Ben Lennon

I’m more of a Brian Wilson fan

Rookie at best for me

My tiger mates rate him but that doesn’t say much

I don’t know much about him. He plays a bit like Irish doesn’t he?

He was a development player with a few points of high upside (long, flat, accurate kicking and willingness to run with the ball) when drafted, but Richmond is where development players go to die.

26 is too high for him though. Sure he was a first round pick, but that was in 2013 and you can’t live off that forever. 3 senior games this year (in a club that finished in the bottom half and dropping), for a maximum of 13 touches - that’s not second rounder material. Hell, shredwards had a better year than that, and he got delisted.

Id offer pick 37
Number 9 Number 9 Number 9

I thought pace (or lack of) was one of his downsides, but I saw someone mention he had good pace. Is this true?

Anyway, I’ve never seen him so have no comment on if we should try to get him.

He was a development player with a few points of high upside (long, flat, accurate kicking and willingness to run with the ball) when drafted, but Richmond is where development players go to die.

26 is too high for him though. Sure he was a first round pick, but that was in 2013 and you can’t live off that forever. 3 senior games this year (in a club that finished in the bottom half and dropping), for a maximum of 13 touches - that’s not second rounder material. Hell, shredwards had a better year than that, and he got delisted.

Yep exactly. Get into his ear, get him wanting to come here, get him to “nominate” us and offer up pick 55 and maybe a swap of picks as a sweetener to try and get him dirt cheap. If we have to settle for pick 37 that wouldn’t be the end of the world.

I thought pace (or lack of) was one of his downsides, but I saw someone mention he had good pace. Is this true?

Anyway, I’ve never seen him so have no comment on if we should try to get him.

From what I’ve seen (which is mostly if him as a junior) he’s got some pace once he’s gotten going but isn’t particularly explosive off the mark.

I'm interested in any player we don't need to give anything more than a 3rd round pick.

Ie. They’re either an average player or a delisted player which we poach through the PSD. Other than that… F*ck off.

Yeah but our problem is we play these players each week as part of our best 22.

Bits from Twomey’s 2013 draft preview:-

STRENGTHS
Firstly, it’s his foot skills. Over any distance Lennon is a terrific right-foot kick, pinpointing passes and directing the play with his ball use. Around goal that’s a bonus, because he converts shots from any angle and loves to snap around his body. His marking is at the same level. Although not a key position size (189cm), Lennon marks and leads like a tall. Sometimes it looks like he has run too hard at a marking contest, but he slows down at last moment, protects the space in front and sticks the mark. Circumstances prevented him from spending more time in the midfield but towards the end of the season he found the opportunity and excelled. He’s combative (60 per cent of his possessions at the carnival were contested), he has spring in his legs, demands the ball and wants to be a part of the action.

WEAKNESSES
The question on Lennon was whether he could be a full-time midfielder at AFL level. He hasn’t had huge chances to show his stuff in that area of the ground, but made the most of it in that patch from July through to September for the Knights. He can still work on his endurance and his defensive running.

PLAYS LIKE
His attributes and ability to play most positions make him a different type of player. In that similar mould is Brendon Goddard, particularly given Lennon’s overhead marking and accurate kicking.

DRAFT RANGE
A top-10 pick, and if he isn’t, a club will get a bargain.

BOTTOM LINE
Lennon wants the ball in his hands at the big moments, a characteristic of all the best players. Kicks goals, takes some risks and understands the game. One of the top prospects available.

I’d be pretty keen for us to look at him with our 3rd rounder going to 9ers

Surely we’ve seen enough by now to know that you can’t predict what a new environment will do for a player. For every player that drastically improves there are those that simply don’t. I like the risk associated with picking up Lennon due to his potential and Richmond’s inability to develop players. A Richmond supporting friend is shattered that he is leaving and I actually trust his judgement of players. It’s a yes from me but I have no idea about what is a fair price.

The Shredwards argument is a good one, highly regarded junior with, what appears to be, huge potential. Not a huge difference in age.
Would we have taken pick 26 for him?
What about 37?
55?

I haven't seen him play but someone in the player management world suggested to me he could be the next Josh Kennedy.

Was it, perhaps, Ben Lennon’s manager?

I haven't seen him play but someone in the player management world suggested to me he could be the next Josh Kennedy.

Sydney’s Josh I presume?

jeepers!

I would like us to give him an opportunity, I want to see him play his natural game and find some confidence, Worsfold allows players to play with their natural flair which I really like, Confidence will grow and Lennon will probably surprise a few of us.
Membrey was another I would have like to get a go, just not at St Kilda.

I think it depends how we rated him in his draft year.

Would also be the lost first round pick from that year if he turned into a good player.

I want to get him so i can laugh at Richmond’s ■■■■ development team when he’s becomes a good player with us.

Please say it’s not Connors!

Have known Ben since he was as a young fella. He grew up playing predominately as a key position forward that dominated the air while also pushing up the ground at times to provide some run, however he never grew to be an AFL key forward size and became more of a flanker. Has always had tremendous skills by foot and is a lovely mark of the ball however he isn’t particularly quick off the mark nor does he have a big engine to cover the ground yet. He’s had plenty of setbacks along the way dating back to his draft year including Glandular fever most recently, obviously not ideal when his goal was to get fitter aerobically. Having grown up playing at the same club as Hurls and the Langford he’s pretty friendly with both those boys.
As a player he’s basically the anti Ambrose. Very natural sporting talent but has been held back by his body.
I think he would’ve come on a lot better had he been drafted to another club and I’d say that’s where the frustration may be coming from in the Lennon camp.