Coaching Team Review - please make new plans for 2019

Whoever said that last year was eerily similar to 2009 and this year is eerily similar to 2010 was spot on.

• Limp into interstate elimination final and get belted? Check.
  • Overrate list and inexcusably extend coach’s contract after said elimination final belting? Check.
  • 2-5 after round 7 the ensuing year, with the whole show in obvious disarray? Check.

Cue the Benny Hill music, dubbed over the top of a looped video of Bill Murray putting his foot in the icy cold puddle in Groundhog Day.

8 Likes

Get rid of Mark Neeld. He is a cancer to football clubs.

5 Likes

I’m definitely in the camp that we need to clean out the assistants. I’d only keep Kelly.
As for who we get:

• I’d be looking for the best game day tactician we can find (I’m assuming Worsfold won’t be sacked). Caracella is obviously an option, but I’d be looking closely at Sydney. Also North Melbourne, because they’ve generally overachieved in Scott’s time. Is there a long serving assistant that has played a part in that (and there’s a fair chance we can give them a pay increase from what North are paying).
  • Can we pry anyone out of Hawthorn? This could be dangerous though. Apart from when they’ve taken senior jobs, have they lost an assistant coach they wanted to keep?
  • Get a player that retires at the end of this year. The only time in the last 15 years when our midfield was remotely good was when Goodwin was the midfield coach. So get someone like that who was a smart player from a good system. Jarrod McVeigh ideal (especially if we haven’t managed to snag anyone else from Sydney).
3 Likes

Leigh Tudor from all reports is one of the best assistants in the game currently at North I think.

As for Jarrod McViegh he would be a great get will instill toughness and smarts into the players.

2 Likes

Wasn’t there a lot of talk about Leigh Tudor about 4 or 5 years ago as one of the best coaches of the press?

I’d actually be looking at Jarrod Moore from North as well, if we can’t get someone like McVeigh. Moore played at Sydney and was even in their leadership group. He’s the midfield/stoppage coach at North now.

Remember there were rumours about Jarrod McViegh playing for a year at Essendon and then becoming an assistant coach.

The key thing you miss when you go on about stuff like that is, while pointing out our strengths, you assume no other team saw it or took it on board.

Fremantle showed everyone how to beat us. Now teams know simply dont allow your back 6 to follow our forwards all the way up the ground, just to get burnt.

The gameplan could be wonderful, the gameplan could be utter tripe.
But again you constantly miss targets by hand and foot, no gameplan will work.

Neeld may be the worst , maybe getting rid of him fixes some things.

But teams know how to stop us. The run and gun will work sometimes, but it cant be the only and predominate way we score.
You have to be able to hold up the play and hit targets and move it around.

Presuming it’s definitely his final year, what are the chances of BJ picking up a coaching role next year and beyond?

I have no clue whether Neeld is to blame.

I would have a little more information to go on, if he actually spoke in the coaches video after each match.

I’m still bitter about that Freo loss!

It was the start of Essington in my opinion. Typical Essendon performance where a close loss away is good enough.

IN: Blake Caracella, Brett Rattan, Peter Sumich, Robert Harvey, Dustin Fletcher

3 Likes

Hopefully none. The sooner he is out the joint the better.

You’re right we already have more than enough passion, high standards and will to succeed around the place

5 Likes

I think you are confusing passion, will to succeed and high standards for selfishness.

Do you really believe his team mates appreciate being berated while he picks up cheap kicks in the backline and turns over the ball gifting goals…

It’s how he has always played, and let’s be honest how many supporters have thought Joe and Zaharakis need a rocket so far this year? I’d say plenty. Probably wasn’t the best manner to have delivered it, but I dare say we’d be a much better club with a list full of players who care as much as he does.

1 Like

They are only a couple of examples and just because he has always played that way doesn’t make it right.

Not the sort of person i want near the club and hope he get’s the flick at the end of the year.

LIKE!!!

Except for Fletcher. Don’t think is really comfortable being a leader and putting it on guys to get better (sort of admitted it in his book)

1 Like

IN: ESSENDON GREATS
OUT: MARK ■■■■■■■ NEELD AND HAYDEN ■■■■■■■ SKIPWORTH

We had Essendon greats in Bomber and Hird how did that turn out?

If we were to bring back some one It would be Hird but as an assistant coach only.

We actually did really well except for the ASADA issue (Serious)

3 Likes