Celebrity Deaths 2020

The only disappointing thing about that was that Trotsky missed out on the big gig to Stalin.

2 Likes

RIP Terry Jones
One of the prime movers behind tv’s arguably greatest sketch comedy series in Monty Pythons Flying Circus.
The bright shining stars of my youth are slowly fading away- and it’s a sad time when only memories remain.

13 Likes

Very sad. I was just watching " One Down, Five to Go " the other night & wondering how long it would be til the next went. :slightly_frowning_face:

Vale Mr Jones. You’ve left an indelible mark on the World, and will never be forgotten.

3 Likes

Man, 2020 is already brutal.

1 Like

Very sad news to wake up to

1 Like

Memorable quotes from Terry Jones ;

“We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose.”

“Now, you listen here! He’s not the Messiah. He’s a very naughty boy!”

“Better get a bucket, I’m going to throw up.” ( playing an obese patron )

RIP Terry

9 Likes

Beautiful tribute from Michael Palin…

“He was kind, generous, supportive and passionate about living life to the full," Palin said.

“He was far more than one of the funniest writer-performers of his generation. He was the complete Renaissance comedian — writer, director, presenter, historian, brilliant children’s author, and the warmest, most wonderful company you could wish to have.”

12 Likes

He was a great talent. Directed Life of Brian and The Holy grail. He had been suffering dementia for quite a while, and Palin used to visit him. There is a doco on You Tube of the 2 of them touring the locations for Holy Grail that is worth watching.

Monty Python were comic giants, brilliant and anarchic. and l happily watch them any time l can.

8 Likes

A very sad loss and only a couple of days since Arthur “Two Sheds” Jackson was mentioned on here.

4 Likes

John Cleese’s tribute ended with “2 down, 4 to go”.

6 Likes

Haha, I must’ve missed that. Two Sheds is probably one of the top ten things my family regularly throws in conversations to each other. Why and how I do not know.

1 Like

This one hits hard. I grew up on Python videos, I was suspended from school in year 2 for calling my teacher a “Yellow bar-stard”, and when I was dragged out by the arm for doing so, yelling “It’s only a flesh wound”.

They remain the funniest troupe that ever worked together. They’ll never be bested.

13 Likes

My university years were the latter end of the TV series years. You weren’t allowed to speak at morning tea on Tuesdays unless you’d watched the night before.

2 Likes

This has to be questionable.

Did they really have TVs in your university years?

3 Likes

Black and white yes, but TV’s.

1 Like

So much of their work found its way into the sayings of my family and friends. Probably most favoured was The Four Yorkshiremen’s “Luxury”, “Of course, we had it tough” and “You tell that to kids today and they won’t believe you”. Classic.

7 Likes

Jones and Palin did Ripping Yarns too.

Black pudding’s black today, mother
It were always raining in Denley Moor
Tomkinson’s Schooldays
Roger of the Raj
Murder at Moorstones Manor
Curse of the Claw
Etc

We always demand Spear & Jackson garden tools, but they must have brass reinforced handle.

5 Likes

Treasured memories of The Secret Policeman’s Other Ball , with John Cleese selling iced albatross at interval. The theatre was drenched in cannabis fumes.

2 Likes

“No one expects the Spanish Inquisition…”

1 Like

Thee four are featuring on SBS now - recording of a live show