs r powerful) EDIT: not that I’m saying some brainiac hasn’t suggested counselling for him yet.

(/armchair expert)