Changes for fcfc

McKenna goes. Long comes in to debut against Carlton, perfect.

McKenna goes. Long comes in to debut against Carlton, perfect.

who’s on lti?

In Ambrose

Out: gwilt

Gunna have to believe thats a typo.

Gleeson out? Seriously? He's going OK and is one of those young group of players who must play every game this year.
Should be the first dropped. Very poor today, and besides is too weak physically to be in the backline. Forwards just brush him aside with ease, plus he offers nothing special with ball in hand.

Reckon Crowley is a certainty after his weekend performance in the reserves.

It’s not the cattle.

Watching Gleeson is like Groundhog day, he has not improved. Keep hearing his name when mentioned about youth, gets #8 but thats all I see different. Has had a glorious run with selection, put Tippa at HF now with Dempsey back send Gleeson to the 2s and handover the development to McKenna.

Gwilt stays, hard not to look bad when the ball comes in that much. Look at the Dees and Cats game, he has become the quarterback to our ball movement. Just needs to go when its his turn, looks like he always wants to keep his feet to be used as the exit out of D50.

It's not the cattle.

The prod?

It's not the cattle.

The prod?

Maybe.
But drop A B and C, bring in D E and F does nothing to fix the problems of today.

It’s not the cattle.
We were soft and arrogant in the midfield, disorganised down back and stupid up forward.
They ran. We didn’t.
They had a plan. It worked really well.
I can only assume our plan was win it clean from the stoppages…if anyone else saw one, please…

It’s not Gwilt or Gleeson or Joe’s fault, and to pretend it is is to really misinterpret today’s events.

In Crowley and Ashby
Out Grimley and Stokes

In Crowley and Ashby Out Grimley and Stokes
Don't go full yaco
In Crowley and Ashby Out Grimley and Stokes

Why would you drop Grimley? He kicked two goals. And had three tackles. Stokes has had one poor game. For that he gets dropped?

It's not the cattle.

The prod?

Maybe.
But drop A B and C, bring in D E and F does nothing to fix the problems of today.

It’s not the cattle.
We were soft and arrogant in the midfield, disorganised down back and stupid up forward.
They ran. We didn’t.
I can only assume our plan was win it clean from the stoppages…if anyone else saw one, please…

It’s not Gwilt or Gleeson or Joe’s fault, and to pretend it is is to really misinterpret today’s events.

You say its not the cattle, then say we were soft and arrogant etc. Isn’t it the cattle that are soft and arrogant etc? Or have I missed something?

McKenna gets dropped. In Redman.

Gleeson out for Ashby. Ashby had a blinder in the VFL.

It's not the cattle.

The prod?

Maybe.

It’s not the cattle.
They ran. We didn’t.

You say its not the cattle, then say we were soft and arrogant etc. Isn’t it the cattle that are soft and arrogant etc? Or have I missed something?

Sorry, I meant it’s not the skillset of a few guys playing in the seniors being replaced with a slightly different one that will make a difference.

Yesterday was disappointing. But, without wanting to diminish how disappointing it was, I still think that’s a pretty good squad to be moving forward with.

It's not the cattle.

The prod?

Maybe.

It’s not the cattle.
They ran. We didn’t.

Sorry, I meant it’s not the skillset of a few guys playing in the seniors being replaced with a slightly different one that will make a difference.

Yesterday was disappointing. But, without wanting to diminish how disappointing it was, I still think that’s a pretty good squad to be moving forward with.

It's not the cattle.

The prod?

Maybe.

It’s not the cattle.
They ran. We didn’t.

Certainly wasn’t anyone’s plan for us not to run hard both ways, to not stick a tackle, and to make repeated skill errors. Obviously it’s easy to scape goat but the VFL players were impressive and we have options, especially in regards to our more experienced players. With regards to game plan we’re definitely trying to implement a moderate press and control the ball once we have it, preferably via a quick switch to open up angles allowing us to centre the ball. Two things killed this yesterday; appalling skills errors/decisions, and an inability to win critical one on ones when Collingwood countered hard. At the risk of shuffling deckchairs, I think that dropping players that fell down in these areas will make a real difference to our confidence and ability to execute the game plan.

My changes would be:

Out Dempsey, In Simpkin: - Simmo was our best player maker in the VFL with 30 touches and a tonne of forward entries. He did the sort of things Dempsey is supposed to do. Dempsey was just awful.

Out Gwilt, in Grima: Gwilt was very good vs the Dees but he was hopeless yesterday. Grima is looking fitter and should take the role of FB from Hartley and give Hartley a chance to use that cannon of a leg at CHB. The kid was so poised yesterday, let’s build his skill set.

Out McKenna, In Redman/Long: Oirish didn’t do enough in either game he has played and we’re still looking for goals. He’ll learn plenty in the VFL.

On notice: Gleeson/Dea. Both were terrible yesterday but Gleeson is young/listed and Dea has been very good prior. They’re helped that there were no obvious HBF candidates that stood out in the VFL yesterday (though Long off a HBF isn’t the worst idea I’ve heard).

Out: Gleeson, McKenna In: Redman, Grima
Bringing Grima in is going a bit too tall for my liking.

Our lack of height in defence is one of our major weaknesses IMO

Then Brown should go back, cos our forward line is too tall and slow.

Brown is creating space in our forward line and getting scoring opportunities. Why would you send him back?

I agree with Minion on the premise that we are very tall, quite possibly too tall, up forward, with Grimley, Brown, and JD. And that if we bring in another tall at the expense of a running player down back one of the problems of today will be compounded.

I also agree with wim that it was not all about personnel out there today. Possibly a coaching experiment or an independent determination on the part of the playing group to see how much they could get wrong and to dissect the results, hopefully for their educational benefit. It was remarkable how it even infected reliable soldiers like Baguley.

If you are going to drop Gleeson, who was either soft, or on a very good opponent, Ashby, in spite of suspect disposal, is a much tougher player who fights hard for possession. We need more of that type of player based on yesterdays performance.

Think the issue people are missing is, the reserves belted their opposition, so plently of players played well.
the reverse for seniors so the emphasis should be

perform to a certain standard every week.
if you don’t you run the real risk of being dropped.

Gleeson was poor
dempsey was poor
parish was poor
mckenna
etc etc and so on.

everyone who played poorly should be worried about losing their spot this weekend. NO ONE player deserves to play every game this year, not one.

this year should be about finding out who gels with who, and who turns up and performs week in week out.