Boxing Thread

Did you rate the Prince @Diggers

Sure did @Allblack . He had exceptional balance that combined with ultra fast hands made him very difficult to handle. He should have been one of the all time greats but as his commitment levels dropped around 1998, so did his output. His showmanship was second to none. C McGregor is his closest modern contemporary but the Prince casts shade on him and everyone else. He was at his best early on in bouts and you can see towards the latter part of his career that his aversion to training meant that he was staying in bouts longer and taking punishment. Of the few criticisms that could be leveled at him, not having the best jaw and navigating past the big American names in his division costs his legacy but overall he was a star. Nowadays heā€™s more of a supernova as he looks like heā€™s eaten himself twice.

1 Like

A rumour went around that Zab Judah koā€™d F Mayweather whilst sparring yesterday.

Judahā€™s long time trainer was asked about it and said Judah wasnā€™t in the same city as F Mayweather yesterday and the only time they have ever sparred was in the lead-up to the Mayweather Pacquiao bout in 2015.

what did you make of the Malignaggi knock down @Diggers, I know he claims he was pulled down but there was a pretty good shot leading up to it. Paulie looked out of shape as well but stillā€¦

Itā€™s hard to know.

Anything can happen in a sparring session but you usually find that they donā€™t go too hard at it at this stage of their preparations because the promoters donā€™t want any injuries that may cause a delay to the bout. Youā€™d have to see tape of the whole session to know for sure but McGreggor is capable of landing some.

The proper event is happening 3x weeks later. Alvarez V Golovkin has the potential to be the fight of the decade. Both of them are at their peak and both have a history of finishing things early. Caneloā€™s only loss came against F Mayweather in 2013 but he is a much better fighter today and would be favourite were he and Mayweather to have a re-match. GGG is just unreal. Canā€™t wait.

1 Like

#TeamGGG

Heā€™ll punch through Alvarezā€™ defences by round 4. Serious damage will be inflicted until he falls. Kell Brook style damage.

I hope GGG will win. Iā€™m pretty biasedā€”I love the guy :slight_smile:

But, the closer we get to the fight, the more nervous I get. Iā€™ve been very confident of a GGG win in all of his previous fights. But, Canelo really is very good. And given that both can finish fights early, whoever makes the first mistake will probably not get a chance to make another one.

Whatever happensā€”it will NOT be boring.

Not sure how old you are but this for me is the most anticipated middleweight bout since Hagler V Hearns.

Mayweather V McGregor is a curiosity but Alvarez V Golovkin is for the purists. Can hardly wait.

Iā€™m 47 and a long-time Hitman fan :slight_smile: Hagler-Hearns was the best fight Iā€™ve ever seen. I doubt Canelo-GGG will be able to put on a performance as epic as H-H.

But, you have certainly got me excited for the upcoming fight!

I loved Marvelous Marvin. Iā€™m convinced he beat Leonard in '87.

Golovkinā€™s remorselessness is reminiscent of Hagler. He just keeps coming at you with sustained power and clinical precision. He punches through opponents with ease and barely flinches on the rare occasion he is on the receiving end. They could fight on the MCG and Alvarez wouldnā€™t find any room. He doesnā€™t have any weaknesses.

1 Like

Conor McGregor will be your new boxing god and you will like it.

1 Like

Heā€™s got a puncherā€™s chance, thatā€™s for sure.

1 Like

This fight is a money grubbing joke,ā€¦ that press conference thing today was a complete orchestrated farce.

As transparent as the WWF etc rubbish,. and it will be just as scripted.

Itā€™s incredible how sucked in supposedly sentient beings can be.

You bet itā€™s for money. And whatā€™s wrong with that? Itā€™s the biggest sporting event in the world this year bar none. Sure there is plenty of showbiz. Itā€™s what people want. As for being scripted, everything from the first time F Mayweather spoke to C McGregor about staging this bout to the moment Michael Buffer says" LETā€™S GET READY TO RUUUUUUMBLE!" has been scripted but when the bell rings for round 1 it will be for real.

3 Likes

You can be your left nut this will be streamed on multiple FB pages

I would like to believe that,ā€¦ I really would.

But I donā€™t, ā€¦ not for a second.

Probably.

Fair enough. Only those involved would really know for sure but I donā€™t believe itā€™s anything other that a genuine blue.