Celebrity Deaths 2019

Brilliant author. Gallipoli and The Great War are without doubt two of the very best books about Australian involvement in the First World War.

3 Likes

Agreed. I’ve read both multiple times.

He made hard slog through intimate detail incredibly interesting. That’s a skill.

1 Like

RIP D ick Dale, surf-rock guitarist… most well-known for this (and unfortunately by young 'uns more through being sampled by the appalling Blackeyed Peas…)

2 Likes

He is the reason we had surf music, brilliant guitarist.

2 Likes

A country movie singer has died after a gun in his pocket went off while he was on set shooting a music video. Because you need to be armed when you’re on set.

1 Like

It’s a shame he’s gone because that would make an awesome country song.

and obviously he did

1 Like

Sarge Slaughter is still alive and kicking , too.

1 Like

+1.

My dad currently has my copy of Gallipoli, but both books occupy a prominent position on my shelves.

2 Likes

Very nice.

I’m also a fan of Fitzsimmons, especially Tobruk on the right there. Very, very different style, more of a “fill in the historical gaps”, but still based on very thorough research.

Yep, Fitzsimmons is quite different. Even Kokoda is a different read to Brunes “Ba.stard” , which I actually read quite close to each other. Both recommended reads.

Offtopic, Beevors “Stalingrad” and “Berlin” are very good (though keeping track of all the Soviet units and identities is a challenge) but his “Spanish Civil War” I found tough going stylistically.

Paul Preston is the man for all things Franco and Spanish Civil War, although I do have Beevor’s book.

1 Like

I should dig up a copy. My retention of Spanish Civil doesn’t extend much further than Johns’ Biggles In Spain, lol, despite Beevor’s best efforts.

There’s a really good mini-series made by Granada TV after Franco’s death. I think it’s on Youtube. Called The Spanish Civil War.

You realise there were very few good guys in that war. Even the Republicans, who were the anti-Franco lot, had some very bad friends.

Preston had a lot of books on the subject. I bought two.

Granada TV, not the one of Alhambra fame in Andalusia.

Try Orwell’s Homage to Catalonia, for a more detailed analysis, Hugh Thomas’ book. And, if you want romance, For Whom the Bell Tolls.

1 Like

Indeed.

It painted a picture, for sure.

At the risk of booking up this death thread:

3 Likes

Oi ! It appears you’ve stolen part of my “library” !!

2 Likes

I just posted his Pipeline duet with Stevie Ray Vaughan in the music you have been listening to thread last week. l have been listening to Pipeline for about 60 years, it still sounds good and fresh.

A digression, my favourite title of C & W song, “If you can’t live without me, why aren’t you dead yet?” Great title, but have never heard the song.

2 Likes