Ben Rutten - Back to the grindstone (Part 1)

as chief sads cracker nino, lets not throw stones hey?

EXCLUSIVE: Matthew Lloyd urges Essendon to emulate Geelong’s sustained on-field success

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd has heaped praise on Geelong’s off-season acquisitions, pleading for his old club to emulate the Cats’ on-field successes.

Geelong is one of the big favourites to take out this year’s premiership after adding Jeremy Cameron, Shaun Higgins and Isaac Smith to its experienced core.

MORE: Cameron takes advantage of inaccurate Dons

While some criticised the amount of assets they sent the GWS Giants for Cameron, Lloyd praised Geelong for its all-in approach.

“Some will say it was wrong, I love it,” he told Wide World of Sports.

"I would love to be a Geelong supporter, I’d be that excited going into this year with the players they’ve brought in.

"They always give you a chance and they always have you believing they can win a premiership.

“I’d love that at the club I support, the Bombers, because you haven’t had that hope like Geelong currently have.”

Geelong coach Chris Scott has been heavily criticised for his side’s inability to win finals since winning a premiership in his first season back in 2011, but Lloyd defended the team’s post-season record.

“If it wasn’t for Richmond I reckon they win the last couple of premierships,” he said.

"They had Richmond on toast in one prelim (2019) and they lose and then they had them on the ropes in another game (2020 grand final).

"They haven’t done a lot wrong, they’ve just fallen short against the best team in the competition.

“Yes, the pressure is on, but pressure is a good thing because people expect them to be in the mix again this year.”

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

Like our Facebook page

Get our free mail news updates

…No

1 Like

champion data was that kid at school that wiped ■■■■ all over the cubicle walls.

Look at the way the players look at Sheeds :heart:

10 Likes

Geelong should have gone all out for Preuss imo, he’s the one thing they are really lacking.

1 Like

Finish your jumper presentation and …

21 Likes

The gallery wasn’t working so the club responded to my query.

This link should have all the pics

8 Likes

Yet there were Geelong supporters claiming it was heartbreaking supporting them after the loss to Port Adelaide in the finals last year. Give me a ■■■■■■■ break

1 Like

Can you even imagine the excitement? Having your jumper presented to you by club legends such as ben McNiece, Marc Bullen and Ricky Dyson? Not to mention hearing inspirational stories of loyalty and determination from McFlee

3 Likes

They can’t all be superstars - as Rutten said - sometimes it’s those that play their role that have the impact :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Jobe be like, “they invited you”

19 Likes

I’m just loving all of this but…
Can you also ask them to put Nick Bryan’s and Cain McBride’s heads back in the photo.

1 Like

loving Ben McNeice getting the call up

2 Likes

DALLAS

3 Likes

Used to like the band. Actually beat the band on twitter to that name somehow :joy::woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Sussing out your page now and I notice you and GENERAL JON have been exchanging tweets… :thinking:

1 Like

He couldn’t resist a pun about a crane…!

Kidding. Kidding. Most of my twitter is football arguments, royal arguments. Sprinkled with MAFS and Real Housewives.

Pretty horrific now that I think about it :joy:

Fantastic by the club.

If this was Rutten’s idea I think he’s on the right track.

My favorite bit was seeing Fletch masterfully handling two beers.

12 Likes

The whole thing made me want a beer

4 Likes

YIKES

3 Likes