Best Female Rock Singers

Hard to believe, no one has mentioned a few of the greats.

1. Dusty Springfield. The epitome of a female white souls singer.
  2. Judith Durham. Not really a rock singer and l was never a fan of the material, but a superb vocalist.
  3. Sandy Denny. Anyone who can match it with Robert Plant on a Zed Leppelin track, has got my respect.

Back later with more.

Quoted Post

Hard to believe, no one has mentioned a few of the greats. 1. Dusty Springfield. The epitome of a female white souls singer. 2. Judith Durham. Not really a rock singer and l was never a fan of the material, but a superb vocalist. 3. Sandy Denny. Anyone who can match it with Robert Plant on a Zed Leppelin track, has got my respect.

Back later with more.

Maybe cause its a rock thread?

Quoted Post

Hard to believe, no one has mentioned a few of the greats. 1. Dusty Springfield. The epitome of a female white souls singer. 2. Judith Durham. Not really a rock singer and l was never a fan of the material, but a superb vocalist. 3. Sandy Denny. Anyone who can match it with Robert Plant on a Zed Leppelin track, has got my respect.

Back later with more.

Colleen Hewitt

Suzi Q?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Back later with more.

Surely you have heard that hard rocking song ‘Puff the Magic Dragon’

My fave track by Bonnie Raitt by far, with fantastic backing vocals as well.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Back later with more.

Surely you have heard that hard rocking song ‘Puff the Magic Dragon’

gave me whiplash.

Anyone mention Marianne Faithful yet? Broken english still stack up pretty well. Also the Ballad of Lucy Jordan.
Nicolette Larson, for the single 'Lotta Love."
Jennifer Warnes, worth including here, if only for her duet with Joe Cocker on “Up where We Belong.” Superb.

So many great female voices outside of rock. I’m a massive fan of Carole King.

But the title says rock.

Ann Wilson, then daylight. This was/is one chick who really did match it with Plant on the live stage quite a few times.
Amazing range,power, she had it all in my book.

Theres a pretty cool pic of Plant sitting with a Wilson sister on each knee at Knebworth in '79. He’s looking pretty happy with himself. I cant seem to find it any more, so use your imagination.

Quoted Post

Prince.

Carlotta.

Kim Gordon

Neneh Cherry is currently on RAGE choosing some kickass music videos, maaan, she has great taste in music…Eels, Beck, NWA and on and on it goes…Christ…is there no end to her epicness?

• Faints *

Quoted Post

Kim Gordon

Any day of the week!!

Debra Conway.

Carrie Akre.

Juanita Stein of Waikiki from back around the early noughties. I think that she may have a new band now or has gone solo now.
Have to say - and I know it was at a festival and everyone sounds ■■■■ at festivals - but honestly, one of the worst live performances I've ever seen. Limp, completely missing the band's timing, and second guessing herself about every second line. Plus - sounded ■■■■, but so does almost everyone.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Kim Gordon

Any day of the week!!

She has an autobiography out and it is a good read. Recommended.

Not afraid to say that this particular man-hater can go ■■■■ herself.
I’d sooner rave about Gary Glitter.
His music is far better anyway.

Beth Gibbons

In case anyone hasn’t mentioned her before, but a fine vocalist is Rosanne Cash, Johnny’s daughter. Exists in that grey area between country and rock, crosses over that blurry line from track to track.

Morcheeba? Do they qualify? Female vocalist 95 % of the time.

Quoted Post

In case anyone hasn't mentioned her before, but a fine vocalist is Rosanne Cash, Johnny's daughter. Exists in that grey area between country and rock, crosses over that blurry line from track to track.

Morcheeba? Do they qualify? Female vocalist 95 % of the time.

Saw Morcheeba live in Metropolis Perth back in the day. Outstanding.