Coaching Team Review - please make new plans for 2019

We will have to agree to disagree on what constitutes courage!

I find this place passionate not feral.

2 Likes

We willā€¦ my grandmother, wise, wonderful and incredibly braveā€¦ would often sayā€¦ whatever you do, have the courage of your convictions. Itā€™s what I aspire to in life and what I admire most in others.

1 Like

You do realise that Wooshas extension would have been worked on for months in advance of round 1 donā€™t you?

Itā€™s not like we walked off the ground against Adelaide and wrote a contract.

5 Likes

So change ā€˜after one winā€™ to ā€˜either after round one or priorā€™.
Happy?

The issue that we have with employing coaches, is that we are disregarding the applicants previous results. The proof is in the pudding when it comes to coaches.

Interviewing coaches should not be a key part of the recruitment process. We need results. We donā€™t need vision. We donā€™t need their values. We donā€™t need their career goals.

We need to see their previous results.

3 Likes

2016 Hardwick was in the frame for the sack, and some were calling for a rebuild. That turned out allright.
2017 Bucks was in the frame for the same treatment, Pies are doing alright this year.

Sometimes it isnā€™t the senior coach. It might be his support group, it might be he just does not have the cattle (through injuries or just not being able to get them).

Crawford talks about when Clarkson came to the Hawks, learning the game plan and how difficult it was to become what they needed to. Plenty of players needed to be brought in or moved out to achieve the vision, and it took a fair bit of time for it to become second nature and the finger pointing on who needed to be where to stop. Once it became second nature, players could concentrate on playing footy and not where they needed to be and the improvement was dramatic.

I donā€™t have the answers, but based on his last couple of years, I donā€™t think not giving Woosha a new contract, and exposing the club and the players to another coach is a good idea.

On the board, it wouldnā€™t be much fun to come in here and try to explain a decision when the majority of the information for the decision is commercial in confidence.

1 Like

I would say footy club performance is operational, not stratgeic.

But Board should be able to explain why Football success isnā€™t/ was not included in part of their strategy for future.

Tonight I read some pre-season Essendon hype and it set me thinking. I think there are 3 main reasons for their woeful form:

1. Their new game plan (such as it is). Whereas last year they had some surety in the way they played (at least on their good days, and even with some of their defeats), this year there is confusion. The only thing they can do now, I think, is to persevere with trying to polish this new approach, which will result in a wipeout this year, but the possibility of it coming together next season; which means another lost season. Itā€™s too late to try anything new, although they could admit defeat and revert back to last yearā€™s approach.

2. The fall away of form of important players: Daniher, Merrett, Tippa and McGrath being the 4 that come readily to mind. I suggest Daniherā€™s fall away is because, during the pre-season, the coaches emphasis with him was on his developing his defensive style. This has effected him the way the new game plan has affected the team overall. Another factor is that they have played through Stewart, Stringer and, when he was up forward, Hooker more than they have Daniher. These two factors have combined to cause a loss of confidence.
    It may mean his whole season will be poor, until he gains confidence in his defensive skills, and then perhaps the rest of his game might come back to him.

3. Injuries: Fantasia has been a huge loss. His absence has also impacted upon Tippa, I suspect. Gleeson is a huge loss on the backline. Throw in injuries to Dea, Brown, Ambrose and the suspension to McKenna means that the backline has no continuity. And with injuries to Fantasia, Green, Colyer and Begley, the small forwards, a big strength last season, have been neutralised. Laverdeā€™s late start has meant his development has stalled again.

Anyway, thatā€™s my assessment. I have no confidence that they will turn the season around and expect a bottom four finish.

5 Likes

i like that idea, his son will surely be picked up by us so it would be a great chance for him to return to the fold.

2 Likes

how would we convince Ratten to leave the hawks?

Given Myers and Langford (was ok versus crows) havent been the answer in the middle there is only one player who hasnt been tried that could steer the ship. Enter Clarke.

IF Woosha ignores Clarke then, he needs to work on getting our scoring mojo back.
If we score over 100 points we generally win.

We have had 2 wins/2lossses at etihad.
and 1 loss at MCG a week ago today.

Hopefully playing Pies at MCG will help for our next 3 games which are all at MCG and can help us get on a mini run if we win.

Hawks, Blues Geelong (It really was great of Sheedy to turn Cats game into a ā€œcountry gameā€ to get it moved from Etihad to the G.) Also nice to play hawks at the G too.

If we can scape a win over Hawks, beat Blues will be 4-4 and a chance against the Cats to move ahead of the ledger on win/loss scale. And ideally we need to win all three with games against Giants and Tigers to follow.

Alternatively a loss to Hawks and Blues and Season will be over and Blitz will be cutting up Membership cards.

I dont think we are good enough to carry injured/sore players, if a player isnt ready to go put your hand upā€¦Rumours of Daniher and Tippa carrying injuries worries me.

We have enough talent to win.
Saad and McKenna in we have a decent slingshot working out of defence.

But we need to win more stoppages around the ground and kick some easy goals from centre clearances and forward stoppages to ease the burden off relying solely on our defence to kick goals.

Well he wouldnt have to travel to Tasmania for a start!

contract extension after another embarrassing finals lossā€¦

Sydney were fast to get Stevie J on board like they did with Cox, Smart moves.

We should be talking to Nick Riewoldt, Imagine how much he could help Joe and our leading patterns, Creating space and work rate.

3 Likes

Riewoldt would have been snapped up immediately but appears media street his preference.

I wonder if we even contact these players though, Itā€™s clear other teams do, Are we giving ourselves the best chance to succeed, I mean Kelly is only here because he played for us.

Yes, I am aware of that. However a prudent business decision would be as woosha stated, we need 12 wins to get to finals. why wasnā€™t that his kpi for contract renewal and not round1?

1 Like

On bold bit - the issue is that he needs to decide where to go. He should know EXACTLY where he needs to go, and it should be one of two decisions MAXIMUM based on where he is on the ground (def 30 meters, half back line, wings, center, half forward, forward 30 meters). Now if the coaches have been teaching the players and they are not executing it then its on them mostly - mostly in that if the coaches havent communicated it well enough then they are partly responsible. And this / those decision are based firstly on ā€œdo we have the ballā€ or ā€œdont we have the ballā€ (Rob Shaw is absolutely correct that its ā€˜whole of teamā€™ attack and defense).

Biggest issue at the moment is that we are not playing ā€œteamā€ football, regardless of who is responsible for that.

** EDIT: This leaves room for individual brilliance, individual brilliance comes in when mistakes are made.

2 Likes

One minute we are losing our minds over the failed coaches we have on our current panel, but then we should go out and get Ratten. OKā€¦