Ben Cousins Goes Ape (again)

Why is Cousins’s wife no angel? He’s put her through hell, threatened violence, etc. How is that her fault?

Or just the old standard victim-blaming, while saying Cousins has an addiction…it’s not his fault.

Blind Freddie knows that these substances can take hold of you. No need for you to say yes in the early stages.

Probably different if it’s prescription opioids they’ve become addicted to, but if they’re illegal…no sympathy from me.

3 Likes

Same goes for alcohol, a substance with huge addictive potential. Just say no kids!!!

2 Likes

Alcohol is slightly different. If alcohol has a bad effect on your behaviour, either don’t drink, or learn when to say enough.

Lol. The fkn ignorance, … :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I think this is highly likely, but I have no evidence.

Can anyone confirm or deny? Not about Cousins and the West Coke Eagles at that time particularly, but more so in general? One would hope that the days of enablement at all clubs is well and truly over?

Have you ascertained whether or not AOD is illegal?

3 Likes

If it was that simple drug addiction would not exist. And remember alcohol is far and away the number 1 problematic substance people in Australia present to drug treatment services with

4 Likes

Wasn’t there a problem with the number of crims around the Eagles club?

1 Like

Many people fail to understand what mental illness is because they have never been close to anyone who has become mentally ill. Mental illness is complex. Its not like having a broken arm/leg or someone on crutches, those injuries are easily seen. Mental illness is often unseen and there may not be any warning signs until someone flips out. Then the person may need to be confined, to be safely cared for and to be protected from their own thoughts and behaviour. Particularly, when others, can become reactions or triggers for the unwell person simply by being in close proximity. This may mean the unwell person becomes even worse and can become violent because they are frightened and/or angry and then others need to be protected from them.

I understand it because I have been there. When someone snaps, they are not rational or logical, its difficult to communicate with them. Sedation is required but working out the meds and getting the right dose doesn’t happen immediately and is no quick fix either. Getting the right meds and getting people to take their meds and getting them to stay on meds, can be a game of hit and miss. Relapse from abuse of meds, deciding to go off meds because of side effects or because they decide the meds are not needed anymore are common problems. Or if in jail, selling meds to someone else or someone stealing a person’s meds which means the person on meds could relapse because the level of meds in their system alters.

Unfortunately, in Australia, we do not have a workable Mental Health System with rehabilitation services with confined spaces to keep people who are mentally ill safe and keep the community safe from mentally ill people who become violent. Jail is not the place for mentally unwell people but because there is nowhere else, that’s usually where those with mental health conditions end up. This makes jails very unsafe, unhealthy and very dangerous spaces and places for everyone.

Lots of people have opinions but many have no idea what they are talking about unless they have experienced being around or living with someone who is mentally ill.

10 Likes

How do I delete a whole post

Amen. and, … just somewhat ironically, … “Such Is Life”

Her track record in the putting things in your body that make you an evil little t urd has been mentioned before.

As I was saying to westozzie if she is dissaffected by the same stuff, all that spiel about screwdrivers and live burials is probably bull$hit. And If I was going to hazard a guess they where in a toxic, co dependant little arrangement that’s still ticking along on some level. He had a supply quantity up devils alley it would appear. If she’s inclined it would be easy for her to make all sorts of $hit up, even to the point of taunting him with his kids wellbeing.

But I digress.

And I never said it’s not his fault regarding managing it. There is no difference from getting rehab for addiction to taking meds for epilepsy. You are responsible and they are both illnesses and you control possible impacts on yourself and others by getting the right help.

What he can’t help is his wiring in the same way an alcoholic might or dare i say it a pedophile. And he was going to come across it eventually if the environment at west coast is accurate as they say. There is an aspect he had no choice over thats where he needs some sort of empathy and help.

It’s a horrible thing to watch.

Let’s just say I am happy that there are actual professional psychologists

2 Likes

He has breached AVOs or DVOs against him.

Ah right,addiction is a choice.

Thanks Doc.

I once had a restraining order put on me by a girlfriend who had severe mental issues. I don’t know how similar they are to avos or dvos but the police went on her word rather than actually looking at evidence, or putting some sort of case together. If they had of they would have found out I was being being attacked with a coat hanger and defending myself with a small decorative cushion.
It turned out ok as I didn’t want to be with her anymore and I had the documentation to back me up.
what was your question again

Whether it is or isn’t is beside the point. Treating them by saying “it’s not their fault, it’s an illness” completely absolves them of any individual responsibility they have, and virtually disables them from fixing themselves. They become entitled and they blame everyone else for their problems. This means they’ll continue being criminals, and eventually die.
In saying that, I understand these people are often results of shocking upbringings and abuse, where if suffered by you and I, we probably would’ve suicided. On the other hand, when privileged people like Cousins end up like this, it just demonstrates the true dysfunctionality (and mental illness) of some people. Unfortunately, some people cannot come back from this, and no one can save them. It’s just an awful reality of life, but people like to give their idealistic point of view, when they’ve had zero dealings with such individuals.

1 Like

Not in question that he has been charged with breaching orders and, IIRC , convicted in some cases - which would require factual evidence.

Their relationship sounds like the one that Ben Pappas had with Lynette Phillips which, unfortunately, ended in just about the worst way imaginable.

1 Like

Kkl Ever been on drugs? Ever been mentally ill?

I’m not disagreeing with you by any means and I’m agreeing with what you are saying…however associating with people who are and where they are at decades later and some not making it I do have greater awareness of how people cannot change even with help.

So my suggestion of going away for a minimum of 2 years is plausible because I also know some who have escaped and changed. Jail though is not the way they are highest of users in there and the environment is of no benefit to those who are needing help

He needs to first accept he has a major problem, this happens away from the destructive environment in a rehab with a lot of counselling. Until he accepts he will not change.