Changes for Dreamtime at the 'G

I’d agree with that. In fact, that pretty much what I said yesterday. Hurley in 2015 was on par (or shaded him) with him in many areas, but the one on one’s.

1 Like

Rance is a shirker and punches instead of going for the mark. Hence the 1% anomaly. He’s going to sit back in his rocking chair one day and tell his grandkids he was the greatest 1%er ever to play the game.

2 Likes

84 intercept possessions says otherwise. I’d suggest the 1% stat is as much about having to come across and cover for his team mates with a last minute fist.

1 Like

The great thing is that the team has shown an ability to learn from their mistakes this season. We were poor in the wet v Carlton, both in terms of the game style we played and also not being up for the contest. Next opportunity we had in similar conditions (Anzac Day) we played a great wet-weather game and won. This time the task is more of a mental nature. Again using the Carlton game as an example, we didn’t bring it after a 2-0 start to the season. We go into this game off the back of 2 good wins against top-4 opponents. We will come up against a team that has basically been laughed at for the past fortnight for choking at the death. They should come out breathing fire early, and we need to be ready for that intensity. I would be massively annoyed if they got off to a 6 goal to 2 start and won the game by 2-3 goals just because of not being at the races from the first bounce more than if we just had an absolute mare and got done by a big margin. I get the feeling our group is ready for the challenge, they know what they will confront, massive crowd, great occasion. My confidence in them is growing, especially forward of centre with the array of goalscoring avenues we have. As long as the midfield gets to work as it has against WCE and Geelong, the result will take care of itself.

3 Likes

Woosha has been clever in the development of the game plan imo.

First train for fast ball movement over the preseason and establish the best 22, and ensure they are well versed in the press style Woosha likes. Bring in a master handball coach. Train intensively for one handed ball handling to give more margin for error. Get that working over the first few games , then close in on stoppages and layer in the manic tackling game style of the Bulldogs.

Thats where we are at, around 2/3 of the way into the season, with a reasonably fit list.

Now we have to see if they can sustain that intensity for the rest of the season, because a more physical game style leads to a higher risk of injury. We just need luck to ensure our depth is adequate and fit into round 23 and beyond.

No changes. I hope the boys bring it.

1 Like

No changes.

EMG: Bellchambers, Bird, Langford.

1 Like

I would put my left nut on the fact that the 1% to Hurley, brings it to ground and sets up the next rebound from 50. The guys ability to spoil, take on a defender or two and release the ball to a team mate is second to none. (Except for that stupid free paid against him that was called advantage and resulted in a a couple of weeks back)

I would consider 1 change only…Bellchambers for Stewart.

1 Like

I wouldn’t.

I like Joe going into the ruck for periods of the game, Frees him up a bit from the forward 50 and he is actually quite competitive in the ruck.

Bellchambers cannot play 3rd tall for a full game. Let’s not get fooled by him kicking 6 in the VFL.

Stewart offers us a very good 3rd tall option who understands how to lead and play forward.

Bellcho is literally a stay at home FF who kicks goals in the VFL due to his sheer size, something he wouldn’t be able to translate into the AFL.

3 Likes

W.T.F

7 Likes

We’ve previously established TIPPA doesn’t do well in the 1% stat: it doesn’t mean what you think it should.

Hartley presumably ranks well there because he refuses to take contested marks, choosing to punch instead.

1 Like

There’s no way I’d be bringing Bellchambers in unless Berger breaks in half.

1 Like

In no way does Stewart go out for anything other than injury. The numbers may not suggest it but he is so important to the structure of our fwd line

9 Likes

I’m not expecting a groundswell of support for the ‘Bellchambers for Stewart’ proposal.

12 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bellchambers is in the team this week.

Why? Because He kicked six against against EFL 4th Div quality opposition?

3 Likes

I’d be shocked, unless leuy’s leg snapped in half at training today theres no way he’ll get a game

I’d like to see him do it week after week and have some consistency in his game not just play week one good followed by a couple bad weeks…

I have a feeling that the match committee will be trying to expose the tigers lack of tall defense and they may have to play Rance on him which would be a win for us.

I’m now awaiting a photoshopped image from WP.

2 Likes