Best Female Rock Singers

So the question is Rock chicks, but the thread takes in a wide range, so, full rock girls are bolded the rest are softer rock & faves from other genres

Kate Pierson, Julliette Lewis, Mellisa Auf Der maur, Grace Slick, Edie Brickell, Courtney Love, PJ Harvey Sharon Jones (& The Dap Kings), Jodi Phillis and Trish Young (Clouds),Kristin Hersh (Throwing Muses), Justine Frischmann (Elastica), Amanda Palmer (Dresden Dolls) Alice Cooper

Footnote: Pierson just released her 1st solo album. I’ve waited 20 years for that.

Produced by Australias renowned song writer & backward stander, Sia.

rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/kate-pierson-guitars-and-microphones-20150217

Got your Throwing Muses and Elastica the wrong way round.

Anyone said Kathleen Hanna? Add in Toni Halliday and Karen O.

Bombergirl reminded how much I loved Patti Smith way back when. I’ve still got the worn out vinyl to prove it.
My 3 favs, I think.
Land/Horses. Her masterpiece and I just found this version, with Gloria added on, and it’s ■■■■■■■ unreal. She’s 65!!!Some prick didn’t like this on UTube.

25th floor
https://www.yohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKqpaWUFHdo
Rock and Roll ■■■■■■ and she can still cook.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkwkzzuaJds

Quoted Post

Got your Throwing Muses and Elastica the wrong way round.

Anyone said Kathleen Hanna? Add in Toni Halliday and Karen O.

Did too … sorted :slight_smile:

Well seeing as Windy D has slipped off genre here's my contender for greatest ever live vocal performance. Anita O'Day totally flying (on life and a touch of herion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTW1nBg_TF8

No-one in that crowd is paying any attention at all. Look like they’re waiting for the main band to come on stage.

Quoted Post

Alice Cooper

LOL’d.

Tara Turunen and Floor Jansen

Although not an Evanescence fan, Amy’s voice is pretty amazing
More “metal” Alissa White Gluz of Arch Enemy is both hot and has great harsh vocals

1 Like

Nina Gordon and Louise Post from Veruca Salt.

The sweet harmonies of the girls of ALPINE.

Pat Benatar and Stevie Nicks

Quoted Post

Johnette Napolitano (Concrete Blonde - what a stage presence)

<p>Trish Young/Jodi Phillis (the lasses from the Clouds -  what a *mighty* band they were)

Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders - one of the best debut albums by anyone...ever)

Chrissie Amphlett (Divinyls - what an album "Desperate" is... RIP!)

Kate Bush (what a voice!)

Tori Amos (brilliant debut album... then disappeared into a never-ending soup of self-produced sameness)

Annalisse Morrow (The Numbers/Maybe Dolls - and she played the bass... drool...)

Alison Moyet (Yazoo - takes a special voice to make cold electronica seem somehow warm)

Nina Persson (Cardigans - a *lot* more powerful than people who only know "Lovefool" would expect)

Well said about The Clouds,one of my all time favourite bands.

And you’re right about Annilisse Morrow,she went alright too.

Bette Midler could belt out a rock tune.

Annie Lennox has an amazing voice, agree with most of the other ones nominated, some cracking female vocalists

The sweet swedish harmonies of the girls of First Aid Kit.

And of course, we already said Clouds, & a few times I just noticed … hope you all had the pleasure of seeing them reformed & in fine fettle at the Corner last year.

Great show, great crowd.

Quoted Post

And of course, we already said Clouds, & a few times I just noticed … hope you all had the pleasure of seeing them reformed & in fine fettle at the Corner last year.

Great show, great crowd.

Aaaarrrhhhh fark it, I missed that one, since I don’t pay much attention to the media anymore. Did see them though back in their halcyon days at the Shenton Park Hotel in Perth back in the late eighties/early nineties…what a band.

And kicking myself too for not going to see Veruca Salt at the Corner late last year too…■■■■!

Cherry Bar
February 18 at 1:01pm ·

Amphlett Lane in Melbourne just officially opened.

Little Pattie and Charlie Drayton gave awesome speeches.

We miss you Chrissy!

It’s a fine line between pleasure and pain.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Great show, great crowd.

Aaaarrrhhhh fark it, I missed that one, since I don’t pay much attention to the media anymore. Did see them though back in their halcyon days at the Shenton Park Hotel in Perth back in the late eighties/early nineties…what a band.

And kicking myself too for not going to see Veruca Salt at the Corner late last year too…■■■■!

Could get another chance in the not to distant future. Seems they were really surprised at the turnouts & may do it all again soon.

Lush - Miki Berenyi and Emma Anderson

Juanita Stein of Waikiki from back around the early noughties. I think that she may have a new band now or has gone solo now.

Amy Findlay of Stonefield, her Like a Version of Steppenwolf’s Magic Carpet Ride is a ripper.

Bret Anderson of The Donnas.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Great show, great crowd.

Could get another chance in the not to distant future. Seems they were really surprised at the turnouts & may do it all again soon.

Brilliant.

Thanks for the heads up, make sure not to miss it this time around.

Quoted Post

Jenna McDougall

This.

Jenna McDougall is simply perfect.

Actually…

Jenna McDougall and Hayley Williams are on a par for me. Clearly number one.