Close Encounters With Famous People

Pre Victory game in Adelaide.

A still playing but suspended Kevin Muscat rocked up to the pub and dropped some money on the bar for the travelling fans.

As everyone is leaving the bar for the march to the ground my mates and I are the last out. Kev yells out “Oi lads who’s going to help me finish this tray of shots” so we stayed back doing shots with Kev. As he jumps into a cab to the ground he offers us a ride to which we decline before a mate says “hang on, isn’t he going where we’re going”

8 Likes

I think it’s lovely that she’s been happily married to Enrique Iglesias for like 20 years.

3 Likes

Reminds me of a night at Jooce back in early 93. I was walking past a group of guys and overheard one saying “nobody knows who you are”. I took 1 look and said “yes they do, he’s James Hird”. He’d only played maybe a few senior games in 92 but I was a VFL and training watcher back then so recognised him. He just smiled and I kept walking. Didn’t see him again that night.

Ive seen lots of players over the years in bars and clubs but I never approach them for a chat although Jeff Hogg took a swing at me at the Saloon in Toorak one night. I had no idea who he was and hadn’t even seen him before he came at me. I assume it was some sort of mistaken identity thing and he’s just a massive flog. He slipped as he tried to hit me and his mates grabbed him off the floor before security marched him out.

1 Like

I’ve seen Paris Hiltons boob (yes singular) in real life.

Was having a kick in the car park at the G after a bombers game and Danny Southern came from nowhere and launched his knee in my back and took a speccy over me which left me face first in the mud. Back has never been the same since.

10 Likes

I took Tom Morello and the late great Chris Cornell out for beers at the Vineyard in St Kilda.

I’ve never felt cooler in my life waking into that place with those two, and less cool driving them there in a 1993 Magna station wagon.

edit.

Had a similar experience with Joel and Adam from Killswitch Engage, but this time was smart enough to take a cab.

21 Likes

Probably my funniest encounter was with Nathan Bracken’s wife.

I was at the Alan Border medal and i was doing one of those walk past the Aussie team for a gander on my way to the toilet type strolls when Mrs Bracken stood in front of me. She was also going to the lav and i was following when she stopped to let someone past. I stopped behind her and unknowingly was standing on the train of her dress. Anyway, as she set to walk off, the dress snapped taught and she almost fell backwards onto me.

Later that night at after after party in that dingy club at crown, i met most of the Australian cricket team. Andy Bichel was a real genuine guy. Symmonds was drunk and a little arrogant. Damien Martyn… wanker. I only have fleeting recollections of the others otherbthan running into (literally) michael clarke in the toilet

4 Likes

Wow, dude you win easy in my book.
RIP Mr Cornell

4 Likes

So Jeff Hogg’s buggered back could actually have been the result of a failed attempt at hitting you?

1 Like

This one was going to deliver…and then it didn’t.

Context needed…

1 Like

there is more to the story, on reflection i felt really bad about one part. Back in the day I used to have a radio show on PBS and i’d had an interview tee’d up with Audioslave. I had a good relationship with the Sony A and R guy and he knew I was a huge Tom Morello fan (i’m a guitarist and ripped him off religiously) so he’d made sure i was paired to it interview Tom, and another member. So i go up to a hotel room and Tom answers the door (in his Cubs hat, freaking wild) and lets me in and it’s then i know i’ve got Tom and Tim Commerford to interview, Tom asks me if i’d like a drink and i wouldn’t mind a coffee, thinking he’d get some gofer to go and get it, but no, Tom gets up and made me a coffee in the rooms kitchen :joy: i totally fan boy the whole interview, i end up getting over half an hour with them and i asked Tim literally one question :man_facepalming:after the interview we end up talking about guitar players for another hour and Tom asked where good places to eat in town that wouldn’t be too busy were and i told him the vineyard and he asks if i wanted to come and get something to eat, i said sure, and i’ll drive.

i go get my car and bring it out the front and waiting for me is Tom and this time Chris.

To this day i reckon Tim didn’t come because i’d totally blew him off in that interview. Poor bastard, gave up an hour and half of his own life to listen to me talk to Tom Morello :joy:

18 Likes

Rob Mills?

6 Likes

Awesome mate, how was Chris? Will forever be gutted I won’t hear him sing new songs.

I once filmed a scene with Sigrid Thornton and Tasma Walton.

After the scene, Tasma scabbed a ciggie off me, and we had awkward conversation.

17 Likes

Often see former footy players around Melbourne constriction sites. Mark Mecuri has been spotted. Had Jeff Farmer do a little ‘go dees’ recording for a mate’s birthday. The man is a gentleman.

2 Likes

very cool guy, Tom easily did most of the talking, we were all talking about politics (and Serj Tankian from System of a Down, they all seemed very fond of him and everything he’d had to say about anything, almost like he was their guru :joy:) for a lot of the night, Chris didn’t say much but any time he chimed in what he said was super deep and well considered, or funny. He was tall too, like KPP tall.

I remember asking him something about filming the movie Singles, and him tell me a story how he kept giving Matt Dillon ■■■■ about his character in Outsiders, the details are foggy though as i was pretty sauced at that stage.

4 Likes

My Dads in the background of the Its a long way to the top video clip. Does that count?

5 Likes

I guess it would have been different if life was a Mel Brooks movie