Bomba Thompson

If Bomba’s appointment got rid of Frawley and Wallace i guess it wasn’t a total failure.

6 Likes

He was appointed as CEO of AFLCA, a position which he admitted he was not qualified to perform, then came out to say that the burden of handling the saga brought him to a breakdown. And I thought the AFLCA did not play any part in the saga! Certainly there were no interviews with him at the time.
Not to say that there should not be compassion for his breakdown, but there was a lot of spin in the media reporting.

1 Like

And for those who don’t think Paul Chapman is a tool, read the article on Bomba in today’s Geelong Advertiser.

You don’t think it’s a problem if the club suspected he was using illicit drugs and they hired him anyway?

That standard could rule out a few footballers as well as staff in the clubs and AFL.

There is a procedure in place to deal with recalcitrant players but there doesn’t seem to be any system when it comes to officials.

Maybe there should be.

Suspicion is not fact.

Bomba was coaching Geelong, so do you think if they suspected him of using illegal drugs that they should have sacked him ?

1 Like

Can you pls post article

Maybe. If it was having a demonstrable impact on his performance, then yes.

If I become aware that drug use is negatively impacting on my business, I act. And I have done with key personnel. It’s not a good conversation to have because no one wins if you ignore it.

Sorry can’t do, but you can google it ( not behind paywall). It was reported also in other news outlets.

So, a lot of ifs then.

For sure. But what has become evident in the commentary about Thompson is that his outside activities were seemingly well known for a long time. Essendon acted eventually but maybe if things had happened earlier, Thompson may not be in the position he is in today.

More ifs.

And Essendon didn’t act, Bomba quit by refusing to accept the job offered.

And there is zero mention of how Bomba was behaving when he was assistant to Hird at Essendon, the Essendon references appear to relate to his time as stand-in coach.
There are illicit substance users who function well in the workplace. I doubt that non-use would be a job criterion.

We don’t know for sure that neither Essendon or Geelong didn’t try to help him. There are reports that Essendon staged an intervention and that Bomba repeatedly denied that he was on drugs. At the end of the day it was Thompson’s responsibility. As Hird said in the podcast, you can only help someone who tries to help himself.

Maybe the job offered to Thompson was structured so he wouldn’t accept it. You know, two birds.

This Thai girlfriend… Surely this isn’t a case of the Dog Day Afternoons?

Looks NQR to me…

From the look of some of those photos, I’d be questioning the girlfriend part if I was bomber.

5 Likes

‘friend’ then…