Ben Rutten - sacked

Of the experienced coaches who have taken a team to a GF, he is the most appealing. I ‘m sure he would have learned from the end of season camp fiasco, and the infamous Power Rangers stance !

Wow. There you go. I hadn’t seen that.

Spot on.

Mate we aren’t getting anyone but will be losing a few in trade period.

Also won’t be getting a decent coach with experience.

wait wait wait wait wait, so youre saying mitch cleary LIED?

That is what I said.

I don’t see us improving at all next year.

1 Like

Players were behind him with their knives ready. Didn’t play hard enough for long enough or for him. Last year yes but something clearly changed in the pre-season/early into the season.

The media are the biggest hypocrites. Baying for his blood when we were 1-4 heading into ANZAC day now outpouring of sympathy ■■■■ off.

2 Likes

“Sunday’s board discussion at Melbourne Jet Base centred on whether Rutten deserved a longer stint.”

Melbourne Jet Base Chairman is Paul Little… the same Paul Little who appointed X and is still his mentor.

The same Little who continues to have a very strong influence over the club…after he bailed the club out over 40 mill of saga legal bills.

X not going anywhere.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the right way to go.

But it’s the way the board want us to go.

In a realistic sense, there’s a hell of a lot of natural improvement.
Look at last year’s B&F top 10:

1. Zach Merrett (420 votes)
  2. Darcy Parish (339)
  3. Will Snelling (315)
  4. Jordan Ridley (309)
  5. Jake Stringer (286)
  6. Jayden Laverde (278)
  7. Kyle Langford (253)
  8. Nick Hind (223)
  9. Dyson Heppell (218)
  10. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (214)

Who’s there again this year - Zerrett… and… ???
Maybe Lav or Hepp sneaks 10th, but they haven’t been good.
A lot of good players done absolutely SFA.

Yeah never picked that up once - just assumed cause it was never reported he’d lost the group it meant everything was peachy.

Didn’t think the relationship would be indifferent for a second.

I wouldnt be concerned with the camp stuff. You live and learn.

I like the fact he has spent the last couple of years entrenched in one of the best cultures in Sydney. Prior to Adelaide he was at the Eagles. Clubs who know how to contend, regularly.

5 Likes

This is a bloke that held a camp where his indigenous players were physically restrained by their team mates and shouted at about family trauma. Surely that’s a pass.

5 Likes

They play like this is also the case between the players.

The way you said that makes it sound that this only happened to the indigenous players. It happened to senior players, of whom some were indigenous.

Still not great, but not the same thing

Does Mitch Cleary still work for the AFL or is he exclusively just on Channel 7?

AFL site very unlikely to publish behind the scenes club details like that if there wasn’t a lot of supporting information. Twomey is a pretty good journalist and knows the Bombers inside out.

There is a lot of crap floating out there though, definitely.

Yep. Jenkins saying how difficult he found it. Gibbs too.

Meh. I don’t think so.

Maybe it might push someone over the line if they were weighing up whether to leave.

The rest will get over it pretty quickly - they’ll go on there holidays and withing a few weeks it’ll be “Ben who?”

Rumours of players going to Ruttens house don’t surprise me… but they do confirm what I suspected and posted about this morning.

Rutten had made the classic blunder of trying to align himself WITH the players (lower level employees) rather than helping them see that he was their biggest SUPPORTER but ultimately HE was there as a representative of management to drive results.

A coach should be loved by his players… but also feared… and respected… a good boss is the one that makes a really tough call that you really want to hate them for… but you can’t because you know that it was the right call. So even if you are angry… you have complete faith in them to be doing the right thing.

If our players truly loved this coach… we wouldn’t have seen the absolute garbage they have produced for 90% of this season. I disagree with our new president… it is not just about wins and losses… it is also about what those wins and losses look like. I can handle losing… we are a young team on a rebuild but we weren’t losing because of that… we were losing because we weren’t putting the required effort in and our tactics were wrong. big difference.

Rutten was absolutely not up to the job and if the players truly cared… the result would be different… potentially they are going around to try and calm their guilt at stealing a wage this year.

28 Likes

according to cal twomey for a lot its already ben who?

1 Like

You can’t forget the expletive laden rants.

3 Likes

Didn’t a few people comment last night that Rutten was crying in the rooms with Draper and Guelfi close by laughing and eating pizza?