Christmas Open Session

Calf strains not ideal for Myers. The plus is we have Langford champing at the bit to fill his spot.

Rapt that Colyer will be back to full training post Xmas.

Myers will too and is in sensational nick.

CJohns - thanks for the comments. You reminded me about Wilbur Hams, whom I forgot to mention in my training wrap up. He looked strong and quick and was making smart decisions in traffic. Hirdy and Bomber both contended that Hams could be a first-class midfielder if he could only stack on a few kgs. I’m not sure he’s done that, but it could be that he’s simply gotten his body stronger, as will tend to happen after enough pre-seasons. One to keep an eye on.

Razz looking good too. Colyer/Parish/Razz/Hams … the new mosquito fleet?

i like it how people say certain guys are “locks” for Round 1 even though it’s December and we are two months from our first practice match.

most excited about the reports of Brown being CHB rd 1 before a practice game played. if he can effectively replace carlise & Lueneberger replace ryder. then all we need is a forward to step up and help out daniher & Hooker, and we should be finals bound.

Think Parish will have most impact of the first year teenagers, sounds like quality user and smart footy brain. Glad sub rule is gone, as he could have been stuck with the vest like zac merrett was in his first year.

Great reports!

From speaking to Cal Twomey last Friday morning the club are really happy with Darc thus far and Cal thinks he’s the one that will be playing seniors early on. You can pick that straight away.
Also asked him a little about how that draft panned out. Said we were never really looking at Weideman as we weren’t sure on his body, Curnow wasn’t an option and if we went for a tall it would’ve likely been Harry McKay. Also thinks if Melbourne had of gone for Francis at pick 3 chances are we would have gone both Parish and Oliver. We were pretty set on Francis though.

never got a full pre-season:
Myers

catch up , @Riolio

i like it how people say certain guys are "locks" for Round 1 even though it's December and we are two months from our first practice match.

That’s the beauty of the pre season.
In reality I think we finally cut ties with a lot of deadwood, have a new coaching panel and now have a real uncertainty about how our starting side will look.
If fit the only true locks are probably Jobe, Hepp, Hurls, Hooker, Baguley, BJ, Zerrett, Daniher, Colyer, Buddha, Myers, Hibbo and most likely Stants. I think you can almost bank on the promising kids like Fantasia Langford, Laverde, Parish to be really pressing for a spot, and then there’s Edwards, Jacko, Ashby, Hams and Gleeson(not so much) who need to take the next step and have a huge 12 months ahead of them.
Just so much to play out yet and it’ll be really exciting to see how it all unfolds.

Wont even bother with a best 22 this pre season.

Wont even bother with a best 22 this pre season.
You're unnecessarily limiting yourself. If you assume hot days, you can create a Best 26 for the pre-season.

That’s much easier.

Best 22 (for round 1 atleast):

B: Baguley Hurley Gwilt
HB: Hibberd Brown Fantasia
C: Colyer Watson Zaharakis
HF: Goddard Hooker Z.Merrett
F: McKernan Daniher Bird
R: Luenburger Heppell Hocking
INT: Myers Parish Stanton Langford

Cooney and Francis are the two that have the best chance of breaking into that side before round 1.

most excited about the reports of Brown being CHB rd 1 before a practice game played. if he can effectively replace carlise & Lueneberger replace ryder. then all we need is a forward to step up and help out daniher & Hooker, and we should be finals bound.

Think Parish will have most impact of the first year teenagers, sounds like quality user and smart footy brain. Glad sub rule is gone, as he could have been stuck with the vest like zac merrett was in his first year.

Great reports!

From speaking to Cal Twomey last Friday morning the club are really happy with Darc thus far and Cal thinks he’s the one that will be playing seniors early on. You can pick that straight away.
Also asked him a little about how that draft panned out. Said we were never really looking at Weideman as we weren’t sure on his body, Curnow wasn’t an option and if we went for a tall it would’ve likely been Harry McKay. Also thinks if Melbourne had of gone for Francis at pick 3 chances are we would have gone both Parish and Oliver. We were pretty set on Francis though.

As per my previous post, Harry McKay was very much in the mix. However, I am really pleased with how it played out.

i like it how people say certain guys are "locks" for Round 1 even though it's December and we are two months from our first practice match.

Are you suggesting that some contributors to this site are guilty of speculative thinking and fanciful navel gazing?

Are you suggesting that some contributors to this site are guilty of speculative thinking and fanciful navel gazing?

You should see my navel though. Very fancy.

Try and pick a best 22 if you like, but in 2016, will Woosha play the best 22, or will he play the best 18 with 4 kids, or 20 +2 ?

Maybe he plays the best 22 for the first 6-8 games to get a handle on how good the side can be, and boost the membership, then embark ( assisted by inevitable injuries) on cycling the younger players through the team , eg. put a Hams in instead of a Bird, put an Eades in instead of a Dempsey etc etc
in the second half of the season, in order to build towards top 4 in 2018
In an 18 + 4 scenario, the older depth players like Bird, Dempsey, Cooney, Howlett might struggle to get an AFL game at all.

Thanks so much for the fantastic training reports over the past year. For an interstate Bombers tragic who doesn’t get the opportunity to see the team, other than on tv or maybe once a year if they play near you, these reports are solid gold.

Every lid off or lid on comment is to be enjoyed as I live vicariously through your words.Your observations and opinions colour the sessions, just as much as your pictures.

I am deeply grateful for the time and effort you all put in to get these out and I wish you all a wonderful 2016. Enjoy the holiday season and time spent with family and friends, unless they are Carlton supporters in which case Fark 'em.

I am deeply grateful for the time and effort you all put in to get these out and I wish you all a wonderful 2016. Enjoy the holiday season and time spent with family and friends, unless they are Carlton supporters in which case Fark 'em.
Ditto. Especially the last bit.

Who else is already moist for next season.
Chucked some cash on Langford for rising star, is laverde still eligible?

Already chucked a sneaky $50 on us to win the flag at $60. Babybombers16

Another myers injury, theres always something, makes you wonder if we should’ve traded him when hes got currency or wait until its too late.

Who else is already moist for next season. Chucked some cash on Langford for rising star, is laverde still eligible?

Already chucked a sneaky $50 on us to win the flag at $60. Babybombers16

He is, and worth a shot, imo.

Another myers injury, theres always something, makes you wonder if we should've traded him when hes got currency or wait until its too late.

and so it starts…

Another myers injury, theres always something, makes you wonder if we should've traded him when hes got currency or wait until its too late.

and so it starts…

I started months ago.

From these reports the take home message is that I think we will win every game in 2016.

l don’t see how we will lose a game, to paraphrase Maltyhouse.