Bruce McAvaney hangs up the mic

Clinton Grybas was the best caller in the business. RIP

6 Likes

Absolutely.

He did slow down a little.

He was still better than almost anyone else doing it.

Thanks mate, I love you too

1 Like

‘Smokin Joe a knockout’ is my favourite Bruce moment.

3 Likes

‘SENSATIONAL’!

1 Like

That’s fantastic, ISNT IT?

Bruce in the 90’s up until the end of 2001 was brilliant. Some of his calls made some games that much more ‘special’. After seven regained the rights in 2007 he started to drop off but still had his moments. Regardless, a fantastic career and will certainly be missed in the box for the character he was.

Who gives a ■■■■, I turn all commentary off and commentate myself.

1 Like

Sounds like a certain football club…

3 Likes

Was a magnificent commentator. Who was a shadow of himself once channel 7 got back the TV rights. As bad as he became in the last few years, he is still miles better than that flog Brayshaw.

BT and Brayshaw together will be absolute agony

2 Likes

Brayshaw on radio is good, Taylor on the other hand is pure sticking pins in the eyes stuff.

Long overdue, was never a fan, but he’s been on a sharp decline for over a decade now. You listen to his commentary from the 90s or early 00s compared to recently, it’s like a different person. He went full channel 9 Cricket commentary where it became more about him screaming for relevance rather than calling to service the game. However, Brayshaw/BT combo is no improvement and I will be muting friday nights as per usual.

1 Like

I thought he was great. Sorry to see him retire.

BT is the worst AFL commentator ever, hands down.

Dude doesn’t even like football or have any passion for it. You can tell when people are faking it. He’s faking it.

Plus he’s a stone cold idiot and nasty human being.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. He embodies just about every characteristic I despise in a person let alone commentator. Doesn’t service the game whatsoever.

1 Like

Agree, never liked Taylor. Always comes across as a smug ■■■■■■■.

1 Like

I remember one anecdote I read about him - which is that he has four kids and he has never once changed a nappy in his life.

And he was telling this story like it was something to be proud of.

Probably tells you everything you need to know about the bloke.

He also had a run in with my sister in law when she used to work for the ABC - held a door open for her in the lobby for a few seconds, then when she was about to go through the door he let it go right in her face, then walked off laughing. This was because he made a pass at her a few minutes earlier (she was an ABC producer) and she wasn’t interested.

Quality human.

Yikes, that’s really ordinary.

I know, it’s like cartoon villain stuff. This was probably about 10-12 years ago, before he was on TV.

His early days on 9 (2002) wasn’t too bad. Just called the game and didn’t spin rubbish. Once he made the move over to MMM the arrogance really flowed through. Has a bit of FIGJAM about himself.