Celebrity Deaths 2017

What are you talking about??

K Sheedy was keen on H Beitsel.

Just read about it. Pretty low act there by Harry. I enjoyed his commentary and contribution to footy back in the day but that event slipped past me.

For the youngins out there

Harry Beitzel was probably the BT of the day in terms of VFL commentators

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-14/hall-of-fame-member-harry-beitzel-passes-away

But was also one sleazy business character who went to jail for 18 months after ripping off $2 mill from a group of pensioners who won the Lotto (Harry was the lottery PR guy at the time)

In 1994, Beitzel, then the public face of ‘Soccer Pools’ was sentenced to 18 months jail after being found guilty of defrauding two elderly couples of $1.85 million dollars. Beitzel befriended the couples and siphoned the winnings to his own company.

The son of one of the couples told ABC Radio this morning “Beitzel has the blood of my parents on his hands, what should’ve been a life changing experience for them for the better turned out to be the beginning of the end for them. The stress of the case caused a heart attack in my father and his sudden death was followed by my mother just 6 weeks later. Beitzel should be rotting in hell what he did to my family, he deserves shame not fame.”

The AFL didn’t care and made him a Hall of Fame member 10 years later anyway

1 Like

The AFL is very forgiving

2 Likes

Except to Jobe and Jimmy

I hate this thread.

Jerry Lewis.

Must have seen repeats of every Martin + Lewis movie at least twice as a kid.

The Nutty Professor is my favourite of those but his straight role in The King of Comedy was his best of all.

2 Likes

I hate this thread

One of the greatest comedians of all time, a true genius.

Ps if you hate this thread then don’t come into it, simples.

I hate it because every new entry brings shock and sadness… not because I think it’s a bad thread. It’s also like a car crash, hard to drive by without looking.

1 Like

I see it differently. Death is a part of life and the best way to approach it is to celebrate and remember the lives that have had some impact on your own and others. It doesn’t remove the sadness of their passing but it does help to ease it and bring a smile. A lot of people hold celebrations now instead of wakes, a more positive experience.

1 Like

Sadness and fear of the unknown because we don’t know where we’re going.

I guess that’s the difference for me.

1 Like

Rock-a-bye -Baby is my favourite

RIP Jerry Lewis

l remember going to see Pardners, at the old Highett picture theatre, back when every suburb had it’s own cinema. l was about 5 or perhaps 6 at the time, l loved it. l watched it again on Youtube a couple of months ago, it is still good. So l watched a couple more Lewis & Martin efforts.

My fave Lewis picture is one where he has a supporting role to Oliver Platt who plays his son, an unfunny comedian, in search of material and himself in “Funnybones.”

Jim Carey based much of his comedy on the physical slapstick of Lewis. It wasn’t just the facial expressions either, he could move well also, and his dance steps were nothing short of sensational.

1 Like

Couldn’t stand Jerry Lewis.

5 Likes

Yep, and I detest Jim Carrey too. Stupid voices and facial expressions do not make great comedy for mine…
To give Jerry Lewis his dues, he was very good in King of Comedy (playing against type).

Drew Morphett has passed away. Loved his jovial way and even his work on foxtel of late had been nice… Vale

2 Likes

Quite sad, really. 69 is too young. And thinking of the situation for his wife, it must have been extremely distressing.

Make sure your loved one’s know they are, everyone.

3 Likes