Changes for Port Adelaide Rd11 2022

Lot’s of egg on faces after we win this week.

Out: Redman
In: Ridley

1 Like

Agree.

Stewart forward, Wright Back.

I was encouraged by what I saw early but I’ve come to the conclusion that the balance of the backline is just wrong with him and hepp and lav there.

I think Kelly has defended well for the most part but he’s the worst player we’ve got in the backline with ball in hand and by some margin (no mean feat in our backline). He’s been caught holding the ball several times in recent weeks and you just can’t afford last line defenders to make that mistake once a week. Not to mention going for marks he should be spoiling

Too often he slows us down when we need to go quick and I think he’s pushed Ridley away from where we’d want him to some extent. We don’t seem prepared to play him on the genuine smalls and were basically using him and lav pretty interchangeably as tall mediums and pushing hepp further up the ground than is ideal given how easily he’s exposed for pace.

I think our ideal last line right now is Ridley and lav with hepp the first one back but often this season it’s been Kelly and lav with zerk or reid or Stewart the first one back to support.

So yeah, I’m over how the backline structure looks with Kelly there. He’s perfect depth for lav or hepp but not much more imo

5 Likes

He does seem similar to LAV except he is slightly better on smaller guys.

I would send Heppell forward personally.

I’m keen to bring Brand in as think he will be part of future backline with Reid and Ridley.
If i could swap Kelly for a Ben Paton type I would.

1 Like

I’m swapping Kelly for McGrath. Play a legit gun small defender, play lav as a medium. Ridley brand Reid take the talls.

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’d bring in the kids, at least, they will have a red go, and, you might find a couple of diamonds in the rough:
In: Brand, Ridley, Hird, Wangannen, Phillips & Caldwell (if fit).
Out: Guelfi (Inj), Redman (Susp) Cutler, Waterman, Smith & Bryan (All Omit)
Sub: Durham

2 Likes

Hird is nowhere close to AFL standard

3 Likes

I’d still play Waterman based off nothing more than him at least pretending to give half a ■■■■

2 Likes

Neither was Gary O’Donnell when Sheedy gave him the last game of the season.
Some kids will play better in a more structured environment. Given the state of our VFL team, no one is going to improve in that.
Hird has shown commitment and a desire to learn, that needs to be rewarded.
If he fails, so be it, what do we lose by trying him?

3 Likes

In: Brand and a new brand

1 Like

Agree, but what he can do is tackle inside 50.
I would give McDonagh a game too sometime this year even if he is gonna be cut, he will be able to tell his kids he played 1 game of AFL which is more than the everyday person.

Still we should save Hirds debut for the Saints.

There is no justifiable reason for Stewart ever playing another game for us.

3 Likes

I think we will win this week.

Ridley back in for Redman. Jones/Stewart have to be getting closer

Both my wife and I have corporate tickets in our respective works corporate box and have handed them on to work colleagues. All the free grog in the world couldn’t entice to watch that crap

4 Likes

probably best you spend your footy watching time on potential SA mid season draft recruits to get our hopes up.

Did he touch that?

I wouldn’t be shocked if we ■■■■ out a win this week. Port are on the verge of a true coach killing performance that will end Hinkley.

Just keep pumping games into the kids. It’s all we can do right now

If Cutler is not dropped I’ll take back every positive/voice of reason thing I’ve said for the last 3 months and go on a rant to make Nino blush

2 Likes

you could say this about half our side. most of them suck week in, week out

Out: Smith, Guelfi, Waterman & Redman
In: Jones, Caldwell, Wanganeen & Ridley

B: Ridley Reid McGrath
HB: Hind Laverde Heppell
C: Durham Merrett Cutler
HF: Perkins Jones Martin
F: Wanganeen Wright Francis
R: Draper Parish Caldwell

I/C: Bryan Shiel Hobbs Kelly

Sub: Ham

Reallllly looking forward to (hopefully) having Stringer, Langford & Snelling available after the bye.

1 Like