Blitz Probe Cycling

I GOT A BIKE ON GUMTREE FOR $35. I WENT FOR MY FIRST RIDE THE OTHER WEEK, 21 KLM. NOT BAD EH?

no lycra

Cool. What is it?

Just some mountain bike thing, nothing special. The helmet and water bottle cost more than the bike. I love it. Im going to smash this bike thing

After I realize how bad this intro level second hand cheap bike I bought is, what is a better entry level bike and price to pay for one? Seems like you can find some good bargains out there for bikes on gumtree ect. Trouble is knowing a good from bad brand

After I realize how bad this intro level second hand cheap bike I bought is, what is a better entry level bike and price to pay for one? Seems like you can find some good bargains out there for bikes on gumtree ect. Trouble is knowing a good from bad brand

Depends how much you plan on doing with it. Even on the casual end though there’s a world of difference between Kmart bikes and Giant/Specialized. I’ve replaced my cheap kids bikes with second hand name brand bikes and they’re order of magnitude better.

Buying a bike from a bike shop (or a brand that bike shops stock) is a step in the right direction.

I got a nice surprise today

…and how it was 8 weeks ago

The addict returns … that’s great. How does it feel?

Lots of different types of bikes out there, all good for some things, not so good for others. You need to say what type of riding you expect to do, for example …

• type of road surfaces
  • flat or hills,
  • how far and fast do you want to ride
  • in traffic or on bike trails
  • getting fit or commuting or just getting around?

Lots of different types of bikes out there, all good for some things, not so good for others. You need to say what type of riding you expect to do, for example …

• type of road surfaces
  • flat or hills,

I dont see myself Tour de francing, I do a bit of running normally and Im no spring chicken. The running is great, but I get the odd leg injury, so I think I would only cycle for fitness and enjoyment. I used exercise bike when I cant run. My first 2 rides have been 21 and 30 k. Running feels much harder in QLD temperature even in the early morning, so I think I need to ride for around 2 hours to get something from it at the moment. Early days though. Im still working it all out, but love it so far. Then again I have about 40K + of coastline here to ride around.

• type of road surfaces
  • flat or hills,

I dont see myself Tour de francing, I do a bit of running normally and Im no spring chicken. The running is great, but I get the odd leg injury, so I think I would only cycle for fitness and enjoyment. I used exercise bike when I cant run. My first 2 rides have been 21 and 30 k. Running feels much harder in QLD temperature even in the early morning, so I think I need to ride for around 2 hours to get something from it at the moment. Early days though. Im still working it all out, but love it so far. Then again I have about 40K + of coastline here to ride around.

So did you buy a roadie or a commuter bike?

Victorians: Who’s up for this on Christmas eve eve?

The addict returns .. that's great. How does it feel?

Fully farkin’ sick! And let me just say, DuraAce > SRAM Red.

Victorians: Who's up for this on Christmas eve eve?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6844373

Nice. Sadly I’m away. :confused:

The addict returns .. that's great. How does it feel?

Fully farkin’ sick! And let me just say, DuraAce > SRAM Red.

Shimando Tiagra > SRAM red :wink:

Have you ever ridden Archeron way? I’m thinking of just doing the Giro Della Donna ride but I’m a bit worried about 13km of gravel. I ride 25mm tyres but the clearance between my back wheel and the frame is only a few mm … so even if it’s tightly packed gravel I can’t risk getting something in there.

Not me. My heart rate went into the red just looking at that.

• type of road surfaces
  • flat or hills,

OK, I suggest getting a used steel road bike - you should be able to get something rideable for less than $200. A man on a road bike is a more energy efficient way of moving around than any other animal - so it should be better in heat than running. Provisos are that:

• you don’t have to climb lots of hills (steel is heavy),
  • or ride off-road (then you need wider tyres and a bike frame type to take wide tyres),
  • and the bike has to be right size for you and set up right (otherwise your body will get sore and you wont enjoy it after a while).

Where abouts are you in Qld? … I might be able to suggest someone who can give you some assistance.
Are you handy at tinkering and don’t mind doing your own maintenance? … if not you might be better off buying a new cheap basic bike and getting the local bike shop to maintain it.

Alloy’s cheap too. My first roadie was $600, a Giant Defy. Gave me a taste good enough to know I was in.

• type of road surfaces
  • flat or hills,

I'm just a mug rider but FWIW I got a Scott S60 speedster in 2009 with the $900 Rudd gave me but they're now a lot cheaper on Ebay etc. It was my first and probably last new bike. It's very much an entry level roadie but as someone whose rides are basically alternatives to weekly workouts I noticed a huge difference from the crap steel bike I'd used up until then, especially up hills. Wouldn't be any good on dirt but it's kept me going at around 45 ks average per week and its hollow aluminium frame is a lot lighter than the steel options. I need to get the gears looked at soon because it's starting to hiccup a bit too much but the frame's good as. Like you I'm getting on but if I ran I'd be lame in a week. Never had a problem with the bike though, even when the feet, hips and knees play up, except when I've fallen off, which has only ever happened when I've been nearly stationary and got my feet stuck. That hurts, mostly my pride. Personally I wouldn't recommend forking out big dollars early on because I've known too many people with decent bikes gathering dust in garages.

• type of road surfaces
  • flat or hills,

So did you buy a roadie or a commuter bike?

Mountain bike , (not sure what category that is) I realize it isn’t really a good one, but it looks fairly new, and for vrtually free, it gets me out there and started

Have you ever ridden Archeron way? I’m thinking of just doing the Giro Della Donna ride but I’m a bit worried about 13km of gravel. I ride 25mm tyres but the clearance between my back wheel and the frame is only a few mm … so even if it’s tightly packed gravel I can’t risk getting something in there.

The gravel is ok, relatively fine stones. There is a chance of picking up a stone or two though. The domane has more clearance (I’ll put 28mm jobs for bigger gravel grinds).
So ultimately, there’s a little risk if you have fine clearances.

I got a nice surprise today

Happy with the work?
Picked up mine a few weeks ago.