Changes vs Sydney

smashed 5th on the ladder by 12 goals, Parish still improves the side if he’s fit enough to come back in. Hope the VFL have another game this week for Langford to further push his case.

Parish is a better player than Howlett so if his calf strain is right will be back in. Bobcat was ok however, handy depth to call upon.

The Myers vs Langford scenario is an interesting one.

I think Myers has now been given a very fair run at regathering his form but still isn’t performing, low possessions that are ineffective a lot of the time, defensively not offering much either.

Irrespective of the “don’t change a winning team” argument there should be reward for form in 2’s. Those consistently playing well should come in for similar type who isn’t performing well in 1’s.

Langford can offer the senior side a LOT more than Myers is at present IMO.

5 Likes

Parish in,

Myers stays. We have nobody on the list that comes to close to matching his ability to support Jobe as that tough hardened body blocking, tackling and winning the inside footy. Hocking the next best.

Parish for Howlett seems a no brainer but will he be fit? I just never trust the injury reports.

5 Likes

Good in theory

Except he has had only 1 tackle in each of last two games. And even if he wins ball ineffective with it. Getting 17 possessions and half not hitting target or going straight back to opposition not helping team.

Passenger at present.

3 Likes

Goddard has been performing that role pretty well this year.

I do agree Myers stays. Need big body types against Sydney. But running out of chances.

3 Likes

VFL - Bye.

IN Parish Langford
OUT Howlett Myers

Parish is well and truly best 22 while Howlett is depth. Langford has strung together some very good performances while Myers has been very rusty

because both howlett and myers turn the ball over more often than not. when you’re on top of teams or they aren’t playing well, you can cover it.
Sydney and interstate is another ball game compared to port down here. you have 2 momentum killers out there to begin the game with, you can’t afford to have anyone else off their game, otherwise you end up with the richmond game.

also those saying we need “big” bodies, do you guys not remember the last time you used that to justify team selection ?
FTR it was the carlton game, and how exactly did that game go again with all those “big bodied” players ?

What we need is players who can hit targets first and foremost. neither howlett or myers provide that.
no doubt if parish is fit he comes in for howlett.

Myers i’d personally drop for begley.

But if they are going to persist with picking and playing both, they have to restrict their ball use cos they are sadly a byproduct of an era past, they just blindly kick it forward without looking and constantly miss targets, you can’t afford to do that anymore

Every week is the same.

Out - Someone, anyone, who cares
In - Langford.

5 Likes

not me. i’d rather they try something different til they know for sure if langford comes in he can perform the roles required of him.

I’d rather they bring in begley so that raz/tippa/green can rotate through the middle a bit more, while still having 3 small fast dangerous forwards in the forwardline at all times.

langford for me has time on his side, so like it’s worked to a degree with gleeson and belly this year, keep him in the 2’s and get him to work on what they need from him there, so when he comes back in, he has a better chance of reproducing it at afl level.

…and? It’s not like this is out of character for him, he’s always fallen down on his delivery. He’s fine when he’s in and around the contest but he’s maybe our worst kick going inside 50.

Myers isn’t in great form, but that stat defies the fact that I have seen him lay more tackles than that with my own eyes.

Myersy is ranked an absolutely irreplaceable 26th for tackles per game at the club, 18th for 1 percenters and equal 10th for clearances.
if that’s his role, he’s not doing it very well.
If he’s there as a rebounding half back he’s 16th for rebound 50s, again hardly irreplaceable.

They’re giving him plenty of rope to get back to form but he has shown very few signs.

1 Like

Honestly any player that handballs to players feet repeatedly should be dropped to Abers.

3 Likes

Langford has strung together some very good performances? Are you referring to 2017, if so, I must have mist those games

Incomplete attempts, most likely. Ie, if the guy gets the ball out it’s not a completed tackle.

Isn’t any tackle that effects the disposal considered effective? Anyway tackle stats are pretty iffy and most clubs use different stats to what we’re given.

VFL obviously.

and you have to reward Langford with a call up eventually so he’s a definite IN.

1 Like

Myers is average at best

Him for parish is a no brainer.

5 Likes