Changes vs Port Adelaide R2 2021

Development and winning matches aren’t mutually exclusive.

No they are not but in round 1 I would fully expect to see the expectation go on the players to implement the game plan and structures that have been the focus of pre-season

Mid season I would/will expect a different reaction from the coaching staff

To my way of thinking last night’s second half would have been a matter of “ok boys what are you going to do about this on field”

Surely our so called on field leaders can see whats happening among the playing group as far as structures and pressure?

Guys like Hep, Merrett, Shiel etc should not need the coach to tell them to stick to the game plan and apply some ■■■■■■■ pressure

Fwiw

Francis out for Zerk/Brand/Reid/Phillips dont care who really

Hooker for Bryan

Maybe Snelling for Perkins just to have a look at him or even Waterman

Guelfi, Ambrose and Stringer in as soon as they’re ready which I assume is still a little way off for all
Jake the closest I assume

I put it up in the Francis thread randomly but I actually wouldnt mind trying Phillips at full back

He’s big, reasonably athletic and seems like a guy you give a job to and he does everything he can to stick at it

Definitely worth considering.

I also think part of his problem was lack of preparation - only re-joined full training very recently and didn’t play in either pre-season game, so he was always going to struggle fitness wise going into this game.

1 Like

It seems obvious to me: we need Waterman playing and give Perkins his debut. There were a lot of disappointing players last night, a couple need to go.

Meh

Hope covid shuts the season down again

Worse players than Redman
At least he had a go

Play anyone you’re not sure about until you are sure about them, and if it’s a no then never play them again. So, no changes unless it’s players we never see again.

1 Like

Give him all shots for goal- pass it to Waterman

No goals no win

I don’t think so. All the commentary today is just a fine.

No changes for mine. Yes serious. Stringer not fit enough and Perkins i am happy to have more midfield mins in VFL to develop. If individuals break team rules again next week then you can make a change.

Reacting harsh after just one game would be amateurish and not reflective of building a team for future success. We cant play anyone under 100% fit… thats the message in this faster football style

14 Likes

Agree, he had a go. But he was probably the only player in our 22 last night that hadn’t played either practice game and so was coming off limited preparation. Would have been better to play Perkins or Waterman and use Ham/Cox as the 7th defender. Or bring in Zerk thatcher and allow Laverde to take a smaller player.

We lost the game
Certain players were not up to it
Changes needed for any credibility with team selection to be maintained

What are you indicating?

That players got complacent and became front runners and went away from team first football. This game plan has a clear identity that everyone plays a role and works hard both offensively and defensively for each other. 3rd Qtr we went away from it and suffered

7 Likes

Roll on with the kids

Cahill Reid Laverde
Hind Ridley Heppell

Cox McGrath Redman

Langford Jones Perkins
Tippa Wright Waterman

Draper Merrett Caldwell

Shiel, Bryan, Parish, Ham

Med-sub: Gleeson? (Don’t hate him as much as Cutler)

Unrealistic but whatever

It probably leaves us a little short at half forward, but I do like it.

Hooker going back is an absolute no brainer. He trained there all pre season and with Stewart out, it’s a must. We have Jones and 2mp to contest high balls and a more agile fwd line would help.

Hooker on Dixon is perfect, as he won’t get beaten for pace, strength or size.

Credibility comes with developing and building a team. Not reacting impulsively from a point of emotion. This year is not about wins and losses as such. Its about a proper foundation being set for future success. Many are learning completely new roles…it takes time. If Truck sincerely believes a guy like Cahill will be a player through experience and time… then back him in early. Had so many examples of players looking lost in first 10 games but then became greats.

6 Likes

Is Charlie Dixon fit? If so, I think Hooker might have to go back for this game. Dixon will be too physical for Francis and Lav

We had our chances, half the goals came from coast to coast rebounds from our poor execution. They also kicked 8 straight. If anything we probably needed to change our plan but we stuck at it and failed to impact the scoreboard and couldn’t lock it in which left our defence vulnerable. I don’t think we fell away from team football, just some skill errors that gave them a sniff and put pressure on us.

1 Like