Burning Jealousy - 11th in 2018 to flag in 2019

They lost 5 games by less than 3 goals, coincidentally the same as we lost this year by that margin.

So you’d be sooking about sooks who sook about sooks.
I used to love doctor Seuss

If @Sameolds2010 sooks about the sook who is sooking about sooking whilst soaking in a souk…ahhh fark this I’m out.

3 Likes

Have a sook

1 Like

My point is that Richmond and Bulldogs didnt have a midfield stacked with legit elite talent like previous grand final winners.

The distinction between inside and outside mids is largely semantic anyway. Some players are just inside (JPK), some players are just outside (Isaac Smith) but the majority can do both.

Don’t worry about recruiting good outside mids or good inside mids, just recruit good mids full stop.

6 Likes

What rankles more than anything is that Collingwood has been up, tanked, rebuilt, been up again, been crap, rebuilt and gone up again in the last 18 years. Meanwhile we’ve gone from being up to mediocre to terrible to mediocre to slightly better than average to terrible to mediocre. Hopefully we’re on the up but the last two decades leaves me somewhat jaded and cynical about our prospects. And that is coming from someone who is an optimist. Eagles have gone up down up, so have the dogs. Dees after being in the wilderness for a decade have climbed back up again.

11 Likes

I am as much ■■■■■■ off that West Coast are back into a grand final since their last one 3 years ago before we’ve even won a final.

They have probably got the second best coaching group in the league. Consider that they made it to the GF in 2015 when they literally only had Sheppard as their key tall back and played a full ground defensive ‘web’.
Also, after their crappy form through the year and making up the numbers in finals last season, they looked like they’d fall after retiring Butler, Mitchell, Petrie and Priddis. They also dumped Wellingham and Josh Hill. All this players had been important to their team since the 2015 GF.
Who did they draft last year to get this improvement? Liam Ryan is the only guy who has improved their forwardline setup.
Who did they trade or sign as a free agent to get this level of improvement? Absolutely no one.

On top of all that, they make the grand final without Nic Nat and without Gaff. If we lost players this important, we’d crumble. They even lost Kennedy and Darling for important patches through the season and still did well enough to put them in a strong position come finals. That’s the kind of depth we need.

They have done an amazing job of rearranging players into roles on the fly and getting the best out of this group.
I hope our coaching group take note.

I don’t think we’re too far away from competing for a top 4 spot, but that is only if we either develop our own depth or trade for better depth to cover the inevitable injuries or we have a dream run of injuries.
Unfortunately, wasted senior spots on players like Jerrett, Long, Leuenberger, etc have set us back a bit.

11 Likes

I was 5 in 85, so pretty much my formative years were those of following a successful and dominant team. At an age when sport and winning is everything as childish as it sounds, it felt you had gravity, you could walk with your chest out and the proverbial chip on your shoulder. It felt good.

Somewhere we lost that edge and year after year of mediocrity you find yourself justifying our performance. I often find myself thinking that the hunger isn’t there because the pride of wearing Red and Black isn’t there. It’s a job, show up, get paid, go home to a beautiful home/girlfriend/wife.

We hurt more than them, these posts and these forums go a long way to support that notion. If our channeled frustration and anger in any way led to on field success, we would have beyond the coveted 17th flag.

The kid in me would make it part of every training session to walk past flag 16 and sell the vision of flag 17, 18 and on and on. OF being a part of THE most successful club. The Essendon Bombers.

2 Likes

Id love to know where we are ranked if you took the contested stats AFTER the Carlton game and extrapolated them out to each round to find an average.

If you c.b.f.

Then it would show you where we would stand if we started the year that way.

Afterall,thats what we need to do.

It’s kind of CB’S point though.
We’ve been good enough to produce results for a few months or for half a season.
But we’ve been unable to sustain that level any better than half of the competition across a full season.

3 Likes

We haven’t won a final in over a decade. We’ve had good patches but never a solid season. While the post round 8 form allows for optimism the reality of the past decade has the pessimist in me saying “I’ll believe it when I see it”.
The Pies were nowhere near GF material last year while we’ve gone from making up the numbers in the final eight to not even in finals contention.

Thread title should be Burning Envy

1 Like

Ive spent the evening watching youtube clips of Essendon winning finals, and its almost surreal seeing an red sash on the MCG winning finals, I almost cant relate to anymore.

10 Likes

I’m doing the exact same thing!

1 Like

Or Burning Man. Turn it into a desert rave. Doof, doof!!!

1 Like

Hang tough old man.

At least our flag wins are in colour, unlike Melbourne and St Kilda fans.

4 Likes

Do you still watch old clips of live jasmine too?

5 Likes

More of a party poker fan

4 Likes