Bomba Thompson

Best gameday coach. Period.

2 Likes

I presume Bomber will accept bitcoins

Why does it say ā€œBombaā€ in the thread title?

Because that was what the nickname was, not Bomber. Something to do with the Jungle Boy?

1 Like

220px-Bomba_the_Jungle_Boy_(Lobby_Card)_1949

I thought his ā€œoriginalā€ nickname was Bomba, but when he came to Essendon it morphed into Bomber, for obvious reasons.

2 Likes

ā€œBomba (The Jungle Boy)ā€ was the nickname of Ken Sheldon, who played for Farkcarlton then played and coached at St Kilda. I think it was a reference to his head of woolly hair.

I thought that Mark Thompson was always known as ā€œBomberā€ and only ever knew him by that sobriquet. Stand to be corrected, however.

Nope, read his book, which is a very good read, and he explains why he was called Bomba

7 Likes

A Geelong geurnsey signed by the Great D Fletcher would be an amazing piece of memorabilia.

12 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, BF. What was the reason behind that nickname?

Because as a kid he looked like Bomba the Jungle Boy

1 Like

Not an invitation to read too much into it, but itā€™s Interesting that itā€™s a charity event for Bridge of Hope. While I donā€™t think itā€™s their main function, BoH run an innocence project with RMIT where they investigate claims of wrongful conviction.

4 Likes

Bomber going to talk about his frozen water business haha

Similar event at the Highway in Adelaide a few years back,

M Thompson is lucky he wasnā€™t gaoled.

You donā€™t really think Bomber was dealing drugs do you??? Why would he be, he has got plenty of dough. If guilty of anything, he is guilty by associationā€¦so terrible judgement on a ā€œfriendā€!!!

And Bomber was in a bad place thanks to the ASADA / MSM stitch upā€¦Hirdy gets plenty of sympathy for trying to kill himself, why doesnā€™t Bomber; Bomber was basically doing the same thing, just on a different path and a bit slower. Thank God he was arrested and now appears to be back on the right track, as is Hirdy :slight_smile:

Goalā€¦no way would that be of any benefit to society or protect society, Bomber was harming himself not others.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what his intent was but on what was revealed in court, heā€™s lucky he wasnā€™t gaoled.

2 Likes

He got Geelong two three premierships. No way he was going to gaol.

3 Likes

Yep, but if your hiring a QC(with his resources I assume he did) you get a lot better legal arguments to keep you outta the clink.

Anyone who think Bomber was a clean skin who happened to just take in a crooked neighbour is a bit naĆÆve I reckon. But he probably was struggling terribly and Iā€™m certainly glad he didnā€™t end up in the big house.

6 Likes

Agreed. Amazing effort to take the 2014 side where he did.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s never stopped people before.

3 Likes