Celebrity Deaths 2020

It’s wafer thin

1 Like

“It’s oonly waff err thin”

Pls.

4 Likes

I was always hooked by the “Olympic Hide and Seek final” skit . Brilliant concept.

And I always thought Holy Grail was their funniest film, though Brian was more cleverly done. Meaning of Life I found a bit tedious in stages.

1 Like

And in similar vein:

James Hacker: Bernard, how did Sir Humphrey know I was with Dr. Cartwright?

Bernard Woolley: God moves in a mysterious way.

James Hacker: Let me make one thing perfectly clear: Humphrey is not God, OK?

Bernard Woolley: Will you tell him or shall I?

Doesn’t look like any of the streaming services have “Yes,Minister” currently. I may have to buy the DVD set. I do have the books, which translate surprisingly well to print.

3 Likes

Not to mention the 100m for people who can’t swim. They’ll be round to fish the bodies out of the pool later…and the marathon for the incompetent.

And Upper Class Twit of the Year…and the fish-slapping dance.

I paid to see The Holy Grail 7 times, and Brian 4 or 5 times. Meaning of Life had good moments, but some ordinary too. The sex education lessons and the masters v students rugby match were classic ideas.

This is up there with silly walks and confuse the cat, for mine.

edit… “Le Marche Futile”. Dear lord.

1 Like

I actually found that the books made Hacker look more competent than the TV series did. I loved both though. Although the shows were made in the 80s, my entire understanding of politics is based on them, it’s it’s surprisingly, (and somewhat disturbingly) remained accurate.

Bernard : We can CGSM it.

Hacker : CGSM?

Bernard : Civil Service code, Minister. It stands for “Consignment of Geriatric Shoe Manufacturers”.

Hacker : What?

Bernard : A load of old cobblers, Minister.

Hacker : I’m not a civil servant. I shall use my own code. I shall write: “Round Objects”.

[…later…]

Bernard : You remember that letter you wrote “Round Objects” on?

Hacker : Oh yes.

Bernard : It’s come back from Sir Humphrey’s office. He’s commented on it.

Hacker : What does he say?

Bernard : Who is Round and to what does he object?

4 Likes

“You can tell them the matter is ‘under consideration,’ or even ‘under active consideration’ if you feel so inclined.”

“What’s the difference?”

“‘Under consideration’ means ‘We’ve lost the file.’”

“And ‘Under active consideration?’”

“We’re trying to find it.”

5 Likes

Had a fair innings, … watched him for years.

The “Brian Naylor” of PBS.

It was not a stretch imagining that dingus

1 Like

The problem that l had with The Meaning of Life, was that for long stretches of the film, it forgot to be funny, and in many places was tedious.

Died in his sleep. PBS is what news used to and still should look and sound like.

1 Like

I remember watching “The Truth…” doco, and recall they said for he writing of MOL, they all went on holidays and just threw ideas around and said that will do - hence there’s little coherence.

For those with Netflix the “Personal Best” compilation is fantastic. I rewatched Terry Jones’ episode the other night. RIP.

Rumour going around Kobe Bryant has died in a helicopter crash in LA.

Confirmed by police :cry:

In shock. Can’t believe it.

jeez 2020 isn’t off to a good start. Too many legends leaving us way too soon. And Kobe was a legend.

So tragic. RIP.